***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

May be they hired a bad consultant :wink: Yes, one needs to choose schools wisely when applying. However unlike BSMD programs there is so much data available to come up with a list.

@srk2017

Yes, they probably hired a bad consultant. :wink:
They were NOT my counselees! :smiley:

Anyways I will choose BSMD first then the traditional route. Peace of mind!!

General questions for the experts here
 C might be staring at this path if has no offer at the end of this BSMD journey.
When looking for a list to apply traditionally, what should be considered besides min required MCAT/GPA, mean MCAT/GPA, and match list? For high stats applicants, how do they not price themselves out of getting an interview invite? (med schools pegging you for someone who aims higher and would turn down their offers-> not extending interviews to protect their yields) There are UG that are doing this too, but demostrating interest to these UG would protect the high-stats applicants. Do med schools even care if applicants demonstrate interest?

My understanding is in general less than 30/40? get admission to traditional MD in their first attempt. So I guess, we need to look at UG with Pre Med track, has an medical school within the university, get an MCAT >70-80 percentile, show interest in MD via ECs.
There is also the DO option.

What was the Good College and what was the Good MCAT score? Only 5% go thru BSMD, 95% through traditional route.
BSMD admission is like ivy, <5% while for MD the first time around 30/40.

I could be wrong but someone not getting in thru traditional route would have an extremely difficult time getting in and than making it thru BSMD, even the 8 year option

Without Stats at min and other details difficult to suggest a viable path for this person.

Is anyone on the same track as me, already in Northwestern ED, trying to get into HPME? Have you gotten an interview yet?

that number is in upward of 80%+ for top UGs, as first attempt may be done after 1-2 gap years as well, those stats are skewed as most UGs don’t provide number for 1st attempt w/o gap years.

I agree most of the T20 undergrads have above 75 percent acceptance to medical schools.

Harvard claims 93 percent acceptance How do they come up with this number also how many of those go to T20 medical schoolS I assume may be 40 percent

Would you go to Harvard or BS MD at WASHU or NU ?

Depends on the kid :smile:

Hello-

Parent of a rising sophomore. Is there any logic to which AP class to start with sophomore year? My DS is currently in Honors Bio and wants to try Honors Chem + AP Bio next year as a sophomore but we think that is too much as Honors Chem is v rigorous at our school. Any thoughts on how waiting till junior year for AP Bio and senior year for AP Chem will look and / or hurt BSMD chances? I know subject SAT for Chemistry would not work and that would rule out 2-3 BSMD schools

Was having our DS consider Honors Chem with AP Micro / Macro and AP Psy
really seems interested in AP Psychology for sophomore year.

Just wondering how the AP class progression looks on the transcript for BSMD - thx all.

@SoccerRules

You don’t need to finish AP Chem for taking subject sat. Honors is more than sufficient.

It is better to have 3 APs in BCPM subjects completed by junior year before applying for BS/MD. Psych can wait till senior year. And the scores on AP exams matter. Also keep in mind, very few manage to get a 5 on AP Bio. So plan accordingly.

If Honors Chem in the school is very rigorous, explore if there is a possibility of going to AP Chem directly instead, perhaps by taking a summer course somewhere.

Don’t rule out SAT Chem after Honors Chem next year. C took Sat Chem after preAP Chem and got a 780. Your son could easily take SAT Bio and SAT Chem next year score quite high since materials are still fresh.

Hi all, I am a parent of a junior. DD is going to start applying for BS-BA/MD programs this August 2020. I have been following here since 12 months. Just wanted to say hello and thank you for preparing DD as per the info here. she has around 400 hours of volunteering, 2 summerS research in neuroscience, 800 Math 2, 760 on Sat bio. And 4.2 GPA at a very high rigor school. 5s on AP Bio, AP Comp, AP Comp Principles.
DDs first attempt in ACT is 34. With everything else, Will this score be good enough or should she appear for another test?
Her choices of colleges are UPitt, Case, NW, URoch, GW, VCU and TCNJ. Thanks so much.

Have her take another shot at ACT. If she is serious about NU, she needs to attempt SAT too and not submit ACT. Wish she had another couple of APs in core BCPM subjects.

She hasn’t taken this year’s AP exams though.

@rk2017 - will suggest her do SAT as well. So NU prefers SAT over ACT? Any other colleges prefer SAT over ACT?
She is doing AP Chem, AP Calc AB, AP psychology, AP Spanish, Physics Honors this year. Plans to take SAT chem and AP Chem in June. Thank you.
Also can you guys suggest when is. Good time to take CASPER?

CASPer is offered a few times a year. Take it when she doesn’t feel stressed coming and going to her busy activities. Just in case internet goes down (Murphy’s Law), try to give her time to squeeze in a makeup session.

CASPer reports should be ready for the earliest deadline that requires CASPer.