***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@brainbuilder02

Don’t over analyze. Take it in the stride. It is not too uncommon for things to not happen in this realm. I haven’t seen your stats but guess they must be excellent. But did come across some truly outstanding backgrounds in the past couple of years who did not get into ANY BS/MD program they had applied to.

Yes, having a consultant would have helped, but guess not a lot unless you were in a long term program with them. Like starting with freshman year or sophomore.
For anything shorter, they would have had more expertise in judging your essays and perhaps given you some mock interview practices at most.

Yes, that is true. But I heard of the other extreme as well. Unfortunately both of them resulted in eventually not getting accepted into the program.

An ex colleague’s C had an interview with this apparently old personality who started the interview in a nagging way from get go, starting with something like it is too early for students of this age group to know whether medicine is the right career for them or not and blah blah (then why was he even on the interview committee with such preconceived notions?). The colleague’s C still tried to convince that she/he is genuinely interested and what not, but the tone of the interview did not change. And as expected wasn’t selected, but someone else from the same school did get selected (not sure if was interviewed by the same person or not)

Another ex colleague’s C (about whom I mentioned earlier), perfect in every which way had a very pleasant experience, with what the interviewer (not sure if the same old person referred to above or different) even trying to convince how the program is best fit for her/him and indirectly suggesting not to turn it down when offered admission. He/she thought was set for the program but eventually a month later found out that some one else from the same high school with similar credentials but also a star athlete of the school had been chosen.

Not sure how many on this thread may fall into this category. But an underprivileged talented kid won’t be able to afford that at all.

I guess a global ranking system from mid-eastern or Greek/Spain, something from that part of world knows better about US colleges.

Times higher is based in London, known world wide for its reputation. No wonder Wall Street Journal partnered with them to come up with a competing meaningful rankings for colleges, only in 3rd year or so, but is expected to beat the c*&^ out of the obsolete faulty and often cited web site in the near future.

There is nothing perfect, except president’s call. :wink:

Has same questions.

@NoviceDad When will NW send out rejections? End of February? Is it safe to say that if you don’t get an interview by mid-Feb you can count NW out

I have the same questions.

@NoviceDad When will NW send out rejections? End of February? Is it safe to say that if you don’t get an interview by mid-Feb you can count NW out

I have the same questions.

That’s way exaggerated! I know you are trying to find answers to why you did not get the interviews expected but doesn’t give you the right to blame parents. BTW, this thread is dominated by parents than students so you are preaching to wrong crowd.

As I told you privately, don’t take to heart the BSMD outcomes. Only 5% of them medical school admissions are thru BSMD and most top tier programs 9regardles whatever ranking site you used) don’t have BSMD programs.

No ranking system is perfect and there are several of them. USNWR is widely used and not sure why you rile against it whenever someone mentions it!

Interestingly USNWR ranks BU as 40th and Times/WSJ ranks as 44th in USA

https://www.bu.edu/admissions/why-bu/facts-and-rankings/

@BSMD mom
@PathophysiologyFTW
@orm2022

Does FAU send out interview notifications already? The application was due 1/10, so it would be quite soon if they sent decisions out yet, right?

Thank you. So the first batch of HPME invites were out Jan 31st.

@helix8 I did not receive a FAU interview notification. I’m not sure if it’s out yet.

@grtd2010 i was under the same impression like you before my D joined the program… NJIT and Rutgers acceptance rate and avg SAT are very much similar… NJIT honor class avg SAT class is 1500+ last year… They were able to attract Ivy bound, JHU, etc. students to their honors college by giving full ride… Another interesting fact is, many honors college kids are having better stats than BSMD kids… i am not just talking about just pre-med kids… even in other discipline like CS, Business Admin… etc… NJIT is ranked has moved up with in hundred in US news ranking… i was surprised to see google, Amazon offers…

The loss of own residency slots/seats has made Drexel’s BS/MD or regular MD even worse.

My comment was more specifically for Health Academy Students in NJ who intend to pursue BS/MD or MD. NJIT is a good Engineering school.

If you get selected by NJMS and both TCNJ and NJIT forwarded your application to NJMS, then you can choose either one TCNJ or NJIT.

@brainbuilder02
I do not think college professors are answerable to parents. The grading policies are mostly governed by university and departmental policies. Most have will have no time to take any phone call from parents except during assigned office hours for the class.

@grtd2010 for premed, you are right… rutgers NB has many more majors than NJIT… Hidden adv for NJIT premeds could be smaller classes and easy to get research in NJIT and NJMS…