***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

The question whether affirmative action policy is fair has been asked many times in recent years. I am curious about your responses, especially the over represented minorities? Thank you!

I suspect any SOM will ask that question in interview as that is not a term used by AMCAS. I am sure most participants are ORM here, so it would be a bias opinion.

@BAMDHopeful - What’s the use of debating affirmative action here? Open a separate thread if you want to discuss.

Thanks you all for your responses. @rk2017 , looks like your C received A- by end of the every year but for us unfortunately it’s semester wise grades shown in the transcript so little more worried.
@NoviceDad , she took all the rigorous courses till now but she has few B’s in 1st semester but scored A’s in the 2nd semester. They don’t average in our school, Because of that her current GPA is 3.91. Trying not to get more B’s in the 2nd semester of junior and also 1st semester of senior year. I understand GPA is an important factor in these BS/Md programs. I learned from all of you that it should be at least more than 3.90. so keeping this in mind trying to figure out if it makes any difference between AP Physics 1 and Physics C. Can anyone tell me how hard AP Physics C compared to AP Physics 1? I know one is Algebra based and the other is calc based.

Interview invites and dates for Drexel’s Ba/Bs-MD program are on the portal now!

Physics 1 and 2 are algebra-based, and are year-long each. Physics C, calculus-based, has two parts: kinematics and electromagnetics (each is sem-long). If you want college credits toward college graduation for STEM majors, then Physics C. The concepts are the same. The way you approach setting up solution would be different because of the math. So, Physics 1 and 2 would serve as foundation for college-level physics later.

@mygrad2021

If she has a few Bs, I suggest take Physics 1 and get an A.
Physics C is harder than Physics 1.
While the concepts being discussed are the same, the questions being asked to solve in Phy C involve calculus and are therefore different and can be harder.

Has anyone received interview or rejection from University of South Alabama?

Also depends on the teacher and the grade deflation at the school, one needs to factor in. Remember C’s first AP in Chemistry. First day of class, the teacher sets the expectations of a class average C on the course grade and 5 on the AP test!
And these are the students who had to hop over multiple prerequisites of high grades in specific subjects to get into the class to begin with!

(C got A-, 5 on AP and 800 on SAT subject)

Any idea if this is in-person or over the phone?

Is UConn done with their invites? I’d an admissions person email me saying the invites go out in early Feb!

never mind - realized that it is in-person.

What are your Cs stats when she submitted BSMD application?

3.83 unweighted, 4.26 weighted.
Everything else perfect.

I just got an interview with Drexel BS/MD. Does anyone know how many students typically get accepted to the Drexel program?

Good stats from an uber competitive HS and doing great at BU. So I am still not sure why traditional path was not considered seriously. How much time was spent on ECs (especially clinical ) during ECs?

We had all the confidence that C could make it to JHU kind of med school in traditional route. I preferred C going to Quantitative finance instead (with significant scholarship). But respected C’s decision of whatever choice. And happy with the decision!

What was your child’s reasoning? I am asking for the benefit of others. In our case also my S made the decision and I explained it previously.

rejected by Drexel

not sure what is being expected

can those of that have invites please share your STATs