***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@talk Congratulations with all those interviews.

@BSMD2020Tired

One key aspect of WASHU is that they bear your travel expenses for the interview weekend.

I do not know the exact number but my GUESS is it may be around 10-12.

@talk
Congratulations.

NOT knowing anything about you or your situation, I am venturing an opinion - yes, I would skip Drexel (without any further thought) and skip Hofstra (after having some thought) considering my situation.

@NoviceDad I am new to this, what would you like to know so I can provide some info.

@wolfroland Rejection letter in the mail from SBU. My friend got one.

@NoviceDad Drexel and Hofstra is offering good scholarship so cost wise it will same as Penn State ( I am in State) but those two programs are 4 +4

@brainbuilder02 @Nvidia20 there were students there from Union, Sienna and RPI so those feeder schools go through the process I described.

for ORMs it’s low tier :wink:

I know of a student who got into BU traditional route last year as a presidential scholar but chose to go to Pitt for the weather and proximity reasons. Seems to love it there, got a shadowing opportunity with a famed neuro surgeon and another coveted medical EC. Maintained perfect GPA first semester. Planning on double majoring and a minor.

Yes Pitt 3.75 is relatively much easier than at WashU.

If one wants to get a more close to ground reality picture with rankings and what not for a secondary affirmation, better look up Times higher clinical rankings and focus on the schools in US and scores in individual categories and the overall. (They also have separate rankings for life sciences)

Upitt requirments at both 3.75 overall GPA as well as 3.75 science GPA.

It is easier to get overall gpa than science GPA.

Are there any science GPA requirements for WASU ?

On serious note, rankings or matriculation requirements for BSMD should be considered carefully when making the final decision. school rank itself won’t make one successful and as others pointed there are different ranking sites and you need to dig deep into them and see which criteria is more important for you.

Brown will send letters of Decision for the Plme program on March 26th

@talk
Skip Drexel interview.

If cost is a factor, review between Hofstra and PSU but evaluate the cost for the entire 7 or 8 years and not scholarship only for UG. Is Hofstra giving aid for MD?

Northwester decision for Hpme program will be sent around Mid March

I just heard today that an applicant who ditched BS/MD admission to go to traditional route, got 100 percentile on MCAT.

Question about RPI campus tour after the AMC Interview?

Is the RPI tour part of the interview or only a courteous offer after the AMC interview? We will get there a few days prior to the AMC interview, and we are thinking to tour RPI campus before the AMC interview.

Thanks for the help!

@talk

Since the costs is nearly the same, it is NOT a deciding factor.

Penn State undergrad is way better than both Drexel and Hofstra. Another potential advantage is that you can use your AP/IB credits and potentially complete the undergrad in 2.5 years at Penn.
Jeff Medical school is a very strong established school with strong reputation. Hofstra medical school is a newer school but with its linkages to Northwell system makes it a strong candidate. Drexel med school lost its home residency program and therefore makes it less attractive.

From the above reasoning, it makes sense to skip Drexel/Drexel.
You want to think if there is any other factor that may warrant you to re-think about Hofstra, otherwise skip Hofstra as well.

@PPofEngrDr

Congratulations to that candidate!
NU candidate? Someone I would know?

Do you know how many they take at Drexel

@talk Thanks for your response!! I really appreciate it. I’ve been refreshing two different emails to no avail. I’ll look out in the mail.

Good luck with your interviews. Personally, I think it’s best to interview at Hofstra, because of the hospital system and the likely merit aid you would receive, but wouldn’t worry about Drexel. In my conversations with Drexel students, they have expressed frustration as the classes are unnecessarily difficult, especially in the curve of the classes, and that the faculty aren’t 100% dedicated to teaching. Not to mention the quarter system can get the best of even the strongest students. Philly is nice, but expensive and you may find a more traditional, cost-effective, transformative, and comprehensive undergraduate at Penn State. Hope this helps. Ultimately, do what you think is best and attend where you think you are best suited to receive the highest quality education for an afforable price.