Off-Topic Discussion from "Colleges Crossed Off List or Moved Up After Visiting"

Bellarmine! Lots of hills for sure.

1 Like

Maybe the student was confined to a wheelchair.

1 Like

Bingo! He loved it.

Because there were often 2" of ice under that dusting of snow. We call it I-70 weather (Denver, Kansas City, St Louis, Baltimore). I went to grade school in Wisconsin, were we had exactly TWO snow days during my time there. My brothers, in Baltimore, had many per year and often ‘late starts’. I was there once and could still see grass under the 1/2" of snow when they called school (but icy).

Here (Denver) it has been 80 degrees all week. Tomorrow 68, Friday 62, Sat 40 with rain/snow, and Sunday 31 with rain/snow. The weather caster just reminded people to blow out their sprinklers.

1 Like

I will say that the one time I had to abandon a car due to snowy roads was in Austin. My dad and I were driving to my parents’ house from campus (he was a prof and I was a grad student) and we got stuck. We started walking, and thank goodness a guy in a Jeep gave us a ride because it would have been a long walk!

exactly. S21s first year in North Carolina they had an ice storm and everything was shut down, it was terrifying. Big storms here in the North East are much easier to navigate

IMG_6475

6 Likes

Sorry about the bad quality of the graphic. The last one under New England is grumble that schools are delayed while still being expected at work.

4 Likes

As someone who grew up in the DC area, I always found it highly intelligent of us, and could never figure out why more people from other places didn’t get on board with it.

Think about it: Every time you get a half inch of snow, you get a mental health day off from work or school. Sounds like a win to me!

5 Likes

Makes me remember the poster whose kid dropped Lehigh when they saw deer on campus during their visit. I don’t know if that post is in the following thread, which should definitely be revived!

Which cracks me up bc we live 40 mins away from NYC, and I had to brake for deer running across the road today. Not to mention the bears…

That cute graphic left off the PNW. I was shocked when we moved out here. Our town of 25k has one plow that isn’t really used, they don’t salt the roads because it’s bad for the salmon, and everyone has to carry chains in the winter because they don’t plow or salt.

We live at 800ft and most people just wait for the snow to melt to leave the house. No one believes me when I tell them in Massachusetts they plow every road before you wake up in the morning.

12 Likes

Except many of us healthcare and other essential folks.

1 Like

(I mean, I thought it was pretty obvious it was a joke, you know?)

3 Likes

In the NYC (non-rural!) suburbs the deer are grazing by the residential roads, and won’t even bother to lift their head as cars are driving by a mere foot or two away. In NYC they have rats, in the suburban neighborhoods they have deer. Many nights I turn around my car in my driveway and my headlights hit a herd of deer who have bedded down on my lawn.

2 Likes

Watch out Goldilocks, the bears are coming home. (This was in Colo Springs this week)

The CU-Boulder campus had to shelter in place twice this summer for bears to be removed. Summer of '22 there was a badger walking down the main sidewalk. Badgers are pretty mean and dangerous.

In Florida, there are many critters in urban areas. They don’t know they aren’t supposed to be in the city.

2 Likes

You beat me to it @twoinanddone! I was just coming here to say that people who are uncomfortable with wildlife roaming around should steer clear of Colorado.

Deer, bears, mountain lions, moose, and sassy geese abound. A Boulder friend even had a resident bobcat; it was often spotted napping on her patio.

Tourists! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Better bear than moose.

Bears tend to act relatively rationally. Moose are unpredictable enough to be really scary.

4 Likes

bears have a bad habit of ripping the doors off parked cars to get at the granola bar left in the console or those french fries that have been on the floor for months (okay, years). They also like to walk into your kitchen and make a snack of sacks of flour or rice, or even open the fridge for some cheese.

2 Likes