***Official Thread for 2017 BSMD applicants***

My CWRU portal has recieved an update. There is a form where I can opt in for being considered in regular decision round.

What CWRU deadline to opt-in?

@Mom22DDs You touched upon multiple topics.

1. UG GPA and MCAT: Keep hearing, but it depends more on individual school and there is no general rule/pattern that there is weeding for pre-med students per se in every school. (Only 1 semester has gone for my D, though she felt hard (especially OChem), she managed to get good scores). But key thing is are they still going to stick with MD plan after 3-4 years or not. That may change and if so, it makes sense to go for a strong UG college. At the same time, if they believe they are so clear that they will pursue medicine, then even any college may make a sense depending on other factors like cost, how hard to get GPA and the opportunities related to medicine activities etc., It is going to differ with individual situation. For example, there is a Dad and his D made a conscious decision to go to CWRU for pre-med than taking any UC and did not want to apply for BS/MD.
  2. Said that, it is known fact, getting MD admission is getting harder every year. High GPA and MCAT is given, but still the key thing is what students have done related to EC, Clinical/Patient activities etc to get invited for interview. Since they have gone thru now BS/MD process, it may help, but still they need to maintain the momentum and patience for another 3-5 years. Since you are in CA, it is another notch harder with so much competition.
  3. We are also on the same boat. Both me and DW are in IT and my D did not show any interest in IT/SW or Engg. Like a Budda one day in junior year she told, she wants to do medicine and that is her calling. Though I feel medicine is a long and hard path and it is better to have a balanced enjoyable life, did not want to influence her and left to her choice and decisions. Hope she does the right things in her life and utilize all the opportunities she has and be happy and successful and we are ready to support that. GL to your 2 Ds.

did anyone have their siena/amc interview today?

@grtd2010 - We got email rejection from Penn State for BSMD, and online portal changed to accepted for UG.

Thank you @GoldenRock . I woke up to BSMD goal very late, October senior year when apps started, so itā€™s been a wild ride for me so far. Iā€™m finally getting the hang of it, and am looking forward to the choices DD will make. I agree with you that the decision is hers, and weā€™re here to support in any way we can, regardless of our opinions on the decisions. Hoping for the best :slight_smile:

Just called Pen State. They said, they are still reviewing few applications.

@pleasanton - Iā€™d guess that your DC is still being considered for BSMD interview, thatā€™s good news :slight_smile:

@Mon22DDS: I hope so. I am my fingeres crossed.

sorry, I am keeping my fingers crossed.

What are the chances if somebody get called for BU- BS/MD interview? How long I should wait? Is anybody received call in last few days?

@amar12 The last interview day is February 3rd so I donā€™t think anymore calls are coming out.

@amar12 - I had called BU last week and they said interview calls will go out till early this week, maybe longer. They also indicated there will be interview dates beyond Feb. 3rd.

Anybody heard anything (positive or negative) from NW HPME? I canā€™t believe with so many of us on this thread, nobody heard anything.

Hi all, I have been actively watching all the conversations in this forum which is really helpful. My son is interested in BS MD as well, with fairly high stats. But did not receive any interview so far. It will really help if someone can point to us about the mentors who can help assist in future after joining undergraduate to proceed in the traditional route. Whoever has some information, can you share with us?

I had an interview for undergrad admission with NW alumniā€¦HPME is coming out in Febā€¦2-3rd week. GL everyone.

@dualmd2017 Thanks. I suppose you mean invites/no invites notices will come in a week or two. Thatā€™s a lot later than last year.

I guess this is due to increasing number of qualified applicant poolā€¦@NathanBN.

Did anyone check last yearā€™s thread to see if BU send invitations later?

I donā€™t think if BU is sending letter for interview.

@every1win You are asking the right information. The best way to get going is, as and when time permits, start following the threads http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/pre-med-topics/
It will consume time. So either parent can follow and give the gist to child (if they are willing to discuss and have conversation with parents on academics during college) or ask your child to follow & learn. Also every college has pre-med office and student should reach out to them and understand the expectations and realities. There is so much info available and if students are open and willing, they need to take the initiative and get it done. Not only ā€˜plan for workā€™ but ā€˜work the planā€™ also need to happen.