Official "My Student is Having Too Much Fun to Come Home for Fall Break" Pity Party

<p>Gosh, I really wish there were “like” buttons on this forum, I would like every post in this thread.</p>

<p>My DD also did not come home. She is staying with a family friend in Bham. But technology is wonderful! Did a remote shopping excursion with her this afternoon! </p>

<p>I needed help picking boots, so I sat in Nordstrom Rack taking pics and sending them to her. Then called to get her advice. Not quite the same as shopping together, but fun none the less!</p>

<p>Mine made it home on Wednesday afternoon. We went to the grocery store and bought special stuff just for her visit. Yesterday, she went to visit a friend at another college and I haven’t heard from her since. I’m glad I got to see her for those few hours; they may be the only ones I get until Thanksgiving.</p>

<p>I’ve already talked with my son, who’s still a HS senior, about coming home next year. If he’s at Bama (or any of his other choices), he said that he will not be home for fall break, because it’s too short. Thanksgiving is questionable, too. So we probably will be taking a trip to see him. His older brother did not come home much while at Bama, and we were okay with that. Plane flights can be expensive, so a short visit is not always doable. My younger son said that when his HS held its homecoming a few weeks ago, a lot of his friends, who are college freshmen, were there. But most attend school within four or five hours of home.</p>

<p>Okay everyone, here is a positive for us that had the party this fall break~our hearts are not broken today as we would have had to say goodbye to our children. I just try to see some good in all situations and this is all that I could see. (And 23 days for thanksgiving break for all of those that have children coming home and 41 days for Christmas break)</p>

<p>^^That’s right. Fall break is over. I truly miss my D every day but I know she is in a great school. She spent fall break playing video games, doing lots of studying, and meeting with other students in one of her courses. When I start to miss her, I think of the 11 hour drive! Ugh! And the 11 hour drive home. Double Ugh! </p>

<p>I am in the 41 day group. I will have to wait until Christmas!</p>

<p>it’s ok people. this gradually coming home less and less is to get you all ready when they are living on their own and won’t be coming “home” to you at all.</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>As long as my sweet cats live in my house, my son will always come home. Sure, his Xbox will go with him when he graduates, but not my sweethearts!</p>

<p>We’ve had a great visit, and for the first time, I didn’t drive him back, but flew him back. As you can see on the other thread, this was not a good choice. Luckily, Thanksgiving flights back to school are already sold out, so we’ll be driving him back December 1st, but at least we had a nice long visit for Fall Break, which included a great movie viewing of Gravity 3D in IMAX, before Enders Game took its place at the local theater, and some much needed help rounding up my sweethearts for visits to the vet.</p>

<p>Also in the 41 day group and counting down to Christmas … :)</p>