4. Kaiser
  5. Geisinger if opting for Primary care
  6. For good % of students in UCLA.
  7. Few others like item 5 or 6
  8. T20s for extra ordinary students merit aid

B. Very low cost (around $150k or so)
9. All Texas Medical schools
10. U of New Mexico

C. In state medical schools IS students (Around $250k minimum)

D. OOS students in public & Private schools (Anywhere $250-500k)

Not seen any hard stats or reports. But ball park guess, Group A may benefits around 800 and Group B around 1400 students. Roughly 10% of yearly admitted students. Remaining 90% of students have to plan $250k or above.

Hence it is normal to expect either students have no loans since their parents took care of the bill or students will invariably will have loans and interests. and it takes 5-10 years after residency to become debt free.

If money is tight, if at all possible is to save during UG since most students can get need or merit aid (if willing to forgo Ivy or Top 50 schools for UG). If students are clear about medicine and money is a critical factor, need to compromise to go to a school where cost is contained.

If medicine is not sure, certainly paying the money at Ivy or Top schools may benefit to explore all the opportunities a good college can expose and be open to shell out $250k if not eligible for need based aid.

It is a choice and and the decision may differ with any individual student / family.

Focusing on 600k cost of 8 year PLME is over-stretching. Med schools (private) cost about the same 40k-60k per year and most med students take out the fed loan. The pros of PLME is its undergrad Ivy reputation, B average requirement and no MCAT. Take a shot at NYU med school is not that easy if you take a closer look at NYU med school admitted stats (close to 3.9 GPA, 520+ MCAT). If you have that high stats, you can take a shot at all the MD/PhD which are free+stipend.

Does anybody have a list of BS/MD schools that provide full ride or good merit scholarship for those who get accept to the program ?

So far, I heard that NJIT, and someone just mentioned Temple will get BS/MD admitted full ride ?

Thanks in advance.

I think UAB also provides full tuition for undergrad, but has instate and regional preference in selections. Rutgers Nwk also does, but may not be to as many as NJIT does. Some of the feeders for the newer Upstate program may also do, you have to find out For NMF status FAU and OU.

Temple falls in the genre of EAP and don’t think can be equated to other programs in terms of guarantee. I have known people getting selected to that program and few others, and perhaps because of this and / or other factors, always opting for the other programs even without price breaks. Check out further details yourself.

@rk2017 : thanks for the great info.

We are on the fence of adding GW to our list since it’s very close to home and with 7 yrs program and perhaps some merit, it would be the same cost of paying for in-state. That only if they accept her to their BS/MD program. We also like Pitt, since they have very good pre-med track and if the cost is the same as instate, we would also consider.

@PathophysiologyFTW

Congratulations!

Folks

Re: Cost

NEED based scholarships:
Most colleges have online aid calculators that give a ball-park estimate of your likely undergrad aid.
Here is a link to Northwestern’s aid website:
https://admissions.northwestern.edu/tuition-aid/estimating-domestic-aid.html

I suggest folks check out the relevant aid pages of colleges they receive an acceptance and check what aid they may get.

Also, get familiar with FAFSA - the EFC number is greatly used to determine need based aid.

Rule of thumb: if your total income is >150K, your chance of getting a NEED based aid is nearly zero (is different if you have multiple kids in college).

MERIT scholarships:
Your chances of getting merit based aid is HIGHER in public schools than private schools.

anyone else got HPME invite today ? the third batch ? I haven’t gotten yet

@uravgperson, is the Uconn interview MMI format or normal group interview? Can you please let us know.

Folks

College Admission scandal - former PIMCO CEO sentenced 9 months in prison and fined $750K.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/former-pimco-ceo-to-be-sentenced-in-college-admissions-scandal-11581089874?mod=breakingnews

Got UPitt GAP

Congrats! @brainbuilder02

Patience is virtue! Happy for you.

Congrats @brainbuilder02 !!!

Thank you @NoviceDad @PPofEngrDr : Have 4 lined up; keeping fingers crossed

Any insight into UPitt interviews - how hard, traditional or MMI? UPMC is a great school and I am sure competitive. How many do they traditionally invite and how many get in?

All you senior members truly are like my mentors, and I am reading all your guidance carefully. If you have specific advice for me, please PM me. Thank you all.

@brainbuilder02 which 4 did you get?

@brainbuilder02 Congratulations!

@brainbuilder02
this is all there on the website luckily…
https://oafa.pitt.edu/explore/guaranteed-admissions-programs/medicine-gap/

Which 4 invites did u get ?