***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@helperdad

It is natural to be worried.
However, just look at at things within your control and things outside your control.

You CANNOT control what actions schools, organizations and government will take.
Best is to adapt to the fluid situation now.
Remember all JUNIORS are in the same boat and COVID19 related actions is going to impact them all. Your son is NOT at the RELATIVE disadvantage.

Now focus on things under your control - with schools closing, how best to make use of his time - is the question you should ask. Your son can prepare for all SAT subject tests as well as APs - that’s obvious. What else can he do? What strengths of his can be utilized in this unique period?

Dear All,

Does any one have the latest statistics for premed students accepted into Pitt Med School? May I have a copy of it?
I am very sorry for posting this question in the BAMD thread, but I don’t know where else to post. Thank you.

It is fine to post it here. Some of us cover both BS/MD and regular MD route.
Here is the info:
School Median GPA Median MCAT Acceptance Rate Total Applicants Total Interviewed Total Accepted Total Enrolled US news Rank
Harvard University 3.93 519 4% 6749 885 235 165 1
University of Pittsburgh 3.8 515 6% 6151 796 370 148 13

Are NJMS interviews still going on inperson?

For those who care for US news rankings for medical school are out for 2021. Not sharing link please google and post your thoughts. Below are my first glance observations In research rankings

Lot of colleges are ranked 6

still T 3 are the same

Michigan medicine went up by one

Duke medicine went up by one

Baylor not In T20 for research still I regard it as a T20 medical school for all purpose

Temple Health Scholars Program final decisions are out.

I am trying to take some on line College / AP classes. When I try to calculate the possible GPA after certain college level classes or AP classes the GPA starts dropping.
I am not understanding why the GPA drops after certain number of AP classes?

@babySimba1 Did you ask DaddySimba? Or ask your counselor in school?

Surely some mathematical operator error unless you are carrying C and D in the AP classes

Does anyone know as I heard Northwestern Decision for Undergrad is coming out this Friday. So if you get rejected does it mean that you also got rejected from the HPME program or they both are totally different as I heard and said HPME decision comes out in April.

Folks

FYI - Yesterday, Med seniors got to know if they MATCHED to a Residency.
Actual details come out this Friday.

Fortunately for these seniors, their interviews were over by Feb, before the #WuhanCoronaVirus shutdown.

congrats @MD2028 and others who got accepted at Temple.

@MD2028, Congratulations.

I presume your have to be accepted into NU UG for to be a successful HPME applicant.

I had it last week in person, but I heard someone in this post has it this week in person but not sure if was cancelled.

@ubsmd2020

Maybe @NoviceDad is best suited to comment here. My PURE guess is that they would offer admission to all 100 candidates that were interviewed if what you are saying is accurate - NW decisions this friday and HPME later. Does not hurt yield that much.

This year they received 5000 requests for apps, gave out 1000, got 800 back, offered 100 interviews. A current student shared this during lunch.

@babySimba1 - Are you a junior in High School?

Each High School publishes a Program of Studies Guide. This is usually accessible from your High school’s website. In this doc, you should find the weight assigned for AP and Honors courses by your school. You should calculate your GPA based on this. This is the only formula that should matter to you since every school is different. You should not use GPA calculators available online.
Your individual school may restrict the number of outside courses you can use for your high school GPA. This information is also provided in the Program of Studies guide or you can ask your guidance counsellor.
However, it is not necessary to include these outside courses in your high school transcript. You can mention these in your college application in numerous ways (common app application, resume). Some colleges will allow you to upload pdf files of your other achievements as well.

@MD2028 - Congratulations!

Hello all - I have been following this forum since last September. I found this forum to be extremely supportive. Thank you to various members who take time to respond to queries.
My DS is a high school senior who has applied to a number of BS-MD programs. He has/will interview in 4 programs. I plan to post his stats/results in a couple of weeks. Although the BS-MD application journey has been tedious/stressful for us, we have gained valuable experience.

All the best to all the HS seniors.

As I saw previous posts and comments from previous year and heard that even if you were invited to interview for HPME, they rejected admission to NU Undergrad also. So it does not gurantee admission to NU Undergrad if you can clear this @NoviceDad and if you get rejected for NU U are you automatically rejected for the HPME program.

How did your interview go ?

Thanks for giving heads up on NU UG decision coming out this Friday.