***Official Thread for 2017 BSMD applicants***

@pittorv, can you tell us how did U Pitt medschool contact you? We were told that the committee will meet on 4/10, and results will be released around 4/17. I called the U Pitt medschool now, the lady said the results will be announced in 2nd week of April, and it is not finalized. I am confused!!

@path2md You are right. We also got the information that they will be released in the week of 10th.

Hereā€™s what I have, kinda general:
32 ACT
3 AP World History, AP calc expecting a 5, AP Lang expecting a 5, AP chem expecting 4
GPA (unweighted): 4.0 (straight Aā€™s)
GPA (weighted): 4.75 (will cap out by next year)
Ethnicity and Gender: Indian male

Extras:
-Played tennis for 4 years highschool - playing senior tennis competitively next year
-CEO and founding a company thatā€™s medically related (focuses on the oral hygiene of the homeless) - goes hand in hand with a club I founded called Kickstarter club (of which I am the president)
-junior representative and future president of NHSSM
-4 years orchestra; 1st chair for three years
-Indian classical singing 2 years
-science bowl team 2 years
-volunteering in India over the summer in vans that go to villages and provide health aid
-physician shadowing, 2 hours a week on average for about two years
-highschool is a magnet one - im in the biomedical program
-top student awards in computer science and English
-will graduate with advanced honors diploma

I am EXTREMELY determined to get to med school one way or another, but Iā€™m curious to see what you guys think about my chances for a BSMD program (Iā€™m in Nevada so I can apply to the UNR program). Thank you to all who tell me what you think!

@iGandalf low ACT honestly, need subject SAT minimum - Math 2, Chem or Physics for some BSMD programs. There will be tonnes of Asians (including Indians) with much higher Stats than yours.

@grtd2010 so the requirement for UNR bsmd is a 29 which I have 3 points over. Do you think that the formation of a company and the other extracurricular/medical related activities would make up for that?

@iGandalf donot know about UNR (Not a Nevada resident). No if you want to apply outside of Nevada, high GPA and high Stats are a minimum requirement for Asians because of the other Asians who apply. Starting a company is NOT a big deal for a future MD. It is just a paper work with state.

Sorry for the repeated questions @Mom22DDs you have been truly helpful. I hear you about your doubts regarding HBS. But do you know when U of H 3/4 will release the decisions, or at least a time frame? Itā€™s been over a month since the interview after all, and housing for other potential schools is getting full.

@grtd2010 agh okay so I definitely have the GPA and I feel like I moderately have the stats, so would you agree with my chances at maybe being a 50%? I know for Nevada itā€™s higher since the people here arenā€™t too competitive and you canā€™t apply there from out of state.

@srk2017 Iā€™m new to the college need based /merit aid scenarios. You mentioned to @pittorv that he can negotiate with UPitt if he is comfortable with high GPA and MCAT requirement. I know the program has a high GPA, but there is no MCAT requirement, so Iā€™m confused. Also, when you say negotiate, do you mean negotiate need based? Iā€™m pretty sure merit based scholarships are not negotiable. Last question. Does BSMD change the merit package for GWU/GWU, Union/AMC, or Pitt/Pitt?

@iGandalf even though the ACT requirement for UNR BSMD is 29, donā€™t take that to mean that just because you scored a 32 that you would still be in serious consideration. Just about all of the candidates who post on this board have scores and stats WELL ABOVE what the minimum requirements that BSMD programs publish. Keep in mind that each program has minimum criteria that they require just to look at your application, if the candidate doesnā€™t meet those minimums they wonā€™t even look at that persons application. Iā€™ll be honest as well and agree with @grtd2010 in that your ACT score is very low for this competitve process. I suggest retaking it if you can. Also if you are applying in to schools in the NE you should consider taking the SAT as well trying to score >1500 (M+CR). As suggested by @grtd2010 each school has requirements for SAT II subject tests, so start researching the schools you plan on applying to and make sure that you have those. To answer your question in post #3146, your EC and grades are impressive. But I would not just bank on that, thus try to raise your standardized test scores.

@iGandalf, if you are a junior. Consider hiring an ACT coach to help you improve your ACT. any point will increase your chance. Target Nevada universities that reserve most of the seats for instate only will increase your chance. But apply out to every program, if you can afford the travel expenses. The first challenge is to get an interview. I have the impression -> once one is invited to an interview, the credentials on paper became secondary, the interview itself became the decision point of being selected or not selected.

Correction to my post on FAU:
FAU does require GPA (3.7 overall, 3.5 science GPA), MCAT (507-510 depending on overall GPA), completed primary and secondary application to FAUCOM with LORs, and interview by Med Pipeline committee to confirm admission.

@sundog123 - we are also clueless like all of you. Hope it comes out soon.

@bsMD38 - You can negotiate merit based scholarships at lot of schools. It helps if you have better offers from similar s or higher ranked schools. I donā€™t think medical school outcome is a factor in the schools you mentioned. But schools like BU tend to not give limited number of scholarships to BSMD candidates so itā€™s accelerated program and you save 1 yr UG costs.

@iGandalf - As others said your ACT is tad low for good programs. Every kid who is applying for BSMD have similar ECs. Starting a company/club is no big deal unless you have great results. Volunteering in India during summer may be suspicious to some colleges. It all comes down how well you articulate in your essays and how you respond during the interview. For now try to get ACT >= 34, Get 2 sat IIs close to 800 .It appears you donā€™t have academic awards beyond school level. GL.

@ShamuBSMD17 Typically one of the admits makes a facebook page and shares the link onto the Union College Class of 2021 page for people to join

Hey everyone! I just committed to the TCNJ/NJMS seven year program and made a Facebook group so anyone else who commits can get to know each other. The page is TCNJ/NJMS SMEDā€™s class of 2024.

@srk2017 @Empire007 thank you so much for your honesty! As a junior entering the end of the school year (and since Iā€™ll be gone for most of the summer), I really donā€™t have much of an opportunity to improve my ACT score which is really bugging me. If I get high 700 scores on my subject tests would that make a difference? And, as a summation, is the act score an instant no go, iffy at best, or 50-60% chance as far as admissions go. Is there anything that could kind of act as a padding to my ACT score if it is that bad (like to make up for lost ground if it realy is that bad). Also, why would colleges be skeptical of a volunteering trip to India? I thought it would be good since its a third world country and Iā€™ll be going out on vans to remote villages and be helping people (etc.)?

@iGandalf I believe most programs accept standardized test scores taken till October of senior year. If that is still the case you would be able to take your ACT again this September or October. Check with the respective program.

Do programs superscore?