***Official Thread for 2017 BSMD applicants***

@Roentgen @hebegebe @GoldenRock Thanks so much for the feedback guys! I will check with my counselor once school starts to see if any information pertaining to rank/percentile is provided on the transcript.

In your guys’ opinion, would it look unfavorable to admissions officers apply to multiple Drexel or multiple Rutgers programs? Is there any way for the college of medicine to know you applied to multiple?

My understanding, @fhgeogng, is that in the combined programs for Drexel, it’s ok to apply to as many as you want since it’s only the undergrad that changes, and the medical school is the same. It would NOT be looked on unfavorably by a medical admissions staff person. I would check the websites just to make sure as there may be med schools with several Bachelor/MD tracks who may have that stipulation for you to choose one track to apply under. If that’s the case, then follow their directions and only choose one track.

Thank you! My only concern is that officers may question how you’re the perfect fit for so many programs. But I will look into it!

The med school wont care. It is the undergrad school that you have to worry about because they will rank you based on whether they think you will attend there or not.

But there isn’t way for them to know what other programs leading to the same med school you’ve applied to yes? (Besides Drexel where you have to check the boxes next to the programs). I’m mainly worried about the Rutgers programs.

Anyone have any information about the CNSU bs md program? Like is it worth it, are there dorms, is it viable to get into competitive residency?

It’s been hard for me to find information on this, but would applying for HPME hurt my chances of getting into Northwestern? Also does the answer depend on the program?

@fhgeong - what does Rutgers have to do with Drexel programs?

@baekyeotic - It can if you do have very high stats and if NW believes you will likely go elsewhere if not admitted to HPME if you either make or don’t make the interview cut.

@Roentgen ,@GoldenRock,@texaspg,
Your feedback has always helping so many parents following CC. We are grateful for all your insights.

1. Please let us know while applying through common app whether the colleges can see the list of other colleges that I have applied for. If yes, will this affect my selection to a particular college based on my list of application.
  2. My son is planning to apply to Albany Medical College individually through RPI, Union and Siena. Will this affect the admission decision by AMC/ or UG schools.

@chesscrazy - As far as I know, the only way colleges can find out used to be because of the way FAFSA receipts were sent to college (it was believed at one time that the colleges could see who else you sent it to). I don’t know if it is still true.

Here is what I think happens with AMC and Drexel. The schools will not care while deciding whether to submit your name to the med school for an interview. I think the med schools return a list back to them stating where they rank among those whose names were submitted by that school. At that point, the schools make their own decision as to whether they want to give you their medical seat or not. My guess is the med school is clearly stating whether the kid is acceptable or not but the colleges then turn around and decide whether they want certain names they prefer ahead of those also acceptable.

My guess is that the schools will know who else has you on their list and med schools wont keep that information as a big secret that parents expect it to be after they have interviewed the kid. AMC is collecting separate fees for each one (have they stopped doing that?) and Drexel is collecting a single fee for all schools but both have one interview. So what does AMC do when one school gives them the name for an interview in November or December and another gives it to them in February? They have to tell them the interview is complete.

@butterfli123 You do realize that you got accepted to U Pittsburg’s bs/md that does NOT require MCATS?

@chesscrazy, schools do not have time to filter thru each student not only their applications but where else they are applying. Schools realize people will be applying to many Bachelor/MD programs.

Thanks @texaspg ,@Roentgen,
Thanks for your inputs.

@chocolatina1001 My school did not rank either ( I went to small school w/ 42 kids per grade lol) and I was fine! Don’t worry!

@chesscrazy I applied for VCU, Northwestern, Boston, NJMS, Drexel, Jefferson, Rochester, Albany and Wash St. Louis

@sonpat Thanks so much!

@chesscrazy

1. Just because you applied thru commonapp, colleges will NOT get to know to which colleges you have applied. So it is not a concern.
  1. It appeared it does not really matter how many feeder colleges you have applied matters either to the UG or MD schools. As you all know for Drexel MD program, there is only 1 time fee $150 and in that form you need to list the colleges applied for UG related to Drexel MD. But it has no bearing if you apply just 1 or 7.
  2. For AMC, you need to pay for each time, you get invitation to apply the supplemental from AMC ($115). Also note, there are some co-ordination / dependency happens in AMC for RPI and Union. AMC goes thru a long interview window (2 to 3 months). Also the final results will come 2 phases. For Sienna, if you get selected you will get interview right away. But if you get invited to apply for RPI and Union, until both colleges communicate the results 1 way or other, there will be a delay (but don't get panic). For example, if some one applied only to Union and you applied to both Union and RPI, and let us say both of you got invited to apply. With in few weeks, right away the Union alone person may get interview. The Union / RPI person may not get interview for 5-6 weeks, since RPI decision takes much longer. But interestingly AMC, may get some hint that RPI is planning to forward your resume to AMC or not (though they will not tell it officially).

Hey Guys. I was reading about Drexel’s direct medical program and under Undergraduate Program Requirements it says “Please note that due to the new version of the MCAT introduced in 2015, the College of Medicine reserves the right to revise the above requirements. Acceptance into the College of Medicine is not guaranteed.” When it says acceptance into the College of Medicine is not guaranteed does this refer to even after achieving the minimum GPA and MCAT requirements? Or does it simply mean that due to the GPA and MCAT requirements acceptance into the College of Medicine is not guaranteed?

@GoldenRock ,@Roentgen,@texaspg,@sonpat.Thanks a lot for all of you guys. No one could be better than all of you in clearing the doubts, which constantly arise.

@chocolatina1001, I see this, http://drexel.edu/undergrad/apply/freshmen-instructions/accelerated/,

This is what it was before on the old MCAT, when it was on a 45 scale that had been the case for decades:

So that one line of “not guaranteed” is not a new stipulation. I take it as meaning that you don’t get into Drexel Med automatically regardless of your performance in undergrad. You have to meet the GPA and MCAT requirements (and probably with no professionalism or bad character issues). Most Bachelor/MDs have this in place in terms of GPA, MCAT, or both, as well no egregious character issues.