***Official Thread for 2017 BSMD applicants***

Hi, I am in Texas. Does anybody know about A-PRIME program?
http://aprimetime.org/prospective-students/program-stages.html

although above link says - There are 3 stages to this program—it is not a direct admit program. But somebody said - it is now direct med program similar to UPACT/FAME.

Anybody know A-PRIME is direct med program or something they decide in sophomore?

thanks

So to get to what I think you are asking, @4beardolls, you are correct. Tulane does NOT have a program wherein a student in high school is accepted into their med school before they accept attending Tulane as an UG. I would disagree slightly with the wording that for TAP-TP you apply as a high school graduate. Technically you apply as a first semester undergrad at Tulane, since you must accept their offer of undergraduate admission before you can apply to the program. I think that more clearly differentiates it from most other programs where you really do apply as a high school student and decide by May 1 if you are going to accept the offer. With both CMPS and early admission, students are applying in their 2nd semester sophomore year and finding out the result in early summer, I believe.

@fallenchemist, for some reason the prior links people posted regarding the Tulane (TAP-TP) program seem to be down or don’t seem to work for me for some reason, but in the cache: https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:8Kmni8VZwY8J:https://www2.tulane.edu/advising/prehealth/academic/tap-tp.cfm+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us
it says:

Has it changed now to where you apply as a Tulane undergrad, so it’s now more of an Early Assurance Program rather than a Bachelor/MD program?

@Roentgen

I am having no issues with the links. Try again.

For TAP-TP:

https://www2.tulane.edu/advising/prehealth/academic/tap-tp.cfm

FAQs: https://www2.tulane.edu/advising/prehealth/academic/faq-tap.cfm

For the Premedical Creative Scholars Program:

https://www2.tulane.edu/advising/prehealth/academic/creative-premedical-scholars-program.cfm

I suppose you could call TAP-TP an Ultra-Early Assurance program, in that the application deadline is after starting as an undergrad at Tulane, albeit all of one day, and you find out within a couple weeks if you are in the program. So certainly far, far earlier than normal Early Admission programs or their CPMSP. But it has always been that, it hasn’t changed. All the references to high school above just means that it is based largely on your high school track record, plus the interview. You still are not technically applying until you are officially a Tulane undergrad, even if you haven’t stepped foot on campus yet.

Hey guys I was reading the description for Pitt’s GAP Program and there was this statement “applicants must meet the initial eligibility requirements of earning the highest grade point average available in their high school in the context of a curriculum showing the greatest academic rigor possible.” Does this mean you need a perfect GPA with all honors and APs??? Seems a bit harsh…

@chocolatina1001 - PITT appears to value GPA and course rigor more than other schools. I believe the expect all As. I am not sure how they treat A- and A if they have different value.

@srk2017 Wow okay thanks for letting me know.

Also can anyone confirm that I can use hours accumulated from research for healthcare related experience?

@chocolatina1001 @srk2017 I know what exactly goes thru ur mind related to U Pitt. That is the most convoluted way of specifying a requirement, especially for a student/parent trying to decide/balance the number of colleges to apply.

But don’t worry about that, as long as you have a very decent GPA, test scores and all around qualifications for BS/MD program, don’t prematurely eliminate a good school/program. My D had 3.92 (had B’s) but still they sent the invitation to apply for BS/MD.

Except for that ‘Pitt’ fall, the overall admission experience was really good. In fact they are the first one (within 3-4 weeks) sent the UG admission with Full Tuition scholarship in Oct itself.

ALSO GUYS: your essays are super duper important, like more than you’d think. Spend alot of time on them: my essays saved me when it came to getting interviews.

@chocolatina1001, @srk2017

As @GoldenRock mentioned, it’s a very verbose way of saying it, but what they mean is they want really great overall academic performance in a very rigorous, demanding high school curriculum that is available at your school. This all isn’t surprising consider Pitt is a Top 20 medical school. That often means those courses that are Pre-AP/Pre-IB/Accelerated/Honors/AP/IB courses on a high school transcript. It means if you’re taking all regular level classes, and getting a 4.0, you’re not achieving the highest GPA available at your school. It doesn’t mean at all that you have to have a 4.0 unweighted with those rigorous courses. They don’t want to put a hard cap in terms of GPA/rank because there may be something else on your application that really jumps out at them, and say “I want to interview this person!” that a filter would not allow them to take into consideration.

@Roentgen So “applicants must meet the initial eligibility requirements of earning the highest grade point average available in their high school in the context of a curriculum showing the greatest academic rigor possible” shouldn’t be taken completely literally?

Hey guys quick question about Common App activities. If I intend to continue clubs/sports in 12th grade, can I check 12 in the grades participated box? I am asking this because I play badminton which is a spring sport so I would have already submitted Common App by then. Thanks!

@ccuser00, no, it shouldn’t be taken literally, as it would be equivalent to saying to be considered everyone should be ranked #1 in their high school class. What they’re gettng at is superior academic performance in the most rigorous and demanding high school curriculum available.

@GoldenRock,@Roentgen,@sonpat,

1)Villanova BSMD program with Drexel does not exist anymore.I called and confirmed.
2)Do you recommend any good source to proof read the essays.Parents proof reading the essays are not working out with our son’s case.
3)@sonpat, if you don’t mind can you please share your list of programms where you have applied.
Thanks

If a program requires a certain class rank and my school does not rank will I not be considered or will I be considered less favorably?

@chesscrazy, you could have previous English teachers proofread and edit essays.

@chocolatina1001, is there absolutely nothing on the transcript that gives an indication where you fall in the class?

@Roentgen As far as I know, our transcript only provides GPA. There are no published ranks. Besides ranks, what else could give an indication to where a student falls in the class?

Many schools provide distributions, such as 2% are 4.5+, 10% are between 4.0 and 4.5, etc.

@chocolatina1001, so often if an official (mailed by the school, never touches your hands, often has a seal pressed into the original) high school transcript doesn’t give an exact rank, i.e. “Rank: #x out of 1000 students”, it might say, alternatively, that you’re in the Top 5%, Top 10%, Top 15%, etc. in the class, without giving an exact ordinal rank, and more telling which segment of the class you fall in (same with saying which quartile, quintile, or decile, etc. you fall in). Another way, they might give a grade distribution of the class including the range and median grade point average as part of a high school profile and supplement that can be sent along with your transcript: http://www.pennsbury.k12.pa.us/pennsbury/About%20Pennsbury/PHS%20Profile%20and%20Transcript%20Supplement%20-%202015-2016.pdf, so then I can look at your GPA and see in which percentile you fall in.

But there usually is something on the trancript that tells where you fall, although not necessarily directly. Have you looked at a copy of the exact transcript that would be sent (it would be unofficial, obviously)?

Here is an actual example of how the information is shared. It is my D school in N California. The actual transcript will NOT have any details except the grade and Total GPA like 3.92. But school normally sends not just the transcript but also a school profile report (when student requests unofficial transcript, they do not get the school profile report - which is available in the school web site). So the school profile report will have enough details to get an idea by the reeving college/program to know the strength of both student and the school (though it may not give a precise rank per se but will give a reasonable range).
School profile will state explicitly school does not rank and score is un-weighted. Will give GPA distribution of the 530 students as follows
4.0 - 15
3.80 - 3.99 - 100
3.50 to 3.80 - 190
3.00 to 3.49 - 130

also it will brag this school had 120 students as merit finalist, test scores average (for ex sat math 700, when national and state average is 511 & 506.

So it gives a pretty clear picture school is highly competitive. Now if the student is sat math 780 or gpa 3.92, it is very strong among the group etc.,