Off-Topic Discussion from "Colleges Crossed Off List or Moved Up After Visiting"

Furman and Wofford. Furman’s campus is beautiful. College of Charleston or The Citadel if you want some beach time. App State and surrounding area is also beautiful.

Driving in the south is easier. Roads are better and Flatter. A 2 hour drive from Charlotte is much easier than a 2 hour drive through any mountains.

3 Likes

What are the student’s interests and any idea of the GPA/test scores at this stage?

UNC-Charlotte, Queens, Belmont Abbey, JC Smith, Davidson are all in or right outside of Charlotte.

Catawba College is 1 hr away.

UNC School of the Arts, Wake Forest, Winston Salem State are 1:15 min away in Winston-Salem.

UNC-Greensboro, Guilford, Bennett College, Salem College are 1:30 away in Greensboro. Elon is 1:45 away.

UNC-Chapel Hill is 2-2:30 away, depending on traffic. Duke is 20 min from UNC. NC State is 30-40 min from UNC, depending traffic.

UNC-Asheville and Warren Wilson College are about 2 hrs from Charlotte. Appalachian State is about 2 hrs also. Lots of smaller colleges in the mountains, too, like Brevard, Lees MacRae, Mars Hill. Western Carolina University is about 3 hrs away from Charlotte.

UNC-Wilmington is 3:30.

In SC, you’ve got Clemson (2:15), Furman (just under 2 hrs), Wofford (1:15), USC (1:30), College of Charleston (3 hrs), Coastal Carolina (3 hrs).

I’m sure there are more little SC schools, but I don’t know them as well as I know the NC schools. I probably left out some NC schools, too. This is just off the top of my head and I didn’t include some that were farther away from Charlotte but still in NC.

7 Likes

This is fantastic and extremely helpful, @Sweetgum. There should be a thread composed of “Anchor Schools” like UNC from all across the country, followed by a list of colleges “relatively” close-by (if it doesn’t exist already.)

Salem College is in Winston-Salem…

1 Like

Thank you! He has a 4.0, 12 APs by graduation, all boys private school, but will be test optional. My concern is if southern schools are more sticklers on providing test scores than other areas of the country. I suppose this can be an entire thread of its own.

1 Like

I don’t know why southern schools would be any different from any other part of the country. BTW, California is test blind and will not accept test scores.

A few of my older son’s peers in the class of 22 went TO to the large southern flagship schools with little success so around our parts the school of thought it if you are applying to Auburn, Georgia, and the like you need to submit. My older son submitted scores and only applied to northeast and midwest schools, so this is all Scoir and mom group based.

Georgia and Florida publics require test scores. (Florida always did; Georgia was only TO one year.) I’m not sure about the privates. The last I checked most privates were still TO but that may not be the case now.

Haha. My three are doing the opposite. We live in DC metro and schools with urban campuses have been checked off the list. All three wanted separate, pastoral campuses.

4 Likes

My NYC daughter felt the same way. She’s enjoying the beautiful surroundings and tight knit community, and, to my delight, is happy to come home at breaks to get her city fix.

1 Like

Exactly! Both older ones love their campus & the cozy feel! Youngest is looking now. We did tour a few urban ones, they just didn’t find a spot on the list because of location.

This was posted on the other thread…but thought this was the place to discuss…

Two things…

The initial post that started this chain (by @mamaedefamilia ) stated that Haverford and BMC function as one. - That’s accurate when it comes to registering for classes. Housing, meals, athletics, etc. are all more siloed by the school.

The “Haver-bros” happen to be a minority, even at Haverford, which is 53% (2021) women. There is definitely a group that doesn’t socialize on the “other” campus, but that doesn’t mean it rarely happens. Ask any of the girls who attend Haverford, and they’ll tell you an awful lot of “mawrters” find their way to the campus for parties.

2 Likes

Hi - my post you’re quoting. The post I was replying wasn’t from @mamadefamilia but from another user who stated their kid wrote off BMC because it didn’t seem like a women’s college due to the bi-co, more like a co-ed school, which I disagreed with based upon my D21’s experience. Yes they can cross-register, eat at eachother’s dining facilities, live on eachothers’ campuses (although not many do) but I don’t think it is accurate to state that the colleges function as one. BMC is most definitely a women’s college, in history, name, feel, vibe, etc. I was just saying that it’s not a negative that there is the bi-co, and doesn’t take away from the women’s college experience. There are definitely many women attending BMC who go to parties and spend a lot of time on the Haverford campus, but the two are separate colleges and have separate student bodies. My D21 and her friends are Mawrters and wouldn’t consider themselves to be Haverford students, not sure all feel that way of course. Just my daughter’s experience. FWIW.

4 Likes

This is what I was responding to, fwiw.

1 Like

Blockquote
How was the weather at UNM? Whenever I thought of NM, only desert came to mind :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.
S24 was intrigued after reading your visit. But I am a bit worry about his asthma since NM looks… dry!
Blockquote

The weather was chilly compared to AZ but it was fine. My kids acted like they were freezing. If D24 attends here, she’ll definitely need a winter jacket but not a “Minnesota level winter coat.”

I haven’t been in Albuquerque in the summer when it’s dry AND windy, so I can’t speak to what allergies or asthma would be like at other times of year.

1 Like

We live in the Phoenix area. So by comparison to PHX, ABQ is maybe a smidge cooler in winter. And in the summer, I can tell from the weather averages that they don’t get nearly as hot as we do. What I don’t know is if the humidity in the summer is similarly low compared to AZ.

A friend of mine at work grew up in NM. So I asked him about allergies and he said that the wind often comes in fierce from the west into Albuquerque and a lot of people have issues with allergies as a result of that. But manageable with medication. He lives in Tucson now and has said that his allergies are similar in Tucson to Albuquerque.

NM is very arid, but it’s a different type of desert than in parts of AZ. NM is also very mountainous so if you want to get away from the heat and desert, it’s pretty easy to do that.

Our UNM housing tour guide said that in the afternoons, the mountain range that you can see from the study room in Hokona hall gets all pink as the sun is setting.

My coworker said as well that the sunsets in NM are great.

Side note: He’s half Navajo and said that as you drive from ABQ to Santa Fe, there’s all of this black volcanic rock along the side of freeway. He said that the area is an old volcanic lava flow and Native Americans believe that it’s from a sleeping dragon that will one day awaken at the end of the world.

6 Likes

Fascinating - never realized that “dragons” featured into Native American’s mythology.

2 Likes

Thank you for checking on the allergy info.

We might just have to visit the school once during summer and then winter, just to check the difference.

*Looks like there is not much to do along the way from Austin to Albuquerque, and will be a long long drive :grimacing:.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s gonna be a looooong drive. If you go up 183 from Austin, you should eat barbecue brisket at Underwood’s in Brownwood, TX - incredibly tender, and not really like any BBQ I’ve ever had anywhere else. Other than that…maybe the Billy the Kid Museum in Ft Sumner, NM? Just missed the annual Rattlesnake Roundup in Sweetwater, TX, it was last weekend. Once you get beyond I-20 headed west, you just have hours of endless fields, followed by more hours of endless desert until you hit the mountains outside ABQ.

2 Likes

He said that dragon wasn’t the exact word in English but was the closest.

2 Likes