***Official Thread for 2017 BSMD applicants***

@notcameron When did you submit your Sophie Davis Application? Also, is your CUNY Undergraduate application complete bc it’s been over a month since I’ve sent my materials but they have not received them?

Thank you very much @GoldenRock

Did anyone attend the St. Bonaventure -GW interview? I thought it was a well-organized one. Didn’t know that the number of students to GW from this program reduced last year to only around 5.

Any reasons on PPSP high rejections ? what did they look into ?

@micmic17 - I guess it comes downs to essays and ECs. Also, they want to have diverse pool (which includes ethnicity, gender, geographical). So there is no easy way to identify why one got rejected. My DS is high stats (like most applied) with national and state level achievements in science ECs besides the required medical related ECs and didn’t get PPSP interview . They got 2200 applications this year vs 1700 last year. These programs are worse than Ivies when comes to acceptance rates.

@srk2017 How do you know how many students applied?

@DreamforIvy the letter stated how many were chosen and how many applied. Also @ Mimic17 did you get the Drexel /Drexel interview or any of the feeder program interview with Drexel? Good luck…

From the beginning I have counseled my son to view these programs as a gamble… As @srk2017 mentioned there are many factors that influence the results. My ds was invited to the PPSP interview but it is still a crapshoot whether he gets in… Also, he did not get an invite from BU or REMS so who knows why. All Of you on this thread have worked hard with tremendous results which will carry you all to interesting places… Don’t stop believing

you all are high achiever…most will get into great undergrad and end up in one of the better med school…

does anyone know when stonybrook releases interview notifications?

@Salvadortrail How many were chosen? I got an interview, but nothing was stated in the email:/

@dualmd2017 Sadly BSMD is such a crapshoot and since only 1-3% of all applicants get accepted, it leaves MANY highly qualified candidates having to go the traditional route. It’s best to go into it eyes wide open. From many people that we know getting into a US med school after undergrad is even more challenging than getting into BSMD. As an example in 2016 AMC had 143 students start med school as first year students, of the 143, 37 were from the 3 feeder schools of RPI, Union and Sienna, so that means of the 9000 applicants only 106 were actually selected after undergrad. Thats 1.2%. For those of you who are blessed enough to be accepted to BSMD treat it as a golden ticket because you just saved yourself having to compete with 10x as many candidates 4 years from now.

@asmed7 Last cycle Stony Brook released interview notifications after the scholarship notifications came out which if I remember correctly was in Late Feb or early March. They do not release their decision on the 5 they will accept till mid-late April.

@asmed7 My notes have no dates for Stonybrook. But based on my memory, this school is very late in the game. Because they accept apps till Mid Jan and interview came late in Feb and results came end of March. If you search last year thread, there was a student who got OU and also got Stonybrook and he went to Stonybrook. If you locate his id, you can PM him for specific details on Stonybrook. In general NY residents get highest priority and may be 1 or 2 OOS. Overall also very few seats for BS/MD. GL

@asmed7 I was wrong. The person I referred in the above post got OU and CUNY/Downstate medical (and not Stonybrook). Could not locate a post related to Stonybrook much.

@DreamforIvy the stats went in the reject emails not in the accepted emails

@GoldenRock, How many bs/md student accepted into Stonybrook each years?

@asmed7 Actually I was right. @bamdapplicant got all 3 OU, Stonrybrook and Brooklyn. So you can PM him to get more details on Stonybrook.

@dualmd2017 Old MSAR info had 4. But my notes says around 10. Mostly in state and may be 2-3 only for OOS for stonybrook.

Thanks @GoldenRock

Can some one please PM me a mentor or counselor for combined medical programs. Few parents were discussing about a mentor who helped the students. I really appreciate the help.

REMS rejection for DS. 2 interviews and 2 rejections so far and 2 left.