***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

All NJMS-BS/MD acceptances are delivered nearly at the same time. You may have to wait until all interviews have been completed (March time frame).

anyone received UPITT GAP interview

Hi have questions let’s say we have received interview invitation to NJMS school through Rutgers, but also received undergrad interview with Stevens so Stevens is scheduled next week and NJMS scheduled in March so if the stevens interview does not go well, do they send anything to NJMS at all. Or only if they interested then only they will send to NJMS as do not want anything if stevens denieds to send to NJMS since we have interview schedule in March with them.

If NJMS selects you for BS/MD from Rutgers- Newark after NJMS interview and Stevens did not forward your BS/MD application to NJMS, you can only attend Rutgers-Newark for UG(for BS/MD). There is only ONE interview with NJMS.

1 Like

@ubsmd2020 On Feb 15th Pitt Gap will be out

@NoviceDad - Regarding BU interviews - did your students get a sense that they invited fewer kids this year and are they expecting a smaller class

Also typically how many kids get invited for HPME interviews

Do we need to commit to Brooklyn college first in order to be considered for downstate BA/MD?

@srk2017
brainbuilder02 wrote: »
My school principal always says - this is the era for helicopter parents who would even write to college professors questioning why their kids were graded a certain way. We can figure things out; if we dont, we learn and move on.
That’s way exaggerated! I know you are trying to find answers to why you did not get the interviews expected but doesn’t give you the right to blame parents. BTW, this thread is dominated by parents than students so you are preaching to wrong crowd.

As I told you privately, don’t take to heart the BSMD outcomes. Only 5% of them medical school admissions are thru BSMD and most top tier programs 9regardles whatever ranking site you used) don’t have BSMD programs.

@srk2017 , I do think your comment to @brainbuilder02 was way too harsh. I give him a lot of credit, he is going through this process without the guidance from parents (or consultants) like us on this site. I have guided my son plenty of times along the way as well as sought out advice from people in the field. And it has helped him. Kids who get more guidance do have advantages. Nothing wrong with acknowledging that. We all know some parents who do get too involved. I know plenty of them. And it wouldn’t surprise me if some parents did call college professors. I remember my niece told me some of her college friend’s parents would get involved when problems arose.

@brainbuilder02 I do think you have much to be proud of. Rejection stings at any age and can cause self-doubt. But you do seem to realize that what happens today doesn’t necessary change the course of your life 10 years from now. We can all see you have what it takes, so just remember the path from Point A to Point B doesn’t have to be linear. At the end of the day, you will get there.

ps
 there is an assumption that mostly everyone here is an ORM. Just outing myself as a non-ORM.

@“Phil G” helicoptering is not same as helping kids. Helping the kid is like kid is a driver and parent is a passenger. Helicoptering case, parent is a driver and kid is a passenger and that kid will never learn how to drive as simple as that. I don’t think any parent on this thread favors helicoptering. If kid is not able to resolve problems of their own in colleges, , learn from their mistakes, certainly I don’t want to visit that to be Dr in my life.

@Unimom28

It is generally a good idea that one of the parents steps back and shows a little less enthusiasm in the child’s career and let the other parent take charge. That way the child doesn’t perceive both the parents as overly pushy and may still be receptive to the other parent conveying the same message or feed back in a different or milder tone.

No matter what may be the eventual outcome, don’t forget to convey to your child how proud you are of him/her for trying their best and assuring that it’s just a matter of time for them to realize their dreams. Also let them know you are fine with whatever decisions they may make about their career choice and always can count on your support.

I would rather both parents to be more enthusiasm and supporting kid likes/choices, like said earlier, rather be a passenger than a driver (parent can’t be in charge). Think more like kid is on a learning permit and needs more guidance than an experienced driver, still kid is a driver, not a parent.

Thank you sir! Your encouragement and support means a lot to me. Please do wish me well in this journey.

@PPofEngrDr
I in no way suggested that parents on this thread are helicopter parents. Please reread my message, I think you misunderstood what I said. I merely pointed out that some kids get more help than others.

@grtd2010 Thank you but if stevens are not interested then they would not forward anything to NJMS right.

Lol its hilarious, neither do I. Just merely pointing out the difference. It is unfair for a kid to say at the same time helicoptering in school vs college. School has Parent Teacher meeting being a kid as a minor. @brainbuilder02 may not be even aware of FERPA that exist in college and parent can’t do anything about it (yes parent can’t even see kid’s grade unless kid allows parent). So that original comment from school principal about helicoptering parent is indeed exaggerated from college perspective.

@Phil%20G - I am not harsh at all. In fact @brainbuilder02 communicated with privately and I gave constructive advice. Do you know what percentage of parents contacts college professors (or high school teachers)? It’s easy to generalize with one or two examples, just like people tirelessly quote few failures to push BS/MD at any cost opinion.

I always offered to help for free if someone needs help and I give unbiased advice nad I do get few PMs every cycle. If I see exaggerations and vested opinions I call out but I am not trying to be harsh to anyone.

Got NJMS interview invitation through TCNJ

@Docparent

HPME - they invite ~ 120 kids.

BU - will get a better feel after next week

At some point this month, will NJMS send out rejection letters to those that they have decided not to give interviews to or will they reject people as they go over the candidates’ files and decide the match?

@ekballerbsmd2019 Hey! Had some questions regarding the SUNY Upstate BS/MD program if yea dont mind?