***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@junebug20
Right, mine did as well, so I’m assuming that means Rice forwarded our applications to BCM-which I think means that we’re accepted at Rice?

I would not read that much into it. It’s likely that the applications qualify, but I would not say that with 100% certainty since we don’t know what other factors admissions use for acceptances. Only the 25 candidates with interview with BCM could say that they have been accepted since Rice notifications will be out before the BCM interview date.

@Hakhan @junebug20 Rice sent a f/u email(after Baylor rejection email) asking to upload the mid-year transcript if C wish to be considered for the UG portion. So no acceptance from Rice.

Agree. The Mid-Year transcript is one of the factors for an acceptance.

For those who are still waiting for HPME’s status, I just called HPME office, they told me they were still reviewing applicants now, they already sent rejection/interviews emails for the applicants they reviewed, they will send more interview/rejection notifications till March 1.

@peebu2024
Yeah you’re right, that makes sense

I second what @Agooddoctor said, I also just called the HPME admissions office and they said that we can continue to expect interview notifications until March (I was expressly told by the director of HPME undergraduate admissions to not “work yourself into a frenzy” because they still have several invites to give out)

@peebu2024 @Hakhan @junebug20

Interesting insight about Rice and the comms sent. I got a decline from BCM and a note from Rice undergrad admissions right after saying that if I am interested in undergrad at Rice, there is nothing more I need to do and my admission decision would be communicated with RD applicants. There was no mention of midyear transcript. My HS counselor submitted mid year report to all schools through the common app on Friday.

I do know they send about 300 applicants to BCM from the 1400 that were received.

It is the same criteria for comparing any two students from any two high schools.
West Windsor Plainboro (WW PLB) North (#16) and South(#17) high schools are excellent but there are some better highly ranked competitive high schools in NJ such as High Technology school(#1), Bergen County Academies(#2), two Middlesex County Academies (Science & Engineering Technology(#3) as well as Allied Health(#6)), Biotechnology High School(#5), etc (See USN High School rankings for NJ).
West Windsor Plainboro is know for a very high concentration of Desi’s and other Asians ethnic groups which makes it a very competitive environment for the students. .

@brainbuilder02
FYI, The South Brunswick High School (it had BU BS/MD successful students in past) is ranked #90 in NJ by USN. Any student from any high school can succeed in BS/MD race.

any word on when NJMS interviews will come out?

I recently found out that a couple people in my school (Central Jersey, in state) got an interview. Is the window closed for NJMS? Was told by a friend that they were still going out.

Thanks for the update on HPME. Did anyone receive a rejection from HPME yet?

Amusement break :-). We do need that here and I support that!
After all someone is volunteering to do that.
Can’t but wonder though, is there anything that USN does properly?

Courtesy @GreenPoison (who is by the way a TCNJ/NJMS student now)

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/discussion/comment/21411475/#Comment_21411475

That is what happens even at nationally reputed schools like TJHSST and Stuyvesant too. People end up killing each others’ chances since these programs take one or two from each school. If you have some outstanding student from your school who stands out in one or more ways from the rest, then whosoever applies to the same set of programs from the same school, knowingly or unknowingly, may end up being out of luck. Eventually that student will end up going to only one or none of the programs but others could be left with no options. What is worse, none of these programs have early decision options like regular undergrad (except one), so chances are this outstanding student going that route, getting done by December with it, and staying out of competition with the rest are close to nil.

Let’s hope that not too many outstanding students from the same schools applying to these programs and it won’t happen to the folks here.

I will drive from Western New York for my son’s UC BS MD interview in March.

Well said, “People end up killing each others’ chances since these programs take one or two from each school”. Folks in NJ who still have time, please consider buying houses in other school districts than West Windsor Plainsboro for your kids sake.

Sounds like oxymoron, top dog from Harvard high school doesn’t like competition. Irony is same parents who are unhappy about outcome are the ones who pick those school districts to begin with. As I tell my kids, hope for best and plan for worst, you will not regret outcome or choice you make.

It is true you not only compete within your school but also with students from your state. Top programs like diversity unless you apply instate to programs like Cincinnati.

You can see similar behavior with HYPS EA admissions. Trend is none or one per school with exception of some feeder schools.

Yes to ORM parents this is oxymoron as they always like to send kids to super competitive high schools.

My D attended a top ranked (by USN) public school in NJ, not West Windsor Plainsboro high schools. The housing prices have sky rocketed in certain areas with highly competitive schools.