***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Folks

Residency: My niece got matched to her first choice residency program. Internal Medicine (which gets classified as primary care residency). On track to become a cardiologist.

BU success: One of my counselees got an acceptance from BU with 25K scholarship.

Thank you @grtd2010

Congratulations @patelmj2001

@SoccerRules @mom2boys1999

1510, 800 in 3 subjects. 9 APs all 5, 4 more this year.

School does not rank but my interviewer showed me the recommendation rating and all three had ā€œbest of my careerā€ for character/personal promise. At the end of the interview she commented that she saw why I was rated that way.

I will post reflection in the results thread once all is done.

You do not need perfect scores if you are well rounded and you are doing this because you want this and not pushed by parents.

Applications: 14, Interview Invites 8, Interview Accepts: 5 (3 withdrawn). 3 offers so far.
Plan B: 2/4 waiting for Rice and Harvard

How well you do at BU SMED depends on your high school rigor and college peparedness. Most of the students do reasonably well and get > 3.5 gpa (against 3.2 requirement). But some students do struggle and drop off in a year or two. Attrition rate is between 5-10% each batch. First year physics and chemistry are tough.

Research and medical EC opportunities are plenty both at BU and elsewhere like for example Harvard, Mass Gen, Eye and Ear Infirmary and Childrenā€™s. All world class institutions. But one needs to seek out, they are not going to come fall in oneā€™s lap.

No, they donā€™t prepare for MCAT and you are on your own. However the rigor of course work enables the students to do quite well at MCAT. I gather that several students in a recent batch of SMED who took the test after sophomore year, mostly with little self preparation, scored in the 520s range.

By the way just pointing out the MCAT requirement for BU SMED program is 80 th percentile at a minimum (>= 511 or so), and not some rock bottom score mentioned by someone earlier.

But I donā€™t imagine any one in the program having an issue with the requirement. As mentioned in earlier post, most of the students there score >= 15 percentile points above that mark with relative ease.

Hello everyone! using my dadā€™s account here. Iā€™m a current BU SMED undergrad in my first year. (a smed 1). For any new accepted students, congrats! if you would like, the current SMEDs have made a facebook you can join where we can answer any questions and you can get to know one another. (ONLY STUDENTS PLEASE) Just search on facebook:

Boston University SMED Class of 2027

It should be visible to anyone who searches it up!
good luck and congrats to all!

Thank you very much @rk2017 :-))

@MD2028 @patelmj2001 @ngjeuf @walter2020
Please check with BU SMED for the latest requirements for matriculation to BU SOM. It has one of the lowest requirements and a good choice for BS/MD.
For regular MD route, it is a low yield school ( i.e there are a large number of applicants to medical school)
University Median GPA Median MCAT Latest USN rank
Boston University 3.76 516 29 ( up one notch in 2020)
Usually BS/MD students have lower requirement for matriculation than regular MD route applicants.

@MD2028
Are your three offers - BU SMED, Temple PPHS and AMC ?

@MD2028 and others who got in, congratulations!

That is really extraordinary that you got 3 ā€œbest of my careerā€ recommendations and the interviewer was so open to share it with you. Does establish that the program is holistic in approach and not like few others which eliminate candidates mostly on gpa and test score criteria. Please do share your stats, background and reflections in the results thread to guide others down the road.

I agree BU has one of the lowest requirements for GPA/MCAT and I never understood their reasoning given that itā€™s a good school and GPA/MCAT for their traditional path is much higher. However BU is also known as grade deflation school and one student dropped out 2 years back due to GPA. My issue with BU or most other programs are they are too expensive.

Yes kids mention about their intended major in essays and lot of schools ask for intended major and as someone said you apply to different school within the university based on the major.

Also, if schools have why this school essay you can articulate about the intended major if school has strong program for that major.

Depends on what major you applied to. Lately the competition for BU undergrad is spiking with many extraordinary applicants. Last year their acceptance rate was less than 19% and this year it may have been even lower. The average honors college successful applicant had unweighted gpa > 3.9 last year. They have an outstanding Bio med eng department and very strong in other eng departments as well. Also they are holistic in assessment of applicants. So the combination of all these in the backdrop of ever increasing competition can make it unpredictable for anyone.

Getting the presidential award at BU undergrad is perhaps even more difficulty (and prestigious) than getting into SMED program.

Could anyone please advise on the research opportunities in SLU for undergrad?

Congratulations to all BSMD acceptances. This week is going to be big for us.

Although DC didnā€™t get into GW/GW (rejected pre interview), she got into their UG with presidential scholarship :smile: we can use some good news during these times.

No @grtd2010 . BU, VCU and AMC. A friend i made during interview cycle got into PPHS.

@NoviceDad @rk2017 @Vicky2019 Congrats to all who already got into their few or one of the BSMD programs !!! I do not feel bad about BU UG at all was just losing hope for upcoming decisions next week with less than 15% admit rate while BU UG has a higher acceptance rate. As just was thinking since I applied BSMD and they kind of know very well that this person might not attend their UG and must have applied BSMD elsewhere also so rejected as yield protection.

Yes definitely understand how the admission are random and also that the essays + ECā€™s plays very important role in all these colleges and I can see my results from them as had great ECā€™s, very high stats and ranked number 1 in my class but did not do very well on my essays as I wanted to do at my very best and did last minute everything and send it on the deadline and that is also reason behind the BSMD programs getting pre rejected for interview except three of them got interview and hopefully hoping at least get into one of them as one them is already top BSMD so no hope for that and even surprised to even get interview as results come out next week and first week of April. At least happy to get into GEORGETOWN so far.

To those who got rejected from Northwestern HPME, did your rejection email include this paragraph?

ā€œWe hope that you will still consider Northwestern University for your undergraduate education, and we would welcome your application to the Feinberg School of Medicine after a traditional four year undergraduate program. The Feinberg School of Medicine also offers an early admissions program for highly qualified Northwestern undergraduate students called the Northwestern Undergraduate Premedical Scholars Program (NUPSP). You are welcome to apply for this program in your third year of undergraduate study at Northwestern University, and can find out more information from their website, http://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/admissions/nupsp/index.htmlā€

did the decisions came out already or did you just get an email