***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Did anyone have their NJMS interview yet? Would they be willing to share what their interview was like?

@srk2017

Interesting ā€¦ except for 3 univ on your list - UNC, Baylor and Emory, all others feature in the Top 20 list of USNWR (med school - research) rankings.

USNWR has Mt.Sinai in its Top 20.

Also, the Top 5 colleges are the same in both rankings (though the order is different).

There are some interesting profiles of admitted students(regular MD) on "red " site under officialthreadacceptedprofiles20182019. The GPA and MCAT scores are all over the place.

Yes, rankings vary only little with different publications but we keep hearing hatred for USNWR here and also on the other site :smile:

UNSWR have separate rankings for research and primary care. UNC is ranked #1 or #2 for primary care by USNWR.

@grtd2010 C emailed NJMS with NJIT being CC-ed but heard nothing from either one. Perhaps we should take that

MD Admitted student data didnā€™t seem too overwhelming. There were plenty who have under 3.75 GPA. Quite a few got below 3.5 GPA. A lot got below 510 MCAT. Most got multiple offers.

A few things I noticed:

• Most apply to more than 20 schools
  • Most got multiple acceptances (even the ones with low-stat applicants)
  • Most have quit a bit of EC, whether it be volunteer time or paid clinical
  • A few high-stat applicants got secondaries from all schools but only a few interview invites and a single acceptance
  • ED applicants enjoya good chance of acceptance, despite their stats in some cases

My interpretation of these pieces of data is that the list of schools one applies to is very important. I suspect that those individuals with high stats but only got a single acceptance aimed high and did not apply to fair number of safety schools. Apply ED if you can, if you have the stats to support it.

High Stats students may suffer from yield protection and may not get invited for an interview by so-called safety schools. Some State schools have IS preference so it is a critical factor too. A lot of low stat students apply to 30+ schools and may even get multiple offers. There are a lot of no gap years applicants but 1-2 gap years to build ECs is common now a days.

I am not following all these, but make sure you are not following the total med applicant pool, which includes both MD and DO candidates. Remember some time ago someone posting similar stats and upon deeper look majority of those with stats similar to those above went for DO schools. Not necessarily bad, but just to be aware of.

My daughter want to apply for BS/MD programs in 2020. Currently she is Junior at high school. Her Green Card ( permanent resident card) is in process. It might take more than a year to come in hand. Can she still apply in BS/MD programs in fall on 2020?

She must be a permanent resident by the time she applies i.e. she must have a temporary/permanent green card ( 10 year validity) issued. Please consult a immigration lawyer.

Also certain schools like Michigan State and Vermont, though good ones, are prohibitively expensive to OOS candidates. So that may deflate their stats since most attending there are in state.

Hello, does anybody know the status of the OU MHSP interviews/rejections?

Agree on this. smaller state schools that donā€™t take OOS candidates will have lower stats. Also, need to think about URMs, special situations like athletes and veterans.

She can apply with an international student visa to any University for an UG degree. She can pursue all the requirements for a medical school with any major.

These are people reporting both MD and DO results on Reddit for the 2018-2019 cycle. MD and DO are reported separately. Itā€™s just a sample of the applicant pool. I donā€™t know how representattive of the applicant pool this data set is. If it is, then, itā€™s not as bad as everyone says about getting admitted to an allopathic program. Iā€™m sure itā€™s still competitive but not to the degree that if you donā€™t get above 3.75 GPA and not having at least a 510 MCAT, thereā€™s only little hope for you. Since they didnā€™t disclose where their acceptances were, I could not decode how their stats and EC mattered to the T10-T50 schools.

You should call specific programs to verify the requirements for BS/MD and do not depend on any information given here. There is no warranty or guarantee of any kind regarding information provided. We are not immigration lawyers and do not know specifics of green card processing for different categories.
For example, One can get a temporary green card by marrying a US citizen. Do not how long it takes to process this category of green card compared to an employment based category green card. Please consult a qualified immigration lawyer.

Congrats. Do u have an interview? When is it and when did u hear from them?

Most require US Citizenship, u need to call and check, there are a few that allow.

I think that comes up only later in March.

@YA2021

A few considerations assuming she does NOT age out of the GreenCard (GC) process and is protected by the Child Status Protection Act (CSPA) at the time of application or start of college:

• students on H4 or other dependent visa are considered international students.
  • Very few, if any, BS/MD programs are open to international students.
  • In the past some folks have applied to BS/MD programs under the assumption that the GC would be processed by the time of start of college. However, many BS/MD have learnt from that process and have become smart. They now ask to submit a copy of GC to confirm the status.
  • Even for regular undergrad, international students do NOT qualify for in-state fees at state or public universities.
  • Do NOT attempt "short-term" "quick-fix" solutions just to apply to BS/MD programs. She can become a doctor through the regular traditional path.