***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@holychild do you have any other info you could share aboutu the interview (in regard to post #3563)?

@holychild @bsmdperson

Rememeber when you certified your credentials and accepeted the interview invitation, the student agreed not to disclose the content of the interview. The AMC forum on SDN also adheres to this principle.

I am not going to comment on ethics or other issues this brings up. I know neither of you.

Just be yourself and you will do well. you took CASPER… :slight_smile:

@holychild @bsmdperson Does AMC disclose some sort of general outline for interview day activities as part of interview invitation communication? something like initial presentation, parental presentation, any financial aid presentation, interview part, some sort of Chem assessment (if applicable), college tour etc. Sometimes they split large audience into 2 groups and activities among those 2 groups are swapped between morning and afternoon session.
If not, invitee can certainly asked for it to get some sense. It is hard for me to imagine college that wants non-disclosure sign from teenagers, do not care enough to provide some basic guidelines to teenagers and parents.

@rk2017 for the 4+4 program through RWJ is there an like application process after you get invitation to write essays or something or if you get invite they will just call for interviews. As I was picked for both Honors College through SAS and SEBS.

@brainbuilder02 in March have interview for NJMS

This what it says under the Process and Timeline section about the program.

“Presidential Scholars will be sent a letter of invitation to apply, which involves sending a letter of interest highlighting their commitment to a career in medicine as well as their views on how taking a global perspective in their medical education will help to improve the development of healthcare and treatment of patients locally and worldwide. Outstanding applicants will be selected for an in-person interview to occur in March at Robert Wood Johnson Medical School. Final decisions will be made by April 1.”

Expect the competition to be severe though, they may not invite more than 30-40 for the interviews out of the pool of the many outstanding invited to apply.

The program also provides the flexibility of applying out to the candidates if desired (like most of typical unaccelerated programs). But as mentioned earlier, RWJ being wonderful by itself, just fine if one chooses to graduate the medical school through the program.

Thanks for the information, its really helpful. I can imagine the competition for this program :smile:

bump

This is the response from a faculty member on other site about Step 1 P/F change.

Step II will essentially be the new Step I. And once Step II becomes P/F too, residencies will expect applicants to have completed Step III and be board certified prior to starting residency. :smile:

Also consensus on other site is school prestige may matter more with these changes (grades P/F, Step I P/F). Again all speculations but worth considering all these things when making decisions.

USMLE Pass/fail

Interesting article by one Tania Jenkins, PhD (assistant professor at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill in the department of sociology) on Intended and Unintended Consequences of Pass/Fail:

https://www.taniajenkins.com/step1

USMLE Pass/fail

FYI -

1. there is a signature campaign going on on change (dot) org to stop/reconsider this change of Step 1 pass/fail

2. there is lobbying activity going on to
    a) cap the number of residencies a student can apply to;
    b) changing residency match process from single match to multiple matches

3. Some interesting perspectives on Pass/Fail can also be found on - thesheriffofsodium (dot) com - a blog/website run by Dr Bryan Carmody - an influential guy on #MedTwitter

Any one got an invitation or rejection from NU HPME?

Last week we heard from two members who called HPME office that the invitations will be going out until March. But it is surprising that no one has posted any new invitations. There has been silence among CC members about this. Its likely that the number of invitations going out each week is very small (4 or 5) and none of these members are active on CC. Considering that previous applicants were given 10 or 11 days notice to sign up - there is good chance that the last invitations will go out until Feb 21st. Just speculating.

On Reddit, people are discussing of getting interview invites last week (Wednesday). No one is talking about getting rejection letters though.

Has anyone from CA gotten HPME interview? been hearing rumors that invites are being sent out based on geographical location

I doubt it. More likely its being reviewed based on the date the application was submitted.

The above article is tilted towards the bad side effects on non-USMDs. Some US residencies are almost 90% staffed by USMDs. The lack of more non-USMDS in University hospitals based residencies bothers the author. Non-USMDs are those with a MD degree from outside US and Canadian Universities. Here, we are talking about all US based BS/MD and regular MD programs.

The rejection letters will be the last item on the to-do list of folks handling this. All the invitations will go first. As time passes, the chances of getting an invitation decreases.

duplicate.

Does anyone know if SBU/GW sends rejection letters?