***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@talk
Thank you! My S just got an invitation to Hofstra yesterday, so now you know you helped someone else. He was so excited. It is very appreciated when people withdrawal from schools they no longer have an interest in. So thanks again!

@Phil G … You are welcome and good luck to you S for the interview.

how many kids enroll in UCF BMS? thanks!

SLU are started calling my D got into the Honors program

Mails sent on Monday

@suku1zar,
Congrats!
I thought they sent out letter on Monday…

The student can call the SLU office and they can give you if they made it or not

Yes Mails are also sent on Monday

NU HPME question - anyone here got accepted in NU before getting an invitation to HPME interview?

@BSMD2020Tired

Between UCF and USF, I would take UCF to have some breathing room.

USF is a 7 year program. 3+4. You HAVE to take MCAT the summer after your sophomore year. You have to score up to USF average, which is 516. That is tough. Score 516 after two years of college, that is brutal. Not many mortals can do that.

UCF is a bigger college. Well, let me take it back. It IS the LARGEST college in US. More activities going on campus. More fun perhaps.

Academically, it is manageable. Honors college requires a honors research thesis. It is not hard to find a professor to work with. UCF Medical School also has a research thesis. Your undergrad thesis, if chosen proper, could extend into medical school research requirement. So if you choose your professor carefully, some of those medically related research could turn into long term contact with college professor, so they like that. Plenty of research opportunity and shadow opportunity.

2 faculty evaluations for BMS is nothing. Regular UCF medical school application requires 5 evaluations.

Interview is really just a formality.

Grades are reasonable. It certainly is not a grade deflation school.

How many BMS students? That is quite nebulous. It is a flexible program. Initial number is probably 30-45. But number fluctuate after that. Students come in and out, take a year off, travel abroad, work in lab without taking classes to convert from OOS to Florida residency (If you are OOS, you want to do that. That would save you $100,000 over four years of medical school), use the time to study for MCAT. So the number is quite nebulous and floating.

But it is not hard to stay in the program. If you are in trouble, you know what to do. Don’t be afraid to take a year off. They are very willing to help you out. You just take your time to sort things out.

MCAT cut off is 514. If you want to apply out, you should limit the number you take the MCAT to a minimal. But if you are going to stay at UCF, you can take it as many times as you want, just make sure 514 is in by September of your senior year.

Also let me emphasize this. If you are OOS, UCF is going to be the cheapest option for becoming a physician.

UCF will attract excellent OOS student in the tune of OOS tuition waiver, scholarship to cover room and board. So college is pretty much free.

Now, if you take your options to convert into a Florida resident (work, while not taking any classes, for 12 months), you can save a bundle in medical school. With annual medical school tuition of $28k, UCF is the cheapest in the nation.

https://www.wikihow.com/Become-a-Florida-Resident

Trying to compare Siena/AMC v. Feeder/SUNY Upstate BS-BA/MD. Does anyone have any opinion on which would be a better option? Siena/AMC has been around a while but is costly and you must get a BA in Biology and minor in liberal arts, compared to instate Feeder/SUNY Upstate option which is cheaper and you can major in anything with no minor. Does anyone have an opinion on which to pursue or are they pretty comparable except for cost? Thanks for any input.

@Kc2002,
Just my own research, Siena is more catholic school, not a good undergrad experience. SUNY Upstate is better medical school than Albany. But, SUNY Upstate feeder schools, not all schools are good. If you are in SUNY at Albany, that is a great school. Good luck!

Hi,
Does anyone has any input? My son is debating between:
Nova South Eastern - 7 year DO
Syracuse with LECOM - 8 year DO
Brooklyn College - 8 year BA / MD

We are in the New England area, any insights will be appreciated.

Thank you for the insight! I really appreciate it. If you don’t mind me asking, when did she take the MCAT and is a 3.8 GPA difficult to maintain in the Honors Program (given the student is dedicated)?

@futuremedico did you hear back from Brooklyn College after the invites for a final decision? We are still waiting for a final decision from them.

Ok thank you! I will inform my D about this :slight_smile:

Ok thank you! I will inform my D about this :slight_smile:

@SteyrFWB2

Generally the MCAT requirements of most of these programs (including the notorious WashU’s) are lower compared to their traditional route accepted applicants. 516 may be for traditional route. If I remember correctly, it was 514 for the BS/MD folks (better double check). Though 514 is somewhat on the higher end, think should be quite manageable even after 2nd year for these smart kids (am aware of a bunch of kids in another accelerated program scoring in the 520s range after 2nd year, with casual preparations, and way above their program requirement).

Sure one can choose one program over the other for any number of reasons but feel MCAT score or even lack of that requirement can be taken out of the equations.

So if lucky enough to have multiple options worth visiting both and giving enough consideration to all aspects before choosing which one.