***Official Thread for 2017 BSMD applicants***

Wait for another week. Both are excellent schools but Pitt will save you $200+ in UG which is not a change.

@dblazer @GoldenRock and @Mom22DDs,

Thank you so much for your insights.

I would agree with @GoldenRock . If money is not a concern and you want you son to have an amazing college life, Brown has an edge over Pitt. For those of us, where $200k is reasonable amount of funds, Pitt GAP wins over Brown PLME easily.

If anyone is aware of changes that happened/may happen to UT San Antonio FAME program due to funding cut this year, please share.

All - please share your stats and decisions in results thread as you move on to the next chapter in your life. It will help students and parents pursuing BSMD path in future years.

Will be doing that very soon. Just waiting on all results and a final decision.

I would also like to know why there were only 10 positions offered this year

@jujuboo and @summershine - what chsnged with FAME?

We learnt on interview day that the funding for UTSA FAME is no longer available this year (guessing something similar to UT PACT?) However, the school of medicine seems to be very supportive of the combined program and thus able to continue the program. My understanding is the seats are cut back to accommodate needs of bsmd students with whatever funds are available at this time. There was also a mention of their Seminar classes being discontinued for this reason and would be replaced with something comparable.
If someone with a better understanding of what loss of funding entails and how it impacts the outcome for prospective students can share their wisdom, it might help students make an informed decision.
Personally, for us being Texans, the program continues to be of high priority for all the benefits it has to offer.

Thank you @summershine . Do you know if the funding impact is across all BSMD programs in Texas, including UH HBS 3+4?

Not heard of anything regarding UH HBS funding changes.

Thank you @summershine !

is anyone considering california northstate?

Pact shut down fame only 10 seats now UMSI 8 seats.
Kids not doing good and unhappy with utsa. Multiple kids refused admission last year. No great scholarship either. Utsa only has a six year graduation rate of 11 percent which is pathetic
I do t know how they prepare kids for med school and mcat exam

UMSI looks. Great choice. No mcat and good scholarship third ranked med school in Texas behind UT Southwestern and Baylor
Also a great city

no MCAT sounds good . How are residency matches after completing MD?

Very goog

Utsa fame asks for mcat

Case PPSP decisions are out! I got in for Med!

DD got into Case PPSP.