***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Thank you @NoviceDad , @junebug20 and @PPofEngrDr

It comes down to your other UG or BSMD choices Also, you need to figure out if you (or your C) can handle the rigor of the UGs at schools like WashU, Cornell, JHU etc
 My S graduated from a very competitive, asian dominated HS and based on track record of his seniors he decided he can handle the traditional path and gave up BSMDs for prestige. So there is no one solution fits all.

One of my family friend got in good college and with good MCAT score tried 2 yrs and didn’t make it in medical school the traditional way, I heard they are looking for a lot of exp after you finish you UG like 3 yrs.getting in to BS/MD is a a smart way,else it is going to be a challenge.

Did any one hear from FAU?

I wish people spell exact beans rather than very generic because you are going to find all sort of cases all over the map. There are very few people genuinely share their own pitfalls, nature of ORMs. In a traditional route 3.8+ GPA and 520+ MCAT is a 89% success.

Thank you. I am assuming coming back to same med school 4 years later won’t be frowned upon !!!

I wont take the risk getting in traditional route atleast in BSMD you are guaranteed a spot after 3 or 4 yrs

Understandable. Again everyone has different risk tolerance and goals. When giving examples you need to know what exactly happened otherwise it’s hearsay or fear mongering.

@PPofEngrDr @srk2017

In the Traditional route, the choice to medical schools to apply becomes very important, including “safety” schools.

I know of many cases from an Ivy League school with stats of >97 percentile in MCAT, GPA>3.85, research, volunteering, shadowing, obtaining govt grants, international trips and other unique hooks - had to settle for “safety” schools.

Part of the issue is that there are other equally or more qualified kids who hog the interview pipeline. Somewhere I had read that 12% of students get 50% of interviews (not sure this relates to med school or residency).

Part of the issue is schools managing their yields - if they perceive you may not join them, you may not get an interview.

So, be realistic in which colleges to apply as all 130+ medical schools are in play, unlike in BS/MD where ~30 colleges are in play.

I just informed what happen to our family friends. the main reason what he said was no experience after UG.

well rounded kids achieve ECs during UG, not waiting for GAP year to fill the gap, those represent 33% of matriculated students, other 66% fill the gap after UG. Some prefer to fill that gap, inspite of stellar UG performance, not just to get into a medical school rather to high ranked medical school of their likes, in other words iron ore is already gone through heating process.

I see this way, try first to get into BSMD if you didn’t make it then our option is Traditional way very simple.

yes, nothing right/wrong in that thought process, it always boils down to one’s individual perspective. Some prefer bird in hand, some don’t prefer a bird w/o wings.

Is it ok to call admissions office at medical school to check on status of application which has been forwarded from feeder school?

and some don’t prefer to wait for another bird from same family but with slightly brighter feathers though having same functionality (compensation) ? they nurture the bird in hand to grow ostentatious feathers ?

Ok fine

A non-binding BS/MD school has confidence in their education as well as finding other equal or better students in case BS/MD student decide to give up slot. Ranking/reputation is one of contributing factor in that confidence.
Vs.
Binding BS/MD programs pretends the reason to fill that slot in case a student let go slot, are not confident enough in finding equally qualified students in traditional route, yet highly qualified traditional candidates hog the pipeline.

@ppofbng
Have you or your C applied to BS/MD programs in this application cycle ? No posts about getting any interviews in this thread. If you have an invitation to WUSTL BS/MD program, please go to the interview. If you can get into WUSTL’s BS/MD and willing to pay for, please take it. You can get a 3.8 GPA and get a MCAT 519, if you are willing to put the efforts required to achieve it.
It will be much harder later as a traditional MD student to get into WUSTL.

It depends on the lists of medical schools chosen too. There is data available on AAMC site to predict the probability of getting into a medical school given one’s GPA and MCAT score.

Wrong info. Yes, every year more and more students are taking gap years but it’s not mandatory.