***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@rara-avis Not familiar with NY UGs or Medical colleges.
But NJMS is better choice than SUNY upstate BS/MD program. Don’t see much difference between Update or Downstate. Stonybrook is different and much better.
Review each program details carefully and decide.

@Spectral
Guaranteed BS/MD Program: It means conditional, and it varies. Either need to maintain some GPA, may need to take MCAT and score some minimum etc. Some don’t need MCAT. But the key point is all these programs, completes the Interview for the MD and the interview is done by a committee which includes a member from Medical college. Some programs you don’t have to apply AMCAS app and some need to apply. Some doing AMCAS, if you explore other school, may loose your guaranteed seat and in few schools it is not.

Hybrid: It is also similar to BS/MD Guaranteed but the interview is not done upfront before you enter the UG. Rather it guarantees that you will be given an opportunity for an interview during/end of 3rd year as long as you maintain certain GPA during UG. Example: Temple, Toledo, St.Louis

EAP: Early Assurance Program. It means you simply apply and get admission to UG only. During/end of first year, if you meed certain criteria, apply and you will be admitted to EAP. Once you are in EAP, each program may have some variation of when the interview is done and other criteria to get admitted to their medical college. FOr example UMiami. It is good program and if you selected, and get MCAT of 513 at the end of 3rd year, you get admission for MD. Miami UG is also very decent and it may suit some students. Another example is Tulane. There are many EAPs.

@Spectral Have no problem with Florida programs or St.Bonaventure.
Since you indicated to limit only 15 programs, there are better options for those 15.

@GoldenRock Thank you!

Hey! I’m taking AP chemistry Senior year and the subject test senior year as well (before I apply). Is this fine for Northwestern HPME?

I’m asking because it mentions that AP chemistry is strongly preferred. Thanks!

@rara-avis
Upstate is a decent medical school. It’s discussion came up in 2019 main thread and people had nice things to say. I would have recommended to search that thread but with the new upgrade of CC they made it so complicated.

One of the metrics you can use is to look for the NIH annual funding for a given institution. I think Upstate had upwards of 15 million in the recent year, which was higher than some of the older, established and better known schools like AMC and NY Medical College.

Among the undergrad institutions mentioned, Albany College of Pharmacy and Roch Inst Tech are the better knowns.

@GoldenRock Ah, that makes a lot of sense.

For EAPs I’m assuming (for most of those programs) it means you have to apply to their UG in order to get consideration for application into the EAP. Does this mean that if I get into their UG with the intent of getting accepted by that EAP, and potentially I get rejected from that program, I just wasted like 2 years UG at an OOS school, am stuck out there doing the 4 year traditional path, and spent tons of money when I could have just started my 4 year traditional path at my in-state (pretty good school) anyways?

@rk2017 Thank you! We are NY state residents and my DD is a junior. She did not take any SAT or ACT yet but working on research, shadowing and volunteering; we are trying to build up a list of colleges with the program that would be affordable if she gets in. I read the 2017 and 2018 threads and followed the 2019. This forum is a wealth of information and I am thankful you for it!

@Spectral summarized EAP well, that is a risk with EAP or any other program that dictates some GPA/MCAT score to maintain seat. SLU is another EAP program to consider. Most EAPs are mid-tier or low-ties med schools. So theory is
if I good enough to maintain that required GPA, why should stuck with mid-tier/low-tier med school
else not good enough to maintain that required GPA, is MD a good path?

@Spectral
Clarification on EAP. It is a 2 step. 1st you apply and get admission to UG only (it has nothing to do with EAP). Step 2, later if a school has then you apply and may get selected.
No show fits all. In your case, you may prefer in state than going elsewhere. For some, if the OOS offers merit aid and also has EAP, why not?
For example, when my D year, the first college gave admission was UPitts with free tuition. So the only R&B expense is higher than any UC in state fees. In that situation, some students may prefer to go that OOS school. If that school also has EAP, it is icing on the cake. UMiami offers aid but that much, may be for few handful students. I am referring UMiami to explain the concept and not endorsing anything.

@GoldenRock
Is Tulane is an EAP? From the website, Tulane has two programs for high school students, the TAP-TP, which is an EAP, and the TPM, which you are invited to after applying for undergraduate admission. So for the TPM, I think you know if you are in the program and have guaranteed acceptance to medical school before you decide where to go for undergrad.

