***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

yup case has been set for a few weeks now

@amenmom It’s a group interview. It’s going to sound cliche, but be yourself and stay calm. Relax, don’t let nerves get the best of you, and your big brain will do the rest!

Congrats to everyone who got a SPiM interview! Be yourselves and you’ll shine!

Hi! Has everyone who applied to UCONN SPiM received a rejection/interview email? Or have they only sent out interview invites?

@skatergirl2001 i think only interview invites have been sent out. from the experiences of previous years, i believe that they don’t send out formal rejections, and basically the lack of an invitation to interview is equivalent to a rejection

@boriskab
This is totally unprofessional.
UMKC specifically mentions during interview process to not post MMI questions on college confidential or discuss with anyone.

Can some moderator please clean up the post above with interview questions? Agree it will be totally unfair for the candidates not reading this forum.

@bsmdalien Posting questions like that after interview cycle is over, as per @boriskab it is for 2018, doesn’t harm any applicants nor provides any advantage to any applicants. It may harm the consultants who you may pay to receive same services. Also these are nothing new/proprietary/patent pending questions, anyone can google and find out various MMI format questions. Who knows even those are true for 2018 other than UMKC and applicants for 2018 cycle? Is it going to repeat for 2020? If it does, I suspect quality of college that can’t even come up with new questions. Disclosure, my son was part of 2018 cycle and had gone through UMKC interview, but never shared questions with me so I can’t confirm/deny its truthfulness.

@rk2017 , @NoviceDad and @GoldenRock, and @PPofEngrDr, My daughter is planning the schedule for her Senior year courses and bit worried to take AP Physics C- Mechanics as few of friends who have never seen a B grade got B in AP Physics C for the first time. Is it ok to take AP Physics 1 instead of C? Does it look like less challenging? She is planning to take AP Macro/Micro, AP Psych, AP Computer Science Prin, regular Eng 4 at a local college, Introduction to global health (Summer - at a local college) and some other elective.

Is Accounting course any way useful for BS/Md students? She would like to take forensics or sociology as she has some space just out of interest but someone advised her to take Accounting.

Any suggestions?

It is as unfair as to someone who didn’t search online, hence didn’t read any published information, therefore search engines should stopped publishing them. :wink:

Looks like no more moderators active here any longer!

Anyone is free to write expected questions
 totally fine, but if you have visited any institution and they have asked you to not do something, I think that is the point. As you said even your son did not share questions with you, I think that is the right approach and that what is expected out of a good doctor.

@mygrad2021 very simple, by the time AP whatever results are out in senior year, usually early July, college decisions are already in place. based on AP B/C grade, don’t believe college decision will alter.
As far as accounting goes, no one is going to count it against you. If I were you, I would advice my Cn to go with their interest, something they going to enjoy while getting educated.

@mygrad2021

Interesting Deja Vu! Same thing happened with C. Some of the students who took the course earlier advised C not to go for AP Physics C (both Mechanics and E&M) in senior year since the teacher is crazy PhD with super high expectations. And that it would look bad not having a great grade at the end of 1st marking period. C took it anyway and as expected had a B (eventually pulled up to A- by end of year).

We don’t know how it impacted the admissions decisions. But C got into top choice program, so can’t complain. Don’t know enough about AP Physics 1, but think it is algebra based instead of calculus. Shouldn’t make a big difference impression wise I believe.

I know people recommend accounting if possibly considering business as major for undergrad. But even for business, better to go for some rigorous math based courses like Calc BC, Stats or Multiple Variable or Diff equations if there is a choice. And those courses will definitely add .more weight to the transcript impression wise. Between Accounting and Sociology I vote for the latter.

I don’t see anything wrong with posting questions from previous cycles. As @PPofEngrDr said these questions may be available online or shared thru private messages. Also, consultants are known to gather these things from their clients and market them for next cycle. I don’t see anything wrong with that either.

Yes that was right approach for that interview cycle, so that pending interviewees don’t have unintended advantage. Case here is different, ?s are posted from 2 years back cycle and that has no bearing on that cycle, current or any future cycle outcome. It is as good as ACT/SAT practice test.
As far as good doctor goes, I know that even I was fumbled when some of answers I heard that don’t sound right at all however they were a correct answer from medical professional point of view. For MMI, especially it is important to note that there is no right or wrong answers for so many policy related questions, an applicant participated in debate club in school it can benefit a lot.

AP Physics 1 is fine as long as getting a good grade in 1st semester. DD20 took Chem in a local college last Summer evening because she could not fit it in her Senior schedule, and was not confident if she can get a good grade. Choosing to take it in a local college let her decide if she wants to send the grade or not. She got an A in the end and happily sent the transcript and got some college credits. Doing so required us to pay more $$$ for the course and sending separate transcripts to number of applications.
Reason why taking the class in the evening was to do Research/Volunteer in the day time. DD was busy as hell last Summer but GLADLY it is over. :wink:

@mygrad2021 disregard 1st part of my response in post #2841, was more thinking from AP Exam at the end of year.

@mygrad2021

Over Grades and rigor of courses are very important.
AP Physics 1 is algebra based while AP Physics C is Calc based.
If your D is taking Calc BC at the same time, it should be okay with AP Physics C.

I do not think choice of one subject (by itself) impacts negatively - it is more a case of pattern of courses selected over the course of high school. Relative to other students within the same high school, it boils down to how many rigorous courses have you taken and how well have you performed in those courses.

Following the above discussion, if folks are ok with posting questions asked in previous cycles, can someone post questions asked at BU in the earlier cycles?