***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Well, then PLME doesn’t come under the umbrella of “most” non accelerated programs, looks like.

PLME - you forfeit your seat if you apply out. Key reason is that a medical seat is valuable and they do not want you to treat them as a safety school.

Did anyone hear back from Sophie Davis/CSOM?

@NoviceDad, @PPofEngrDr and @grtd2010 Thank you. Since we have other thread (which I created 3 years back), I didn’t want to mention here :smile:

Our D interviewed with AMC last year. It wasn’t MMI They had all 5 students to do an activities together and they observed the interaction. D told me they are doing group this year and not MMI. Good luck with the interview!

@mi2019
All the policies and conditions are stipulated in a contract that one signs when one accepts a BS/MD program. One can confirm this information with the appropriate office at the university or may find answers on their website. FYI, almost all active experts in this thread are non-physicians. Physicians who deal with various medical schools know better about the reputation than a common man/woman who does not work in the field. Almost any information can be googled.

@NoviceDad @GoldenRock Thank you for your thoughts and inputs about
Penn State/Jefferson. That will be really helpful for my son.

PSU/SKMC has one of the lowest requirements for GPA and MCAT to matriculate into medical school.

As pointed out earlier here, there had been some 4-6 physicians active in 2019 thread who shared their insights on various fronts of medical education, practice and choices for anyone’s reference.

Yes, good program !

Although, family members of some members may be physicians.

Thank you @bopper

I think I know way better than physicians :smiley: I was involved with my spouse’s residency and fellowship application processes and know T5 faculty and physicians who studied in T10 schools. However as you said information can be googled but lot of biased or toxic information (especially two college related sites) so you need to know how to filter out.

Is WashU not a wise choice because of the number of people they take in BS/MD (aka high risk investment) or is it because of the rigor of the undergraduate. Please advise.

I wouldn’t phrase as wise/unwise choice, rather how far one willing to go for those few seats. Even you go that far, rigor of UG is another factor to tackle. But at the end, product is a solid one. Tbh, surprised that 2 out of 4 are unable to meet their requirements kinda suggests flaws in their selection process to begin with.

Not only how far one is willing to go for those few seats, it’s also how far one is willing to risk early burnout for those seats. I would rather use my time for EC and research than to maintain a 3.8 GPA, not that I won’t try my best. Trying your best is one thing, but having something like that haining over my head is another. It depends on an individual’s perspective.

Thank you for the response. Usually extra rigor should help one become good doctor. But if its 50-50 chance, Its definitely high risk investment.

congratulations to your son! All the best to him

Certainly from pure investment point of view. :neutral:

@ppofbng

Tend to agree with @junebug20 and @PPofEngrDr
Rigor is very important but at the same time you do not want an early burnout - med school will require every ounce of effort, will-power and motivation to excel.
Also, why do BS/MD at WashU if the odds of success are ~50% versus other programs (equally rigorous) where the odds are nearly 100%.