***Official Thread for 2017 BSMD applicants***

Hello,
I am a rising senior who lives in Texas. I am applying to multiple BS/MD programs. In Texas, there are a few programs where you must have acceptance into the university before you can apply to the bs/md program. For example, the deadline for UT PACT is December 1st, meaning I must be already accepted into UT Dallas. I was wondering how much time does it take for UT Dallas to accept me? I meet their automatic acceptance requirements. I am wondering how long does it take to get acceptance because of my standardized tests. I am planning on taking the SAT in October and SAT subject tests in November. However, I donā€™t know if I would have time to take the subject tests before I submit my application to UT Dallas.

@Roentgen Thank you!

@Fluteplayer17 Iā€™m not sure if this helps but for your first question if you look under UT-PACT FAQs, there is a question that asks ā€œDo I need to receive acceptance to UT Dallas or ā€œaccept my acceptanceā€ to UTD before applying to UT-PACT?ā€ They reply ā€œNo, UT-PACT applicants need to complete the online Apply Texas application first. Then, after receiving a UTD ID number via email and activating your NET ID, you may initiate a UT-PACT application. Please note: APPLY EARLY ā€“ receiving and activating these numbers can take up to ten working days. Both numbers are required to initiate a UT-PACT application.ā€ Hope this helps a little!

@fluteplayer17 In general schools do not need SAT subject tests to make UG admission decision. You complete and apply the Texas common app for UT schools. When you get your SAT score, submit it. Few schools have that requirement that you should have been admitted to apply for BS/MD (UAB, OU, Uof Houston etc). Most of these schools, give admission with in 4-6 weeks after you apply. Got admission in Pitt, UAB, OU, Uof Houston way in Oct / Nov itself. So donā€™t anticipate any issues with UT system and applying for BS/MD (of course except of U of Houston, in general UT BS/MD programs are only for Texas residents). GL.

@Fluteplayer17, the UT-PACT program at UT-Dallas does not require SAT subject exams, they only ask for the SAT or ACT: http://www.utdallas.edu/pre-health/ut-pact

When you apply to bs/md programs, how do you submit your SAT score? Do you only submit it for the undergrad application or do you submit it again for the bs/md application?

Hey guys,

So I am extremely excited about the ongoing/upcoming application process and I am 100% set about my decision to go this route into a career in medicine. Iā€™ve had so many conversations with the right people, and I know I can make such a big impact wherever I go. I was just wondering if you could tell me my chances of getting into REMS (Rochester Early Medical Scholars), Case Western, U Miami, and other BS/MD Programs, and what else I need to do before that December 1st deadline.

SAT: 800 M, 800 W, 760 CR (2360)
PSAT: 1460/1520
ACT: 34
SAT Biology: 780
SAT Math: 800
SAT Spanish: 780
SAT Chemistry: Taking in October, but will be 770 or higher

By end of first semester Senior year, 5.02 Weighted GPA, 3.998 Unweighted GPA

APs: AP Spanish Language (5), AP US History (5), AP English Literature (5), AP Spanish Literature (4), AP Biology (5), AP Physics I (5), AP Physics II, AP Chemistry II, AP Psychology, AP Government, AP Statistics, AP Calculus BC
Other notable Courses: Honors Organic Chemistry, Honors Anatomy/Physiology, Honors Genetics, Honors Biodiversity, Honors Medical Problem Solving, Honors Spanish 6 (school had to make a new class for me AND Iā€™m not a native speaker)
Brown University Pre-Med Summer Program (3 weeks summer 2014)
Johns Hopkins CTY Advanced Spanish Online Course (8 weeks summer 2014)

2 years Junior Varsity Basketball, Captain Sophomore Year
1 year Varsity Basketball
1 year Varsity Track/Field. Varsity Cross Country

4 years of Symphonic, Concert, and Pep Band (the only person who plays the Euphonium)
1 year of debate (2014): Novice Policy Semifinalist at Notre Dame Tournament, Novice Policy Semifinalist at 2014 USC Tournament, 1st place in 2 local high school tournaments in Novice Policy Debate

National Honor Society President-Elect (2015-2016), President (2016-2017) - organize around 12 service opportunities per year for the entire group
Health Occupations Students of America Chapter President and Founder (2014-15), HOSA Bowl State Semi-finalist out of 18 teams (2015)
Schoolā€™s STEM Program Co-Founder, VP in 2014-15, and President (2016, 2017) (consists of 5 science clubs- Engineering, Medical, Ecology, Astronomy, Competitive Events), nearly half of student body, does more activities than the next 3 most active clubs combined, as it is an extension of the schoolā€™s education is heavily backed and funded by the school administration)
Student Congress Member- distributes school funds to clubs

Science Bowl Regional 3rd Place out of 32 teams (2015)/Captain (2 years)

Hospital Volunteering: Promoted to Designated Team Lead (actually train other volunteers), since 2013, 750 hours
Cleveland Clinic Center for Brain Health: 100 Hours
Autism Clinic: 75 Hours
Recycling Club Member: 20 hrs/yr for 3 years

Significant Shadowing Experience: 8-10 doctors, 3 days minimum each
University Research Intern, 10 weeks in Biochemistry Lab with 3 undergraduate students (2016), using Platinum compounds to induce cell apoptosis (programmed cell death) in breast cancer and prostate cancer cell lines. NIH/INBRE funded and will be working in the lab with the professor for next 12 months as well.

