***Official Thread for 2017 BSMD applicants***

@Colleg2018 I cannot speak for grading at Penn State, but as with most good programs grading will not be easy but should be doable. Meaning it won’t be a cake walk like it was in HS to the many gifted students on this board. Better not to fear it, but accept it and push forward.

@Empire007 Fully understood. Your first hand info is truly helpful. Thanks.

@KingNero post #3460 was meant to be addressed to you. I apologize for the mistake

@Colleg2018 Typically 15-20% A’s are given in university core pre-med classes. The core pre-med courses are graded on bell curve so getting a 4.0 GPA is not easy in college compared to HS. You will need a very high GPA probably 4.0 to get into a MD/PhD program. Aim for 4.0 GPA in HS.

I dug this up about Phy-Sci program at RPI for those interested:

Timeline

Spend semesters one through five exclusively at Rensselaer. Split your sixth semester between Rensselaer and AMC. Begin research that extends over your third and final year at Rensselaer and into the summer preceding your first year of medical school.

Earn your B.S. in Biology at the end of your fourth year, and earn your M.D. at the end of your seventh year.

Research and Industrial Experience

Most students pursue undergraduate research in faculty laboratories. Many seek industrial experience through Rensselaer’s Cooperative Education Program.

Curriculum

During the first three years at Rensselaer, the curriculum involves 70 percent premedical science courses and 30 percent liberal arts. The student then enrolls at AMC, and a number of science courses are transferred back to Rensselaer so the candidate graduates from Rensselaer with his or her entering class.

Students are ideally positioned to accomplish sufficient research to graduate from medical school with special recognition: the MDDR (the MD with Distinction in Research). Some students may elect to earn a Ph.D. by applying to the graduate studies program at AMC. By interrupting their medical school training between the second and third year and entering the graduate studies program, students can earn a Ph.D. in three years. During their graduate training students enjoy full tuition remission and earn a competitive stipend.

@grtd2010 and @Volunteerism
Thanks for the link . I appreciate it very much . I agree that colleges might weed out no of Pre Med applicant to boast a huge percentage,
I will catch up on the last few posts before I reply
Thanks again

@College2017 Congratulations on your DD’s full tuition waiver! Awesome.
And thanks for your extensive response.
Your experience is very similar to ours as well. The sense that we got is that pre-med course work will be extremely tough wherever one ends up and a lot depends on how proactive the students are themselves as pre-med/pre-health advising at most schools is very limited.
Yes, GAP director told us during interview explicitly that she strongly advises GAP students against taking honors classes for a better shot at the required 3.75 GPA

We were also told at one of our several visits to Pitt that there are numerous research opportunities available to pre-med students because of UPMC but nothing about the difficulty of securing some of the opportunities. In fact they made it sound as if it will be pretty easy if the student makes the effort. We were told that GAP students get priority, but other pre-med students can just approach professors for research opp. as well.

We probably need to dig a little deeper into this as DD is seriously considering Pitt.

To bring this back up - is anyone thinking about the GW/GW program? Any opinions? Thanks!

@grtd2010 Policy in general “All students are required to sit and record a score for USMLE Step 1 after the satisfactory completion of the second year and prior to starting third year clerkships”… Since content of the USMLE Step 1 would be taught in the first 2 years of medical school, preparation before start of medical school would not be too helpful.

@Volunteerism
Reg your post #3440 comparing UF over UCF BMS (
" I would rank UF premed track over UCF and USF BSMD options")

please could you elaborate and provide more insight as to why ? , because my D needs to decide in next 10 days . Appreciate all pros and cons with stat

Kingnero
I went to Penn state.
It is a big university and class are huge in freshman sophomore year… more of a weeding
So there is a curve… one needs to stay ahead of class work
There is no overnighter… for the volume of work is large
The secret is balance… one hard and one easy science to maintain 3.5

But this is not that hard
Real premed have to get all A’s

Kingnero
Penn state is huge and one of an amazing experience in regard to sports i.e. football, large Amt people >100k, variety of courses frat scene
But I caution, it is like a big city. There is so much opportunities and this is also bad… and people can lose focus, party too hard etc…
If you want a small warm - place where you know everyone in campus…where it is like high school, this is not it…
Medical school
sK led or Jeff is well known and down in philly
And truly well respected medical school
Last year 10 k applicant for eight hundred interviews and two hundred offers
You are joining a small elite…

DendyP
congrats on so many acceptance for bsmd. Many would kill for one… which leads to my question…
Many premed student are no longer premed for the first two years are weeding out Year and destroys dreams.
Now I realize your child is special to be accepted into so many but is a bird in hand worth more than two is a bush . I personally knew as a dream I wanted to practice medicine.
A med school acceptance is an acceptance for person to become a doctor and practice medicine

DendyP
Mcat score is just a number but I don’t think the psu Jeff number mcat required is bad…505 which correlated to 27-8 on old mcat

@DendyP - I concur with @bearchichi ! You have solid acceptances. Not sure if you want to turn those down and apply after 4 years, maybe to some of the same programs. You’ve some great choices. Good luck with your decision, eager to see what you decide.

@dendyp Need to do MCAT is a reason for not taking up BS/MD program is interesting. MCAT is a one aspect in the admission process. Even if some one scores super high, have to go thru the grind and really taking a chance.
2 examples with MCAT 39. One from UPenn and did not get and eventually took a job and decided not to pursue medicine. Another from Caltech, took 2 years of job (after UG) and further solidifying medicine related activities before managed to get a MD. She got a decent MD schools and not low tiers, especially with PennState.
No question she has accomplished a lot and very capable to get MD in the regular route and let her make the decision.

Hey! I’ve been accepted into GWU, VCU, Boston SMED, NWU, UNR, and REMS and will be attending REMS in the fall. Message me if you have any questions!

@kybron why rems over all of the others?

@kbyron What is UNR, NWU? Pardon my ignorance please. And does GWU have any regional bias?

@FranceIndia Same question…Does GW have any regional preference for candidates in and around the Washington metro area?