***Official Thread for 2017 BSMD applicants***

Yes, DD got into both Temple and Drexel BA/BS/MD. Same issue here.

@path2md thank you!

what are the restrictions for Temple program?

It looks Temple has a better medical school. It requires to maintain 3.6 gpa and 75% mcat. However it is not guaranteed, students have to go thru an interview. From the number of applicants, Drexel program seems to be more popular than Templeā€™s even if it is more expensive and its medical school is ranked lower.

@BS_MD2017 @srk2017 congrats. Great achievements. @srk2017 is it UPenn LSM or MLS?

is there a group for temple bsmd admits?

Is there a group for Union/AMC LIM admits

@HS2DMed - Thanks. Itā€™s MLS, not LSM.

Congrats @srk2017 ! Iā€™d say free tuition at Vandy trumps Penn without merit, so it looks like a tough choice between between BU & Vandy. Have you tried asking BU for merit aid?

for all the drexel decisions, has anyone heard specifically from lehigh/drexel bs md?

@grtd2010 @ninject110 Both Temple and Drexel for BS/MD programs going to be similar in many respects and not going to make any difference if you choose 1 over the other. Both are in the same Phily urban and have similar ranking in UG and same cost for MD $55k. So find out how your child felt about both schools when visited during interview and/or have any one studying there to get feedback and decide.

If I have to make a call I will go with Temple than Drexel. But it is purely personal and biased for the following reasons. Assumption you have not got any aid.

1. UG will cost $100k more for Drexel (which is not worth a penny extra for UG)
  2. Temple Medical ranking is higher than Drexel
  3. Temple has more teaching staff (1:1 compared to Drexel 0.6:1)
  4. Classes and hospital are at 2 different location for Drexel (though they have a bus). But it looks like it is in the same location for Temple (I am not 100% sure since I have not visited Temple).
  5. We visited only Drexel and my D told she will not join Drexel even if she gets selected (fortunately she was rejected!). But my friend's son went to Lehigh / Drexel and they informed they are ok and did not have anything to say good or bad.

Here is my understanding to answer one of question raised about Temple. The BS/MD program is guaranteed for 4 + 4. But there is an option to go for 3 + 4 and for that there is an interview at the end of 1st semester based on your 1st semester GPA. But make sure to get it confirmed from Temple and not rely on what I interpret.

Also suggestion for all: Donā€™t rule out completely any wait listed program (I know some of you have). It is not yet over. For all you know if you are waitlist is a better choice and you may end up getting acceptance and then you donā€™t have worry about schools where you heart is not totally clicked. GL.

One thing I could not understand. Though Temple is a public school, did not see 2 rates for MD. So not sure what and how the SOM is structured and the reason for a single fee. If it is a public school, though you are OOS now, at least you can explore if there is an option to become IS in the next 3-4 years (though the rules are normally strict. Who will give up free money from parents / students!)

@BS_MD2017 - Congrats to your daughter. I am sure she is super super smart! My daughter, I thought had an excellent record with ACT 35; GPA-3.98/4.0 (top 1% of 750+ graduating seniors in one of the top suburban schools in Chicago); 11 AP courses (with all 4ā€™s and 5ā€™s taken so far) and even in the senior year, very high end courses like Multi-variable calculus, etc and tons of volunteer hours and other accolades and multi-talented - Indian Classical Dancer and Singer, so far secured only 1 out of 4 BS/MD combined programs she applied for! Northwestern HPME and Case Western BS/MD didnā€™t even give her interview! Only consolation is Case Western has given her merit award of 29.5K/year for BS. She is still anxiously waiting for UIC GPPA medicine results where she was one of the first few candidates to be interviewed first in early January. She wants to be in Chicago close to the family.

@WGSK88 donā€™t feel too bad, for your daughter to only have applied to 4 BSMD programs and to secure 1 admissionā€¦ a 25% success rate is excellent in this ultra competitive process.

@GoldenRock thanks for the reply. Confused which would be a better choice. A school which states no MCAT required but have to file the application through AAMC application to that school (St. Bona /GWU) or a school that has MCAT requirement eg. Stony Brook but doesnā€™t need you to apply through the AAMC application. Even though both state admission is guaranteed as long as you maintain a certain GPA/ activities / (MCAT in case of Stony but no application thru AAMC, No MCAT but application through AAMC to GW in case of St. Bona /GWU. Any suggestions what to look forā€¦ Help!!

@Salvadortrail the 2 biggest advantages with Stony Brook is if you are a NYS resident your tuition over the undergrad years will be minimal. Stony Brook is generous on scholarships as well. Also the med school portion the tuition is also very reasonable compared to other schools. Plus that massive hospital they have adjacent to the campus is also a Suffolk County Trauma center which could provide students during clinicals a wealth of experience. The other advantage is the location is very suburban and living around that area is very safe, unlike other hospitals/med schools which could be in the middle of the inner city urban areas. (From a parents point of view that could be important). Stony Brook is one of the toughest schools to secure admission to BSMD because of the huge cost savings to NYS residents (many instate applicants to fill only around 8 seats) so congrats to you for securing an admission.

@wgsk88 - Yes, BS/MD process is very unpredictable (lot of kids with great stats and good ECs and hard for colleges to pick) and if getting BS/MD is a top priority, lot of veterans of the process recommended applying broadly. My Son chose to apply to 6 top tier programs and one mid tier program and ended up getting two interviews (admitted to both). From the beginning he wants to compare with regular UG admissions and decide and hence applied more broadly to UG than BS/MD. GL on UIC GPPA.

@GoldenRock , @Roentgen , @texaspg ,
Dear Experts,
I would thank you all from the bottom of my heart. You guys are incredible in helping so many families . I have been observing cc for more than a year now and you guys are awesome.
BSMD track is over for my DS. ACT : 34, GPA- UW 3.89, W 4.8, Lots of AP and 24 Uconn ECE, lots of hospital volunteer , EMT and internships , just one interview with AMC program- reject post interview.
has left with some choices.

1. Uconn Honors program ( STEM )- Good Scholarship - CT resident
  2. NYIT - BS/DO
  3. some decent undergrad- BU honors, Villanova, RPI ( not as decent as Uconn Scholarship)
    We donā€™t know where my DS lagged. Now time to move onā€¦ I guess. BS/DO vs Uconn ? Leaning towards Uconn at this point. Any suggestions guys.

@WGSK88 I agree with @srk2017 One should apply broadly if BS/MD is the top priority and ensure at least 1 college in each tier. Also as @Empire007 mentioned its a decent success rate with the BS/MD process getting more competitive each year. GL on UIC.

@chesscrazy - does UConn have any early entrance program where you can apply to medical school during sophomore and junior year? If so, that would be attractive.

I heard MD/DO residencies are getting merged in 2021. Iā€™m not sure if that is favorable for DO or unfavorable. If favorable, BS/DO might be better option of your son is keen on medical career.

Could the veterans here guide us novices on how to compare Match lists? I saw a lot of ivy names in the residencies for the schools I compared but some of those are in Italic while rest are normal text. The italicizes ones say ā€˜Translationalā€™ or ā€˜Preliminaryā€™. Preliminary is sometimes by itself, other times with something else, like ā€˜prelim/dermatologyā€™ . Could the lnowledgeable ones here please educate the rest of us on what these mean and how to interpret/compare?