***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Any update on Stony Brook interview invites?

@SpeedSkater Thnx for the update. Presume u recwived this email today?

My son to that e-mail today too.

Did 436 applicants got that e-mail? lol

@srk2017
What do you think of the WARS (sdn wars calculator search) ?
Your son is surely in Level “S”.

Schools are grouped into 7 broad categories by basis of selectivity. The categories are as follows:

Category 1 (TOP): Harvard, Stanford, Hopkins, UCSF, Penn, WashU, Yale, Columbia, Duke, Chicago

Category 2 (HIGH): Michigan, UCLA, NYU, Vanderbilt, Pitt, UCSD, Cornell, Northwestern, Mt Sinai, Baylor*, Mayo, Case Western, Emory

Category 3 (MID): UTSW, UVA, Ohio State, USC-Keck, Rochester, Dartmouth, Einstein, Hofstra, UNC

Category 4 (LOW): USF-Morsani, Wayne State, Creighton, Oakland, SLU, Cincinnati, Indiana, Miami, Iowa, MC Wisconsin, Toledo, SUNY Downstate, Stony Brook, VCU, Western MI, EVMS, Vermont, WVU, Wisconsin, Quinnipiac, Wake Forest, Maryland

Category 5 (STATE): Your state schools if they do not appear elsewhere on this list - You should always apply to all of these if applying MD

Category 6 (LOW YIELD): Jefferson, Tulane, Tufts, Georgetown, Brown, BU, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, Drexel, Commonwealth, Temple, GWU, NYMC, Penn State, Albany, Rush

Category 7 (DO): DO Schools

This wars score is then translated to one of 6 categories that applicants are grouped into, which are designated Levels S, A, B, C, D, E in decreasing score order. The score thresholds are as follows:
Level S: 85 → Apply in only Category 1, 2 and a few 3 and your state schools.
Level A: 80
Level B: 75
Level C: 68
Level D: 60
Level E: 0

Yup, an hour ago.

Ugh. Kiddo got his ACT back and his composite is the exact damn same! I swear only my kid. He went up 1 pt in one category and down 1 point in another. So we are still at a 33. Is it worth trying for a 3rd time? Will that look bad?

Or maybe wait for the separate section testing in September?

He hasn’t tried the SAT but is really pushing prep for his subject tests so not sure he can add a date until August :frowning:

I think two attempts are enough. Do you really think he can score 36 in ACT ? if so, it may be worth it.

I answered in the other thread. I did check this calculator. One surprise is lot of BSMD are in category 6. May be author was rejected by these programs for BSMD. :wink:

@grtd2010

His scores are a little wonky. His math is still just a 29 which is a little illogical to me. This kid has had As in Math all his life, took College Algebra last semester and earned an A, and is in dual enrollment Trig this semester with an A.

So I would like to think he could come up a little more in Math. Maybe?

No, I dont think they sent it to everyone. my son never received any communication from Hofstra regarding his 4+4 application.

@srk2017 And @grtd2010

On the SARS category 1 list surprise to see Yale and Chicago medical schools which are not T10 schools

Above comment was in reference to Sdn calculator and associated categories

Do we know if these are based on actual selection numbers related to Avg MCAT and GPA only without any EC’s

No email from Northwestern HPME yet. I wish they published a date on which they would give the result whether you are moving ahead with the interview or not. Like Case Western does.

Does this mean Hofstra sent the email only to the waitlisted candidates?

Based on the language of the email and the fact that not everyone got it, it makes sense that it was sent to the WL candidates. To be honest, since it involves travel, I would rather not get an invite at the last minute. Good luck to those who got WL and don’t mind paying big bucks for last-minute airfares! Hope you’ll get invited and fare well. The odds are good. Almost 1 out of 3 get selected.

They will start final review in about 2 weeks and immediately after that will start sending letters - Accept, Waitlist etc. So guess first offers will go out around March 10th.

My son got that email today too. Sad.

@mom2boys1999 You’re right, that really doesn’t make sense. I think it might be worth just getting a book for the ACT Math section. Standardized testing is more about knowing how to take the test at a certain point.

@Nvidia20
Is this the same if you interviewed with Union/AMC in the beginning of February?