Bausch and Lomb Outstanding Junior in Science- $40,000 scholarship to the University of Rochester upon acceptance; given to the top science student in the junior class, as selected by faculty
Sophomore Class Student of the Year (2015)
National Spanish Exam: Gold in Levels 3, 4, and 5 and First place in the State all 3 years, First student in state to take level 6 next year

National Spanish Honor Society (2 years)
Cum Laude Society (Top 6 students in the grade) (2 years)
Likely Valedictorian (only 1 student)

@Fluteplayer17 You submit it once by sending a score report sent to the main university, usually the undergrad.

Hi guys! I canā€™t believe that senior year is already here! Iā€™m excited to apply to BSMD programs, and to meet other applicants like you guys :slight_smile: So, basically, hi!

@kybron

You are very well qualified for all three programs listed plus other ā€œGroup Aā€ BS/MD programs including Northwestern HPME.

Stay focused, get 750+ in AP Chem, write excellent essays, specifically why Doctor, demonstrate your passion and confidence during interview. You will land multiple interviews.

Good Luck.

@pokemon1

There are not enough data points to get a good stats on their performance.

Hey everyone,

I will be applying to bsmdā€™s in the fall. Iā€™m just wondering what your opinions are about which med programs I am qualified enough for. Here is some info.

GPA:3.93 (UW)
SAT: 2230 (CR: 690 M:800 W:740)
ACT: 35

SATII:
Math Level 2: 800
Chemistry: 800
Biology (M): 750

AP Classes:
AP Calculus BC
AP Chemistry
AP English Language and Composition
AP Physics 1
AP Psychology
AP Biology
AP Stats
AP Macroeconomics
AP Lit
AP Spanish

Extracurriculars
-Varsity Girls Golf (4 years, team captain this year)

• Lincoln Douglas Debate (5 years, captain for 3 years)
  • Future Practicing Physicians Network (4 years as member and officer, President this year)
  • Ambassador Girl Scout (13 years)
  • Competitive Dance (dancing for 15 years, (jazz, ballet, lyrical, contemporary, modern), competing for 4 years
  • Biomedical Research (4 years)
    • Research intern at Stanford University for 1 year (Stem Cell Research)
    • Clinical Anatomy Internship at Stanford
    • Research intern at UCSF 2 years (Autism Genetics Research)
  • Shadowing: Oncology, Pediatrics, Orthopedics (UCSF, Lucille Packard, Kaiser)
  • Volunteering with Autistic Children (over 200 hours)
  • Indian Classical Dance and Music (10 years)

Awards:
-Girl Scouts: Bronze, Silver, and Gold Awards
-Gold Award: Set up a Music Therapy Program for ASD Children

-Debate: Finalist at Voices National Circuit Tournament

-Science Fairs
-Honorable Mention for 2 years at Synopsys Science Fair

• BioGENEius Regional Finalist

-Competitive Dance
-NYCDA: Gold in Jazz, High Silver in Contemporary
-Dance Masters: Gold in Jazz (4th Overall), High Silver in Contemporary
-Performed an opening number for the Rockettes

-Rensselaer Medal: (100,000 scholarship total, if admitted)

Would really appreciate everyoneā€™s input. Thanks!

@texaspg Thank you for the reply but Iā€™m still a bit unclear. Is applying to a BS/MD program mean youā€™re automatically applying to the school as well?

If you are applying to BS/MD at Northwestern, you are applying to undergrad.

Let us say you have 2400, couple of 800s, 4.0 GPA, 2 years of research and HPME does not invite you for an interview.

Most here will tell you that NW will not admit you if HPME has turned you down for an interview or turned you down after an interview.

@texaspg, I wonder why that is?

I can see that. While Northwestern is clearly a very good university, to my D it did not have either a uniquely defining personality, or any area where it outshines its peers except perhaps theater. If we define its BS/MD peers as being Brown, Rice, and WashU, each of those has a distinct personality that will attract students even without admission to BS/MD programs.

@hebegebe Northwestern has just as much uniqueness as those you mentioned; While you canā€™t name any ā€œexcept perhaps theaterā€, I can easily identify MANY areas where NU probably outshines others.

Does anybody know how important SAT subject tests are when applying to BS/MD programs? While I know programs such as HPME require the subject tests, other competitive programs that are less prestigious donā€™t require them. I am taking the regular SAT October and want to take a math and science subject test in November. I donā€™t know if this is a good idea considering that many program deadlines are November/December and my lack of time to study for these exams. Would not taking the SAT subject test or getting bad scores be detrimental to my application?

@IWannaHelp,

I am glad to hear that, but in that case someone should tell the admissions department that they are doing a poor job in extolling Northwesternā€™s strengths during the information session. They were too busy name droppingā€“I am glad that Julia Louis-Dreyfus attended there, but that really didnā€™t matter to us.

@hebegebe - Iā€™m sorry you had a poor info session, below are some additional strengths that NU have (i.e., hard sciences, medicine and chemistry). NU is pushing hard in medicine; its affiliate hospital recently came out ranked as 8th best in the country.

http://www.natureindex.com/annual-tables/2016/institution/academic/all/countries-United%20States%20of%20America%20(USA)

http://www.usnews.com/info/blogs/press-room/articles/2016-08-02/us-news-announces-the-201617-best-hospitals

http://www.thebestschools.org/features/best-chemistry-programs-in-world-today/