***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@BuckleUpBuckaRoo & @PathophysiologyFTW,
Congratulations for multiple offers.
When did you have your SUNY upstate interview? & in how many weeks did you hear the result. Also, what are your feeder schools?

Residency match list is a mere reflection of the choices/preferences of MD students after their clinical rotations not the choices of high school seniors. Any one from any medical school can get into any specialty if one works on it. If X got into Y residency at Z medical school, it should not mean any thing to you. Residency match list should have the least influence on oneā€™s decision to choose program X over Y.

@BuckleUpBuckaRoo and @PathophysiologyFTW ā€“ Congratulations on multiple offers

You didnā€™t say whether you are going for RPI/AMC or Union/AMC or Siena/AMC?

Some factors to consider:
Cost ā€“ Upstate is cheaper than AMC
Location ā€“ Upstate, due to proximity of 4 hospitals
Your gut feeling: This is important; visit atleast two of your top choice colleges and choose the one that seems to click
Weather: If you are from warmer locations, this may be a factor
Program: AMC is betterā€¦ RPI/AMC is good for research and Union/AMC provides opportunity to get MBA and Siena is for Science humanities and Medicine
Undergrad ranking: look at US news ranking

Since we are talking about 7-8 years and medical school is far away, your undergrad experience is quiet relevant and probably more appropriate for now!

Thanks for your advice everyone! @ghytu12 For SUNY Upstate, I interviewed on 2/10 and heard ~3 weeks later. I would prefer not to reveal my feeder school. @Vicky2019 I am doing the Union program.

Oh srry if thereā€™s any confusion, I didnā€™t apply to the AMC program, I only have the Upstate acceptance as of right now but Iā€™m speaking from my friendsā€™ experiences.

@BuckleUpBuckaRoo r u interested in joining our group chat for Upstate?

where is the results thread

Since some of the schools have already dropped ACT / SAT requirement and some schools are dropping it now (due to the impact from Corona) how is that going to effect BS/MD programs. If the undergrad programs drop ACT/SAT can the BS/MD programs still keep it as a criteria?

Google for ā€œBS MD 2020 resultsā€. There are around 2 results when I saw lastā€¦since most have not decided yet.

Hi, current student in the Union/AMC program. Just wanted to clear something up about the breaks:

Your summers after 1st, 2nd, and 4th year are available! Most students either take online MBA courses at that time, go abroad, and/or get clinical hours (but obviously not after 4th year).

We have a 6-week long winter break (from before Thanksgiving to after New Years), which students also use to get clinical hours and/or go abroad.

If you finish all your clinical hours early (within first and second year), your breaks junior and senior year can be free to do what you want (what I did).

My opinion on this has not changed. I feel BS/MD is competitive and colleges need to assess based on multiple criteria. Every criteria should be considered important since it is not transparent which one/s the colleges consider to be the most important.

On the other hand, this needs to be the decided by the college itself. So, when you apply to BS MD programs- take a look at the requirements of each program carefully.

For most of the BS/MD programs you have to be accepted to the undergrad program before getting into the BS/MD process / interview etc. So not sure how it will all work out

@nightriser1

Please share your stats and perspective on the RESULTS thread.

The link is here:
http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/multiple-degree-programs/2167174-bs-md-results-class-of-2020.html

Results thread:

http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/multiple-degree-programs/2167174-bs-md-results-class-of-2020.html#latest

Like above there are results thread for previous years.

Donā€™t post any questions in results thread. Posts should in the discussion thread of an year.

Based on anecdotal evidence, they can - I know of some programs this year where the ACT/SAT was optional for undergrad but was required for BS/MD.

With the extreme competition wrt BS/MD programs - it is always better to have more (rather than less) then the program requirements :wink:

@SteyrFWB2 Also, I notice you said that 10/15 seniors receive an acceptance from COM. Do you know why the other students might have been rejected?

In the ā€œBS-MD 2020 resultsā€ page, I read the discussion on ā€œwhether it is necessary to apply to 10-15 BS-MD programs while applying to ED BS-MD programsā€. I wanted to share my perspective on this topic. Since I was not sure what forum I should use, I decide on this one instead (simply because a few additional pages canā€™t hurt here!)

My 2 cents:
The main difference between the application process of BS-MD and Undergrads is the applicants do not have a choice to apply to just one ED college and postpone the hard work necessary to complete applications/numerous essays until the ED decision date.

Per my knowledge, the application due dates for the well-known BS-MDā€™s span from Oct-15 thru Dec-1 with the exception of Northwestern and Stony Brook. For Northwestern, applicants are required to request the HPME application by Dec-1.

When the ED results are released (such as for Brown), you have about 1-2 weeks to fill out the application, write the essays, request recommendation. This is impossible especially due to the Christmas holiday break. The sheer number of BS-MD applications (10-15) a student submits makes the process challenging as well.

There are other factors such as High Schools & teachers requirement requiring advanced notice to provide transcripts and recommendations.

So, even if a student wants to apply to ED, he/she has little choice but to complete the applications before December. So, it makes perfect sense for them to submit all their applications at the same time along with their ED application. Infact, the benefit for them is not the ā€œreduction in hard-workā€ but in the ā€œearly result & peace of mindā€. Also, the BS-MD applicants have much more to lose (compared to regular undergrads) by not applying to all their list of schools early!

As far as I know, only two programs offer BS-MD ED option ā€“ Brown PLME and Wayne State (maybe I am wrong)

Northwestern UG comes out Tuesday not this Friday !! Not sure about HPME.

Hey guys,
It comes today as a bit of sad news for my admission the UConn Special Program in Medicine. I got put on a list of alternative candidates. Do any of you have any information on that? I really loved UConn and hope to have the chance to attend as a part of the SPiM program.

did you get an email or regular mail? thanks!

I am OOS as well. I received the mail today. I donā€™t think they do anything via email. Do you guys know how many are waitlist?