***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Did SLU send the results for Honors, Med Scholar and Pres Scholars ?

Did anyone receive an email from Rowan today? D got a rejection from the program.

TCNJ or NJIT have no influence or say on whom NJMS admission committee selects. This letter has no impact on one’s chances. TCNJ may be just doing a internal survey for its own use in future.

FYI, NMFs put their first choice of college on National Merit Scholarship’s website. Individual colleges would download that information from the website periodically. D put down a California University as first choice but did not join that program. Nothing is binding for NMFs either.

Has anyone heard back from VCU yet??

@orm2020

Congratulations and thanks for posting your stats and reflections in the results thread. Good luck with any pending interview(s) and your future BS/MD journey wherever you may choose to join.

You may have already realized but feel the subject sat scores were the undoing in your case for couple of programs that require them. Usually ORMs need 800s in both the subject tests to have some shot at those programs.

@GoldenRock - Thanks for your prompt response. I just wanted to get some pointers on MHSP interview. How to prep, what to focus on and more importantly what not to do. This is the only opportunity she has got for interview so just trying to gather as much infso how do you recommend to prep for it.
Thanks so much in advance,

VCU decision for interviews got out a while back. D didn’t make it

Stonybrook says mid march

@kkthepinkrose It has been a while they sent the letter . D didn’t make it to the interview

@orm2022

Thanks for the post in the Results thread.
Congrats and all the very best!

You nailed it - essays are key.
Among equally qualified students, essays are a way to tell your story and stand out.

Take care

@machonacho

Nothing special to say, except let her be herself and be prepared to talk about whatever she has stated in her app/essay and the EC she was involved.
It is always good to be fresh on the day of the interview and reach previous day if possible. It is not intimidating.

My D did not go thru any paid coaching or interview prep of that sort.

@GoldenRock Thank you. We are not planning for any formal /paid coaching either.

Hey guys! sorry about the confusion, i was asking for the final results for VCU! thanks for the replies though!

My s cancelled Hofstra interview, one more spot should be open for someone!

Had a message on phone from VCU " Congratulations you are Accepted to VCU" My S has been accepted to VCU undergrad long time back. Now I am little confused.

@Bunny75

Congratulations on UCF BMS. My daughter went through UCF BMS, now starting med school phase.

It is great for me. OK for her.

Great for me because it was no cost last four years. Great for me because I have a secure sense of her career path, and not have to pull my hairs out fretting like many of other premed parents.

OK for her. The major obstacles of those BSMD attrition rate is kids not committed to this medicine business.

@Bunny75

Congratulations on UCF BMS. My daughter went through UCF BMS, now starting med school phase.

It is great for me. OK for her.

Great for me because it was no cost last four years. Great for me because I have a secure sense of her career path, and not have to pull my hairs out fretting like many of other premed parents.

OK for her. The major obstacles of those BSMD attrition rate is kids not committed to this medicine business. At the beginning, 100% of parents are sure about this BSMD business. But way LESS than that number of students are sure about this medicine business. Especially those high achievers are going to a so-so name college, while their peer are going to big name colleges.

Third year interview is just formality. On 10/15 senior year, the students will get notification of acceptance. They can accept, take a GAP year, or apply elsewhere.

Last year BMS students have average 3.9+, MCAT 517, so applying elsewhere is no problem.

But make sure your kids really want this BSMD business, though.

Hi @SteyrFWB2 and @Bunny75

My DC is also accepted to UCF BS/MD. We have a few questions:

• Website says students must pass an interview at the College of Medicine in early fall (August/September) of the 3rd year. At the end of Spring semester of the 2nd year, students must provide 2 faculty evaluations.
  • How difficult/filtering is the interview? Is it a mere formality or do they tend to reject most of the candidates in the program?
  • How easy is it to get faculty evaluations? Are they a mere formality or do they tend to give hard time to most of the candidates in the program?
  • Does the program have pre-arranged programs for research, shadowing, medical volunteering, regular community volunteering? It looks like UG school is about 20 miles from Medical school. How do the students travel if they have to do these activities at the med school. Are there any opportunities near UG school?
  • What is the class size for common courses such as general chemistry, organic chemistry, calculus, etc in the honors college? In regular college? Are Burnett scholars always in honors classes?
  • How is the grading across the undergraduate courses in the school? Is it considered as grade inflation school or grade deflation school? Do all the professors grade using a bell curve (example: only 20% get A, 60% get B, and 20% get C)? Do only some professors grade using bell curve? None of the professors use bell curve?

I apologize for the long post. My DC got seats in both UCF and USF and we are evaluating both the programs as OOS. Thank you very much for your feedback in advance.

NU HPME question - anyone here got accepted in NU before getting an invitation to HPME interview?