***Official Thread for 2017 BSMD applicants***

Other than @bpc2017, anyone else hear from VCU today?

@sharc When we called UCONN couple of weeks ago, they said SPiM notifications will go out in couple of weeks. I am hoping sometime this week or early next week.

For anyone else getting denied: I have applied to 6 BS/MD programs and have been denied at Pittsburgh, Oklahoma, Case Western and Northwestern so far. I hope that makes you feel solidarity, or schadenfreude, whichever one makes you feel better, and that something will come out of all of my denials. On the positive side, got into 6 normal schools, and Oklahoma is looking very good financially.

@Walter924 My D is freshman at Oklahoma. So post or pm me if you need any info.
What are the other 2 BS/MD still waiting?

@sharc and @HS2DMed See the posts on 3/4 & 3/5. 2 folks mentioned UConn interview invitations were sent.

FYI. Do search UConn in the option below near the page # to quickly locate anything in this thread.

Thanks @GoldenRock . I Just checked. @amar12 said that the interview invitations are going out but not sure if he got one. Others were talking about either honors / UG admissions@UCONN. If anyone else got SPiM interview invite, please let us know. Thanks.

@Walter924 I totally feel you, this process is really rough! however, (and I know you probably hear this a lot), most doctors aren’t bs/md, and I know a surgeon who went to community college before transferring to a state school and then going to medical school, so really I think that the perseverance is what makes a doctor at the end of the day. I got rejected from almost all of the programs I applied to as well–it’s such a strange process and I still don’t know what exactly they look for (I got rejections from mid-tier and low-tier programs, but got an interview with a high-tier program). Congratulations on getting into SIX colleges ALREADY (that is a big deal and you should be so proud of yourself omg), and it’s awesome that at least one of them is looking good financially! best of luck with everything you and everyone else on this thread does–you’re not alone guys, and maybe things will look up for us four years from now! :slight_smile:

My DS got Cornelius Vanderbilt Scholarship today. That re-opened BSMD vs traditional approach discussion.

aiight u alrdy know ya boi got into Union/AMC doctor squad we outchea

@srk2017. Congrats!

@srk2017 Congrats

Thanks @GoldenRock and HS2DMED. The same concern here. Uconn is my first choice, but haven’t heard anything from Uconn yet. Last week, I got a mail from Uconn and was told I was accepted just by general admission.

Congratulations @srk2017

@xXLegoMan1999Xx ayeee same lol

Got an interview with Stony Brook!!

@misophoniax how did you find out? Email or portal?

Congrats! @misophoniax

@thatcho email! @dualmd2017 thank you! :slight_smile:

Congrats @srk2017!

@srk2017 congrats! It’s an interesting discussion to have to decide between a confirmed seat in a mid tier BSMD or a confirmed seat in a high tier undergrad like Vanderbilt with a full scholarship. If you go the traditional route your DS would have to come out of Vanderbilt with a perfect or near perfect GPA, score high on the MCAT, do the volunteer and research to have a shot at a top tier US med school. Going the BSMD route means your “seat at the table” is reserved and in the case of AMC, your DS does not have to take the MCAT, or worry about volunteer hours. Research is definitely still on the table though. However, the chances of getting the high end residency assignment would be greater assuming your DS went to Vanderbilt and then was accepted to a high tier med school like Harvard or Stanford than going thru a mid tier program like AMC. Though going the traditional route, in 4 years the chances of getting into a US med school is still about 2% (like it is now with BSMD) but instead of competing against 1000 per program or so applicants like you are now you could be competing against 12,000-15,000 applicants per program. Financially you are saving yourself $120,000 assuming your DS is an RPI medalist (if not you’d be saving even more) for the 3 years you wouldn’t have to pay RPI, by getting the free ride at Vanderbilt. It’s definitely an interesting choice. Good luck with your decision.