***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Here is official SLU response from 2 years back.
Roughly 120 students enroll in the Medical Scholars program each year.
About 50% of those students leave the program by the time the interviews roll around sophomore year. The majority of the students that leave the program leave because they are no longer interested in being doctors. They don’t have the breakdown between not meeting grade vs. losing interest.
Typically 89% of the remaining students are offered spots in the SOM.

A 50% student (~60) turnover in two years is alarming . What was the reason to join the program at the first place if not interested in being a doctor ? Probably weeded out in pre-med classes.

I would also agree here that UF is a better choice. It is a good school and UF hospital is in the same campus (Gainesville, FL) for medical ECs.

Just to make aware that Norman and Oklahoma city are approximately 30 miles apart and one will probably need a car for reliable transportation during the stay at Norman.

Temple LKSOM requires CASPer be taken before an interview for BS/MD linkage students. They will give you specific dates when you should take it. It is also required for regular MD.

It includes a committee interview, information session, a campus tour and informal chat with current students in the program during lunch.

@suku1zar, @PPofEngrDr, & @grtd2010,
Thank you.

Did anyone got email to decide TCNJ #1 choice for 7 year med program. If you say is your first choice does it mean is binding and have to attend or is non binding.

My D was accepted into the Burnett Medical scholars program last week and will be visiting on BMS Day. However, is the BMS program a guaranteed BS/MD program given she meets the requirements (3.8 GPA and 514 MCAT)? It does not have an interview until the third year so would this interview be heavily weighted?
Her other option is UF for pre-med.
A 514 on the MCAT is a high requirement for a BS/MD program. I would appreciate any information regarding this program (someone who was accepted, attending, or has attended).

By definition, if one has to go through an interview, it is NOT a guaranteed program.
If you want a sure answer, call them at 407.823.2076. Talk to some current students on BMS day.
A MCAT 514 and UG GPA 3.8 would be a good combination for regular MD.

@ubsmd2020
Yes, we got that email. I think I saw others received that email as well. Nothing binding about it. Not sure what the purpose was, we filled it out and sent it.

Have you received any email like that?
Some programs/colleges require that of NMF finalists for their financial award decisions (BU, USC, U Chicago). But it won’t be binding in any way.

@Phil G @ubsmd2020 @rk2017

I did not receive an email to decide TCNJ as the #1 choice for medical program, but I received an email inviting me to a Biology open house to see the facilities at TCNJ. Did anyone else receive this email?

Does getting an email asking you to declare TCNJ as first choice mean you have a better chance of entering the program? What did the email say exactly?

We also did not receive email that advise to choose TCNJ as first choice. But we did receive email about open house. We also have same concerns. What necessary that mean?

Any idea when to expect VCU results ?

Same. We haven’t received TCNJ as first choice email. Just the Biology open house.
I don’t think it means anything towards a better chance since the ball is in NJMS court right now.

@helix8 @bsmdmom @kush22 I think may be the ones who got email from TCNJ are already invited for interview with NJMS and wants to know if this is their first choice as already have interview coming up with NJMS.

That can’t be bcos we already have an interview coming up shortly with NJMS through TCNJ and NJIT.

Thank you, it was just guess since some of them did not received the email through TCNJ. Did anyone received and email for to pick #1 TCNJ if they have not invited to interview with NJMS, just curious to know how come they send to some and not others.

Any tips for NJMS interview if anyone had it yet.