Correct me if I am wrong, though. The link is: https://advising.tulane.edu/pre-health/path/special-programs/TPM

Yes, I believe this TPM is a new program and is guaranteed as long as one maintains the requirements. The other program they used to have (and only that) was/still is 7 year, acceptance to which was only after the student enrolls in Tulane and will be selected during their freshman year. So that was/is EAP and not guaranteed up front.

Also regarding Miami, after they discontinued the earlier guaranteed program replaced it with something similar to EAP, which they claim provides enriched pathway and provides better chances when they apply to med schools at Miami or elsewhere. But remember reading that only 4 students from that program will be guaranteed admission to their own med school. It raises a number of questions such as is it a fixed number or can be flexible? What about the other students in the program who also do well gpa and MCAT wise? What is the enrollment into the program, which determines the acceptance percentage into their med school etc. So some due diligence is required before deciding if it is the right choice. If planning college visit there, or if they have local admissions events in your area, can get such questions clarified by talking to the admissions folks in person. If one gets decent merit or need based awards it may be an attractive proposition but may not be otherwise (unless you love the school and go there no matter what).

1 Like

Also couple of things to consider, may be a little too early for now but when you get there in a few months.

• Be cautious about “pretty good” in state schools. Some in state schools are pretty intense in competition and rigor. What boils down to is how well you do during undergrad, whether in state or elsewhere
  • If you really love a school that offers EAP (I e. Only after you enroll there and so a big uncertainty), but you think you have a fair shot based on your credentials so far and confidence, you can go there but be prepared to transfer out after freshman year if things don’t turn out as expected with the EAP.
  • As a general advice, if you are a student, especially rising senior, once school starts, you shouldn’t be spending time here. Focus on school (no seniorities), writing essays and application process. Have your parents or friends follow CC and update you with a summary and do any leg work as needed.

This cycle was rather busy one for our pre-med patients.
7 patients got into various medical schools in this cycle:

1. Comp. suburban h.s. with excellent grade/SAT…Top 30 U… 2 yrs. Gap… NYU med !!!
  2. Comp. Catholic h.s. with excellent gpa/SAT… Top 25 U…post Bacc Top 75… U of V med
  3. Comp. suburban h.s. with excellent grade/SAT…Top 20 (3.9 GPA/ ?? MCAT)…4 yrs. Gap…U of Buffalo med
  4. Most comp. magnet h.s. with good grade/excell SAT… Top 15 (3.75 GPA/ 514 MCAT) … 2 yrs. Gap… NYCOM
  5. Most. comp. magnet h.s. with ok grade/ good SAT… Top 50… 4 yrs. Gap…NYCOM
  6. Regular high school with excellent grade/good SAT… top Liberal Arts (3.2 GPA/ ?? MCAT)… 2 yrs. Gap… Cyprus
  7. Regular high school with good grade/SAT…BS/DO NYCOM

Unfortunately, one student threw in a towel… graduated from top 80 University with 3.4 average and MCAT of 517. Student was wait-listed at NYCOM.
Out of eight students who are mentioned above, six were Asians with two being Whites. Cyprus program is with St. George’s University Medical School of London ( not the one in Caribbean). Ironically, the student who got into NYU medical school went to his/her college with despondency, thinking that he/she was top 10 material. I wonder if his/her medical school outcome would have as successful if he/she was competing with students from top 10 schools.
I think along with maturation and motivation, careful planning and luck play a significant role in this journey of getting into a medical school.
Therefore, good luck everyone!

@upstream
For Student 7 with BS/DO, did you mean NYIT?

@rk2017 …yes NYIT is for the undergraduate portion, and NYCOM is for DO portion.

They are both located in the same campus in Old Westbury NY.

@upstream - Thanks for keep updating every year. I am surprised so many of them have gap years. You don’t have anyone who got into medical school without gap years? In my sample size, good number of them from our competitive IB school got into good medical schools without gap years. some had to take gap years.

@srk2017
You’re welcome.
You have to remember that my list is just on our patients. If I add more students, who are not our patients, from competitive magnet high schools, we will see more successful outcomes. One student from the most competitive high school got into Cornell medical school after attending a “low” ivy. From same high school, a student is in Harvard medical school after attending MIT and a year of doing research in Germany as a Fulbright recipient. This student turned down a BS MD program to attend MIT.
Therefore, they are many paths to become a doc in US.
Good luck everyone!

@bearfsfan21 Unless you have top SAT/ACT/SAT II scores and excellent GPA, NU HPME is a reach for everyone.