***Official Thread for 2017 BSMD applicants***

Hello all, I have joined in at the tail-end of this year’s process (better late than never). Looked through some of the posts and felt I could have been a more informed parent by joining in earlier. Congratulations to all who got acceptances and best wishes to those who did not - be proud of your achievements so far and continue to work towards your goal!
My DS got wait-listed at UTSA FAME. Unfortunately, the number of seats have been cut back to half this year at FAME. Any input on what are the chances of getting a spot in the program? Don’t know how many are on the wait-list and what number he might be on the list. He has a couple other acceptances but prefers to stay in Texas.

@florida789 Since UCF and FAU are on the same level from admission to MD criteria’s, unless there is so much difference in their UG or their MD schools, would weigh towards FAU since they are giving full ride.

Moms22,and all Thanks four post , comments and advice . I agree we all need to contribute . In my case I am still learning and hopefully I will be able to contribute going forward
UM does not have 7 year. Only UCF & FAU have accelerated MD programs in Florida

@GoldenRock - I believe @florida789 has full ride to both schools. UCF is 4+4, UFA is 3+4, and that could make for the choice if there is a preference on # of UG years. FAU size is smaller compared to UCF, even for medical school (about 60 vs 120). UCF has higher than typical GPA (3.75) and MCAT (512), not sure about FAU. FAU does not require interview during UG as they do it before giving admissions, UCF has interview at beginning of third year of UG. So, FAU appears to be more guaranteed than UCF, though current students at UCF said interview is more a formality. Hope that helps @florida789 , and please let us know once your child has decided.

@babySimba1 Suggest break it in to a 2 step process. First finalize if you want to go with BS/MD route or regular route.
Second, choose between Toledo versus SLU. Here I will say both are similar. So weigh other factors like cost, close to home base etc

But for step 1, you need to make the call since have Emory is good choice too. GL

@bsmd2017ss I would say it is better. It is always good when exams like MCAT are just after your current course like BioChem in 5th semester and you take exam right away. They have structured the course by design so it should work.

GoldenRock and Moms22DD . Thanks for your insight . We r going to Burnett info session on Mar31 Friday . after that she will be able to decide . Yes she has full ride on both schools

Seeking advice/ thoughts on DD admission: She has following admissions:

1. BS/DO program - guaranteed admission, No MCAT
  2. BS MD - SLU and UMiami HPM, both not guaranteed – interview in 2nd and 3rd year
  3. Regular admission: some noteworthy UT Austin(In State-10K), USC(Spring 18, 50K), Emory(50K), UPitt(15K), UConn - All fees exclude room and board

Please validate our assumptions:
A. Our research indicates that DO is easier to get in and MD has better chances of getting residences.
B. BS MD - both are not guaranteed

Debating whether to pick a less renowned DO program or consider non guaranteed MD program or go with regular route. If traditional route, do we see success to get into MD for student who had high school score 34 ACT, 4.19 GPA (or 3.75/4.00)
Thanks!

@Forpeople

1. Which BS/DO program and did you check their match results?'
  2. Texas has lot of medical schools, so less pressure than other states and cost is also much lower.
  3. most combined programs are private and expensive.

Now a days DOs are getting good residencies too.

@ForPeople, I can give my opinion based on my experience, on your No.1 option. Given your DD’s stats, I wouldn’t sign up for BS/DO at this stage. She should take all opportunity to get in to MD program, since it gives edge in better Residency. If it comes to choosing DO path, she can get admission after Undergrad with good options that she has.

@srk2017 - 1. It is brand new program starting with with MSSU/ Kensas City University (opening new college in Joplin, MO. )

@ForPeople - Isn’t it an extension of an existing DO program? I believe it was mentioned on this site. Please search the site.

@srk2017 - KCU runs DO program in KC…MSSU/KCU is offering combined program first time.

we were told DO programs are much less competitive than MD programs and if considering combined DO programs, the only one worth looking at was MSU’s.

@ForPeople Some feedback.

1. Take UT Austin
  2. If going via BS/MD route, go for UM than SLU
    3/ If going for DO, good news, things are going to blur to some extent (between MD and DO) and already some actions in motion. Read various threads and posts in pre-med topics and SDN. The 2 controlling orgs are evaluating and already DO streamlining to follow similar rules like MD. For example, no longer will replace any subject gpa if taken again.

All of us can give our own views (freely!). But it is important, how ever hard, to find from your child. After all s/he is the one going to study and live and need to adopt to the new life at this challenging age. Hope s/he visited all the colleges you have mentioned and could get a feel for it and has some thing to say either way to make the evaluation. At least based on HS GPA and test scores, very capable and can achieve the goal if the determination and follow up is there for the remaining 3-4 years. GL.

@ForPeople - I agree with @GoldenRock feedback fully. My only question is how rigorous is her school work and how tough is to get 3.75+ GPA at her high school.

@srk2017 Her school is very very competitive, nationally ranked @ 21. She had lots of AP and tons of extra curricular.

@ForPeople - If that’s the case I would go with UT Austin.

Just saw portal, my DS got accepted to Drexel/Drexel!!

Update on DD: Accepted to Drexel (20.7k Merit Scholarship for UG) and Temple (Full Tuition for UG). She is a NMF and will have 1/2 tuition NMF Scholarship at USC. Any advise will be most welcome.