***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Medicine is long journey and we do not want these high school kids to burn out early in the game .

On this forum as a parent how we can reduce their burnout ?? any suggestions

This is the very reason why I did not push it when my C did not want to pursue Pitt Med Guarantee because of the 3.75 GPA requirement. In my opinion, based on his ability and tenacity, he can do it, but I also want him to be able to enjoy his young adulthood and have time to explore research (we did not have the connection to healthcare to have landed this while heā€™s in HS; he wound up exploring research through his IB extendend essay in Biology). He enjoys shadowing doctors in the departments where he volunteered at various hospitals. He enjoys volunteering with kids. I suspect that heā€™ll find his passion in the next few years and would not be surprised if itā€™s something related to pediatric.If primary care pediatric is where heā€™ll land, Iā€™d be OK with it. Otherwise, heā€™ll be doing fellowship. This is why he applies to BSMD: no gap year and be done with school faster.

There is always these generalizations. As an e.g., the going thought that is you need all ur financial papers upto and including the kitchen sink to get US Visa. I too sent those to my parents, who wrongly thought about Indian tax situation and didnā€™t submit any of the papers but were given the Visa, goes to show that, just because

@ā€œMNBA/MDā€ When did u receive the email for the interview and when is the interview scheduled?

first and foremost, embrace them in whatever the outcome is at end of admission process. Support your child decision (my both kids went against my choice, ouch). One admission success/failure is not going to define who they are and will be as human beings. Some kids feels more homesickness than others, pick UG accordingly. During UG take one step at a time, donā€™t try to be perfectionist to the extent that causes burn out. After all they are kids and next few years are going to be crucial for their overall development that warrants a moral support. Donā€™t try to be a helicopter parent for mistakes here and there, mistake/missteps are inevitable in this long journey.

@PPofEngrDr

Yes I agree set the stage for kids and step back. During course they will figure out. I feel parents of ORMā€™s which includes me try push them hard.

We arenā€™t done learning yet. :smile:

@mi2019 @PPofEngrDr

Parents know their kids and need to support appropriately and also know when to back off. There is no one answer but it is important for the child to know their parents have their back.

One biggest thing a parent can do is NOT let any ā€œfailuresā€ get to the child, starting with the BS/MD process. For a lot of these highly talented kids, BS/MD process may be the first really competitive ā€œfailureā€ they may encounter and they should not let that get to the child.

Secondly, for prestige obsessed parents, it is important to learn and make kids learn how limited it may actually matter - choose a college where the kid is comfortable and can excel vs going after rank X school.

Thirdly, taking a gap year while pursuing a traditional route is OK. Donā€™t read too much into that.

Fourthly, while there are several advantages of having kid nearby but if possible, send the kid to a different city. That way they will grow and mature more independently.
They will also learn to live by their decisions.

Lastly but not the least, keep talking to the kids - that way they will share their problems.

Canā€™t agree more. Itā€™s a thin line between challenging your kids and pushing them too hard. It takes a genius to figure out when to push them and when to hang back :smile: I guess we are a lot more relaxed with younger onesā€¦

@talk
@NoviceDad is correct - no CASPER for REMS.

All
Rochester REMS interview insight anyone?

Donā€™t feed them burnout stories and force them into BSMD programs :wink:

Any more invites or any rejections from NU-HPME?

Professional burnout stories are real and are well documented among the health professionals. Whether itā€™s BSMD or traditional, burnout is real. I feel burned out just seeing successful candidatesā€™s stats, the ones who got interviewed at 6-12 programs and come from top 50 HS. Have they found a way to have more than 24 hours a day? Do they not have down time? If HS is that competitive and they go on to competive UG or regular UG but do everything else to stay competitive to apply to med school successfully., burnout can happen to them even before practiing medicine.

[quote=ā€œmi2019, post:3804, topic:2054445ā€]

Medicine is long journey and we do not want these high school kids to burn out early in the game .

On this forum as a parent how we can reduce their burnout ?? any suggestions

Burn out is in every profession , as long as kids are passionate about doing medicine they will be fine doing any pathway acccelerated or traditional . If pushed by parents or doing it for the money they will get frustrated as medicine is a tough careeer all life long.

MD mom

Yes, having open line of communications is very important and donā€™t be too critical. Lot of ORM parents think gap year is a big letdown, but thatā€™s becoming more common practice. As I said before donā€™t think as lost revenue and calculate compound interest. This generation will probably work till 75.

Is UConn SPIM done with interviews? I did not get an invitation, but I also did not get a rejection. I just wanna know if thereā€™s a chance that they are still evaluating for the program.

As I said before if you canā€™t get 3.75 GPA at Pitt then you wonā€™t survive in traditional path. You donā€™t need connections to explore research in college. All it takes is approach properly and you will find plenty of papers. In HS also my S didnā€™t use connections to find research.

Any more invites or any rejections from NU-HPME?

I agree that getting a 3.75 GPA should not be difficult for a talented student who got into the BS/MD program at Univ of Pittsburgh. Every university has office dedicated to research functions. Any one can find about research done by various professors and contact them for available opportunities. Professors love free labor of undergraduate students. There may be paid opportunities available to do research during summer. It all depends upon individual initiative. My D has done paid research during summers.

Do not be afraid of MCAT while making a list of BS/MD programs to apply next year. This should be very easily achieved if one has taken all the pre-requisites courses in college and given ample time to prepare and practice. MCAT is also an endurance test that lasts more than 7 hours. This will a good practice for the USLME Step tests 1,2,3 and other professional certification tests taken during a long medical career. The tests never end.
FYI, average MCAT is around 512 for a MD matriculant. The maximum is 528 and median is around 500.

[quote=ā€œgrtd2010, post:3821, topic:2054445ā€]

[quote=ā€œsrk2017, post:3819, topic:2054445ā€]

Oh well, he toured Pitt and did ask the prehealth professor he met with. The answer was that itā€™s hard to maintain a 3.75 science GPA at Pitt. It has a top-tier med school; it would make sense that they pound premed science on their premed. I read a few articles about their own premeds got weeded out through the lecture-hall science courses. Itā€™s also fair that the 3.75 requirement is replacing an MCAT requirement. He also cited another reason heā€™s not that excited about Pitt: it just didnā€™t seem diversed enough for him. Itā€™s my C application, not mine. I didnā€™t want to insist. But I did suggest him to apply to the PA Guarantee program there as his backup plan since the scholarship he got makes it inline with our state flagship cost. We also have a great non-BSMD UG that weā€™re happy with. So. by April, we may have 1-3 BSMD results to consider and a great UG alternate, plus a direct-admit PA program if he got Pittā€™s offer. C just wants to work in derm. Canā€™t wait til April!