***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

did anybody apply to the upstate accelerated scholars program?

@scarlet20

I believe you should all your options open till April and then decide.
As @rk2017 mentioned, now is the time to let BU know you are interested in their undergrad.

You can decide in April which is the best option for you based on all acceptances and financial aid offers.

Can someone please tell me if BU considers you for their regular decision pool if it rejects you for SMed?

Also, forgot to mention, the acceptance rate at BU last year for all undergrads was 19%, with more and more choosing to apply ED. So the competition for presidential scholarships is going to be intense among many highly accomplished applicants and the awards spread across multiple schools and departments equitably. Shouldn’t be issue for NMF awards though I guess.

@NoviceDad
Thank you for the HPME information! Looks like I will receive the rejection late this month, I had been already admitted to a top ivy school and will go through the traditional route instead.

Thank you @rk2017 and @NoviceDad for your input. You made a valid point to switch the program now. Will follow-up.

@megkush - I was trying to figure out the same. See post # 3091.

@NoviceDad thank you !!

@rk2017 What do you need to do during the application time for 25k/year Scholarship at BU ?

I heard BU is all or Nothing if you apply for SMED.

@DroneFly

• Nothing if you are a NMF finalist (based on PSAT). Once admitted to BU (if), you have a week or so to register BU as 1st choice at some National Merit portal. You can find the details by searching BU website for national merit. Subsequently you will be notified by BU of the award.
  • For presidential awards, the more prestigious ones but similar amounts, the admissions folks decide based on the strength of academics, ECs, recommendations, school/major applied to, application essays and the whole nine yards.
  • They also have something called trustee scholarships, for which application and essay must have been due early December or so. Just 20 of these for the entire incoming class that cover the entire tuition for undergrad. Mostly one can forget about getting it.
  • And of course they are quite generous with all need based awards, may not cover 100% of calculated need but a significant portion of it.

thank you @rk2017

No, Boston U.

Thanks @MichaelaMoonPrep !

does anyone think that union/amc final decisions will come out sometime this week? the earliest interviews took place just under a month ago

Did PSU-Jefferson-Kimmel send any acceptances?

@starplatinum they have interviews going through 3/7, I believe, and told us as a result that no results before the last week of feb (75% of the people would be put under consideration out of respect for people interviewing in march), and more results will come out mid-late march

Did PSU PMM send any acceptances?

I think PMM results are expected next week.

Hi all, how hard do you think it is to actually get into these programs?

Would you consider a top tier BSMD like Case or Pitt about the same level as an ivy league?
What about programs like AMC or NJMS?

@sgup10

all of these programs are at an ivy-league or T20 level of selectivity.

For example, with Case this year, they had 2500 applicants for 70 interview spots. thats a roughly 2.8% acceptance rate just for the interview, not even for a final decision.

Even lower-tier programs like AMC or NJMS:

Union/AMC for example took 80 for an interview out of 530–that’s a 15% acceptance rate, which is if not ivy, T20 level competitiveness.

TCNJ/NJMS: 80 are selected to interview out of 400 applicants, so 20%. Again, T20 level.

The bottom line is that to be accepted to any of these programs is a significant and worthy accomplishment–be grateful for any acceptances received! There are many who go through this process without a single interview or acceptance, and to have a guaranteed seat in medical school (for most programs) is a true blessing.