***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@srk2017

Re: Rankings

In full disclosure, for medical schools, I would also look at the residency matches. (Last year, we have had a huge number of posts on the same).

If the organization doing rankings share their raw data and methodology, that raw data is useful is making your own view of the relative importance of those factors to you.

I would say take all data from different sources, including match and ranking data, add your own data points, goals, and feel based on visits and other interactions and come up with your own list and use that list to apply to colleges.

@OmGV2020

Yeah, I have an interview at NJMS in March. I received it early in Feb, but I think NJMS sends out decisions until the end of Feb.

If anyone has had their interview yet, please share what the experience is like.

@grtd2010 - Thank you for reply. I looked on the admission requirement for certain BS/MD programs. Few college-websites have not provided clear information. As you suggested, I will connect with their admission office and clarify on this.

@NoviveDad.
Thank you for your suggestion. In this situation, regular path MD seems only option. Please suggest if she does her undergrad studies in Canada ( she is Canadian citizen), would it hurt her chances to get admission in USA Medical colleges through regular path ( by this time, she would be USA Permanent resident)?

Even though Reddit might give some insight into some individuals medical school admissions data, I still think that we cannot ignore the “hard” data from AAMC, namely MCAT/GPA grid.

These are factual information from: Table A-23: MCAT and GPA Grid for Applicants and Acceptees to U.S. Medical Schools,2017-2018 through 2019-2020 (aggregated)

With GPA>3.79 and MCAT >517, one’s chance of getting into a MD school was 87.8%.
With GPA (3.6-3.79) and MCAT (510-513), the chance of acceptance was 64.6%.
With GPA (3.4-3.59) and MCAT (506-509), the chance of acceptance was 37.2%.

My advise is to choose a school, where you will be a major factor in any aspect of student life such as arts, sports, research, politics and so on… which means you should attend a school that would allow you to excel both in classroom and outside of classroom. Usually, they will also reward you with a hefty merit award as well.

@helix8 congratulations! What’s your feeder school for NJMS interview?

Reviewing the reqs for Boston SMED, looks like my son will be required to have Calc for admissions. However he is solely dual enrollment- taking Trig this semester, PreCal in fall, and won’t be eligible for Calc until Spr 2021. Will this be an issue?

Agree you need to use various data sources and come up with your own ranks. That’s reason i check various sources.

@skatergirl2001

http://www.ou.edu/honors/specialprograms/MedHumanitiesScholarship/admissionsprocess

Interviews will be held on March 23rd and March 27th, 2020. ​There will be no exceptions to these dates

Normally with in a few days they announce the admission, mostly by 30th.
March 1st week interview invitations will go out.

@ya2021
I know some programs will take green card holders/internationals but they have to have citizenship or a green card before medical school starts. I can’t remember which ones exactly (I think there are only a few if I remember correctly that will take internationals/people other than US citizens).

@YA2021

If you are sure about getting GC before she will start her MD, better it do UG in USA schools.

Search in ‘pre-med’ forums ‘canadian’ or ‘international’

US medical schools rarely accept international applicants.
https://students-residents.aamc.org/applying-medical-school/article/applying-international-applicant/

@YA2021

I have limited knowledge about the process or requirements for international graduates applying to US medical schools.
Sorry, cannot help you there.

How is university of Rochesters REMS prog? Any thoughts will be appreciated.
(My S has acceptance from Penn State / Jefferson so that point of view)

@YA2021 You should check the requirement for each individual program. Per information posted on their website (1) George Washington University 7-year BA/MD, Canadian citizen is allowed to apply; (2) TCNJ-NJMS 7-year BS/MD, you need to obtain your permanent residence status prior to entering NJMS (not when you start at TCNJ).

I also missed mentioning that as far as I remember those who got it had their interview to early to mid March, so don’t think anybody would have completed it this year. Could check last years thread.

UIC GPPA results are out

I assume you are accepted, congratulations @proudgirl.

Yes This was our top priority.
Thank you so much @PPofEngrDr

Northwestern HPME interview tips??

Would love to know more for Michigan. Can you PM me please?