***Official Thread for 2017 BSMD applicants***

Thank you @path2md @Mom22DDs and @GoldenRock
UCF website does have this details

• Students admitted to the program reserve a seat in UCF’s College of Medicine upon completion of their undergraduate studies at UCF with the University Honors AND Honors in the Major distinction.
  • 512 MCAT
  • 3.75 GPA
  • 2 advisers reco 2nd year
  • 3rd year interview
  • 4 years (no accelaration)

U Toledo
BS/MD students are guaranteed an interview with the College of Medicine Admissions committee through an early admissions pathway provided they maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.5 in the bioengineering program.

Is 3.75GPA an issue @ UCF, considering some schools has built in weeder courses.

@chocolatina1001 It depends on what other programs you got accepted including UG only. My D is in that program and so far she seems to be happy. OU program is flexible and is not stressful since it is 4+4. You need to have same or above the average of prior year admitted students MCAT and sGPA score (508, 3.7+). If you are NMF you can save lot of money for your MD since free tuition (still u will spend around $7k / year for other fees + travel cost from your home base). GL.

@SFBayStudent Most important question I have regarding UCF: Is there an interview student need to go thru for confirmation or not? If no interview, then it is good. Other conditions are common and most programs expects you. The challenge with Toledo, is you are guaranteed for an interview and not for admission. That means nothing to me.

@GoldenRock Thank you. I understand the salient distinction. The link below is from UCF.

http://honors.ucf.edu/admissions/bmsinterview
Students must provide UCF COM with a current CV every year during the first week of class in fall semesters, starting with the beginning of year 2. They must pass an interview at the College of Medicine in early fall (August/September) of the 3rd year.

Also, UCF did not interview prior to acceptance!
Don’t other programs have Medical application requirement at the end of BS? does that exclude interview?

@SFBayStudent Exactly. As my prior posts, it is important every one must read every fine points and review carefully before making the final decision. For the specific 2 examples UCF and Toledo are in the same boat. So would suggest to review along with other good UG only programs you got accepted.

Yes there are few programs, though you have to still take MCAT and apply the AAMCS application, there is no interview and I believe there is an option to indicate in the app, it is for a specific program. Here invariably the MD admission directors participate in the interview along with UG program office. So every thing is squared prior to admission to BS/MD program.

@SFBayStudent @GoldenRock from my understanding toledo does not require you to take the MCAT if you are going to Toledo Medical School, but if you take MCAT you can apply out.

@screenname2017 That is good piece of information. But if they still expect student to undergo interview, there is a chance if student does not get selected, then that will take more time now to get into regular route since student has to take MCAT and then reapply next year.

@GoldenRock Toledo gives you interview the third year, so student would know if they got accepted by end of third year and if not can’t they study for MCATs and take it and apply to med schools by end of fourth year of undergrad ?

@screenname2017 That makes sense. Then it is better. Sure, once they know the result one way or other, they can focus on the regular path. Thanks for letting this forum know with those details.

@Undecided3494, So it appears that getting selection from Union/AMC “under consideration” list is a very long shot. I think I found my choice program elsewhere, so even if I get a selection in Union/AMC, it will be off my list.

@midwestFem It isn’t a long shot really it just means that they wanted to see the second round of applicants before they made a final decision on who to accept, because they are basically just ranking each applicant that they interview . The “under consideration” students are the applicants who weren’t ranked highly enough to warrant acceptance in the first batch before being compared with the second round of applicants.

is anyone familiar with how the Rice/Baylor interview works? is it one-on-one, a panel, a series of consecutive interviews, etc.? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks so much (:

Hello,
My D got accepted to both UCF BMS ( 4+4) & FAU Medical scholar (3+4) programs with Full ride. Which one to choose?

I need help. Any feedback on U Toledo BS/MD and SLU Med scholars versus Emory UG.

@florida789 - UCF seemed to have good residency matches this year. Please see my posts on page 186. I couldn’t find the Match Day list for FAU, but from the news articles, it looks like they had very good matches too. If you can get the 2017 matchday list for FAU, please share with us here.

Need thoughts on BU’s curriculum for BSMD program from the perspective of studying for MCAT. Specifically, they require 80th percentile in MCAT with the test taken by January of the third year. However, they require students to take biology & 3 electives the summer of 2nd year and the biochemistry course is offered in third year. Does this make it difficult to achieve the required 80th percentile in MCAT? Thanks.

It’s kinda sad that folks weigh in more readily AMC, BU, NU but not about UCF, FAU, UToledo. To me, this indicates that students/parents in some programs stay engaged more than students/parents in other programs. Would be good for those of us seeking advice on specific colleges but not finding it to remember to give back to this forum in the future, so we could help those considering the programs our kids end up choosing.

In that context, I’d like to thank @GoldenRock, not just for the generous advice on OU but on BSMD in general. Many thanks to the other veterans on this forum including @narkor and @texaspg, and current parents like @srk2017 that are generous with their time and inputs. I have also reached out individually to many parents and students in various programs and they have taken the time to provide valuable advice time and again. You are all my inspiration to stay engaged here beyond my daughter’s admissions.

@mom22dds - That’s nice of you. I also learned lot of information on this thread from veterans you mentioned and I will continue to participate in this thread and future year threads even if my S end up not joining a BSMD program. As of now, he is leaning against BU for Vandy but he is waiting for the big day tomorrow and he also has an important tournament to think about.

The reason I am not able to comment about Florida schools is when we evaluated potential schools, one of the mandatory criteria is conditionally guaranteed MD admission at the time of UG admission. Except of UM, none of the schools fit that criteria at least last year and hence I did not do further research on that. Toledo initially I looked at it since I am familiar with that area and have visited Toledo school 25+ years back but the moment I realized it also did not meet our criteria. My D was prepared for regular route and now also we feel that is a better choice from our perspective.

Note, there are very few programs which allow early acceptance from any college, there was one in Florida and one in New York. So you can choose whatever UG to start with and try that during UG years. Also many early assurance programs within the university which offers UG and SOM.

Besides the name mentioned in the above post, there were few parents from last year who contributed and thanks to them also. Like @Empire007 @Undecided3494 to name a few.

@studenttttt Since RB is so late in the game, not much info heard. Search last year threads with Rice or Baylor. GL.