***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@brainbuilder02 Just hang in until May 1st. You never know which school may surprise you depending on where all you applied.

It is not just stats determine the outcome and it is a complete package. But what is expected in the package by each school differs.

If you have posted your details, post the number in the thread and can take a look at it. Quick glance did not see your details.

Hi,

Has anyone applied to BSMD at FAU? Any idea how old is the program and how good? Someone mentioned about something going on at Temple. Can you please elaborate what is going on with Temple?

Thanks

Congratulations to your son!

@theman2567

Drexel: If I recall correctly, they interview ~ 120 and give offers to 50-60 out of which ~35-40 join.
There are no waitlists.

Any news from NJMS after NJIT forwarded the students? Thanks!

@brainbuilder02 I would also not recommend Drexel BS/MD. It is ranked in the bottom pile by USN.

None of this will have any meaningful affect on BS/MD selection process (One AP score/grade, Accounting, Sociology etc). AP Chemistry may be more helpful than AP Physics-C course. Accounting/Finance is irrelevant.

"
Note 4/5 was a practical involving the construction of a K’nex diagram. In this portion of the interview you had to work with another one of the applicants. Yea you heard me this is what they use to determine whether or not you should get into their med school , how well you can use K’nex the toy you played with as a kid."

Wonder, how is building K’nex construction diagram relevant to getting into a Medical School ? Very unfair to those who had never played with K’nex toy before. It assumes some thing which is NOT true for all sections of the society. We had never heard of K’nex toy, hence never bought it. We could surely afford it. !!!

In a BS/MD interview, this was asked
"
Note 4/5 was a practical involving the construction of a K’nex diagram. In this portion of the interview you had to work with another one of the applicants. Yea you heard me this is what they use to determine whether or not you should get into their med school , how well you can use K’nex the toy you played with as a kid."

Wonder, how is building K’nex construction diagram relevant to getting into a Medical School ? Very unfair to those who had never played with K’nex toy before. It assumes some thing which is NOT true for all sections of the society. We had never heard of K’nex toy, hence never bought it. We could surely afford it. !!!

@PAdude

Congratulations and thank you for sharing your son’s profile. 16 APs! He must have hardly slept. If you are kind enough, can you please share SAT 2 Math, Biology and Chemistry scores?

@brainbuilder02
Don’t be disheartened! You have some interviews, if I remember correctly. If you go on the acceptance thread of last year (or any year…), you will see that even the most impressive students have plenty of rejections. It’s the nature of the beast. Many people even said that they have no idea what the schools are looking for.

If you have interviews, then you are still in the game and there is reason for hope. Only 10% of the applicants gets interviews, so you are in the select few.

I did find that in the past few years Drexel has had around 1,000 applications and has admitted 30. Plenty of students got that very same email today, including my S.

@BSMD2020Tired He was able to start taking AP in 9th grade and additionally at least 2 of the AP he took the exam but did not sit through the coarse ( just read review book and some time on Khan academy) I want to say Human geography and one other I can’t recall. Per SAT 2 , math 780. The other two he did not take. His other SAT 2 were Physics 760 and Spanish. He had been dual enrolled in high school and our local community college since 10th grade and took about 1 or 2 classes a semester outside high school. I feel this was good prep for college because it showed him the obvious difference between pace in high school and college. For reference our community college is actually fairly rigorous and respectsble. He took Chemistry 1&2 there while his classmates took ap chem at high school. He said he was always 3-4 chapters ahead of their pace at anytime. He took the AP chem exam based on the community college coarse (not taking that AP class) and scored a 5. No one else in his high school who took AP chem scored 5, so it seemed the college level coarse was more in depth and perhaps better taught?

@PAdude

Very nice. Great and brilliant student. Kudos to him. It looks like there are some topics which are not taught in high school but are on SAT 2 and AP exams.

@PAdude & To any one: FYI.

Any dual enrollment (DE) or any community college(CC) courses taken need to be included when student applies via AMCAS for medical education. Do not assume only 4 year college credit alone need to be reported. If any one does DE or CC for whatever reason, do it earnestly. Do not do it just for fun or casual and get bad grades, especially in science related courses which will impact sGPA later.

Also remember the rigor of 4 year college STEM courses (few weed courses) in competitive colleges will be a notch higher than the best of community colleges.
Not understating some of the best teachers in community college but the students background in CC is different from 4 year colleges.

@rk1235rk I applied to FAU but have not heard anything yet. Have you?

Did anyone else receive an email from Drew University regarding their ba/md status?

@bsmdparent1234 Yes got email that application forwarded to NJMS. Good luck to you!

Similar to NJIT, is TCNJ also informing applicants regarding forwarding selected applicants to NJMS

Hello All!

Did anyone in this forum also apply to MSU OMSP? It is Michigan State’s BS/DO program. When I first contacted OMSP with some questions last December, they told me that I would hear back from them by late January. I have not heard anything yet, but has anyone else heard back?

Thank you in advance! :smile:

TCNJ is mostly chosen by County Health Academy students in NJ only if they get into NJMS. Most prefer to go to Rutgers-NB for UG (over NJIT and TCNJ) with generous merit based scholarships.
NJIT and TCNJ are mostly preferred by OOS students if they get into NJMS.