***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@ubsmd2020 this was from a month ago but i was just reading the email again

oh ok Thanks

@GoldenRock

The AO at BU actually told us the opposite last week. I specifically asked if you get denied for SMED can you still get considered for BU regular admissions and was told no. He was the second AO from BU to tell me that as well.

Do not loose hope for BS/MD. NJMS is still out there. Rutgers-RWJ has an early admission program which you can apply if you decide to join Rutgers.
At worst, you can apply to two NJ medical schools as a NJ resident via regular MD route.
If you are determined, you will find a way to become a Physician. It may well be that you were just unlucky. Be happy with your accomplishments.

1 Like

My child got admitted to BU UG after applying for SMED. After learning from this forum, we had to submit a formal request to change the program from SMED to UG when we did not get an interview for SMED. Just sharing to clarify for any future applicants.

Thanks for sharing what you heard from the Admission officer. But, do they really follow through. Did any student actually receive admission in these conditions. If so, can you share examples based on fact of the below cases -

1. Applied for BS/MD but didnā€™t get interviewed.
  2. Applied for BS/MD and got interviewed but didnā€™t get selected. I donā€™t know how to respond to your comments.

My DS attended the BU SMED interview in Jan 2020. He got a decision letter from BU that was a ā€œcut & pasteā€ that they probably sent to all the undergrads who didnot receive admission. See below some sections from this letter:

The Board of admissions has carefully and thoughtfully reviewed your application for admission. We recognize your strong commitment to your studies and appreciate the time and effort that went into preparing your application. However we are unable to offer you admission to Boston University.

Should you remain interested in Boston University, you may consider the possibility of transferring to BU after two semesters oof strong academic work at another accredited college or university. Each year, we enroll students through our transfer admission program, and we would welcome the opportunity to discuss this option with you.

I was hoping to see a program specific email actually mentioning about BS/MD and more specifically about the # of people interviewed and accepted.

This question is specifically so it benefits kids who are planning to apply in the future years. I want them to have the right understanding of various programs. Students applying to BS/MD programs need to apply widely. Instead of depending on BS/MD programs to select them for UG, they should apply independently to various undergrads. With this approach, students will end up with a selection of strong Undergrads and one or more BS/MD programs. At the end students can decide if they want to pursue their dream of becoming a Doctor via a regular/traditional route or via a BS/MD

OK, thanks for sharing and clarifying.

@medical100 did you hear anything back from Sophie?

Regarding balance between traditional and BS/MD applications:

Kind of repeat for those who may have read my notes on this earlier.
Going by the past few cycles students have taken two approaches.

1. Applying to a handful of BS/BA/MD programs of their choice, typically not more than 6-8. While this can lower their chances significantly, they were fine with traditional route. And then few traditional undergrad applications like up to 10 or so.
  2. Go all out for the direct med programs with the understanding they would be fine going to a local state school or may be one of the couple of other schools they would apply to traditional route, if things didn't work out with this approach.

That way they donā€™t spread themselves too thin when it comes to essays and the interviews. Especially those taking the second approach can stay focused on the trajectory of medicine instead of having to do all the creative writing types for traditional route.

Yes reminds someone doing that from last cycle also. After waiting till early Feb for interview for SMED, had the application transferred over to traditional route. And got selected for presidential scholarship. (Chose to go elsewhere though after much deliberation because of weather/health concerns).

FYI, This was mentioned by me in this thread. I am glad at least someone benefited.
Professional & Graduate School / Pre-Med & Medical School / Multiple Degree Programs
It is not automatic consideration for UG admission after SMED rejection. One has to specifically request to admissionā€™s office that you would like to be considered for UG alone.

This seems a good public relations gesture to keep you interested in future. Who knows, you may choose to do residency there after attending a different medical school.

NUPSP is a very good alternative for NU UG students, very cut throat competition among NU UGs. My S is having serious thoughts about it and we donā€™t know how it will be played out at end of this years, especially current affairs in country causes lots of ECs being canceled and leaves virtually no options.

This was from the AO via email:
ā€œ In regards to your second question: correct, students denied from SMED are not considered for any other programs that application cycle. Itā€™s definitely a factor to weigh when you decide which program you apply for. Let me know if thereā€™s anything else I can help with.ā€

When I asked the AO during our face to face I was told the same thing- that if not selected for interview or, after interview, denied admission to SMED, students can not roll their applications over for UG.

I see other people have had different experiences so I have no clue. Just sharing what was told to us twice- I am not an AO and donā€™t work for BU.

So who knows?!

It makes sense. NUPSP is a good alternate for your kid (or other kids similarly inclined). Northwestern UG is a T10 school. So, they are going for option#1 as mentioned by @rk2017 #4636. This actually is a slightly better version of option#1 .

I am copy/pasting sections of the requirements from Northwestern NUPSP website-

1. early MD acceptance program for high-achieving Northwestern undergraduate students

2. Each year, approximately six to eight NUPSP students are offered early acceptance to Feinberg.

3. does not require program participants to take the MCAT Examination.

4. Completed two full years in residence at Northwestern University with an overall and science GPA of 3.7 or higher.

5. Demonstrated their commitment to medicine by participating in several years of on-going extra-academic clinical and research activities.

Logically speaking - BS/MD candidates in this forum who decide to opt for T10 or T20 UG instead of BS/MD could be ideal for Early assurance programs since they already have -

a) medical experience (research/volunteering/shadowing) - they can improve on thisā€¦

b) 10+ APs ( achieving 3.7+ GPA in first two years could be slightly easier for them)

Case sent an email this morning for a webinar from SOM for 11 am today. Maybe the results are coming out aoon.

ā€œI hope you will be joining Case Western Reserve Universityā€™s School of Medicine today for the virtual Welcome and Q&A.ā€

Did everyone who attended PPSP get that email?

We know the NUPSP nuances, reality numbers are ~50 eligible to apply, ~30 applies, ~16 interviewed, ~7 gets selected, 3.85+ GPA. Only drawback of the program is one canā€™t opt for MD+PhD.

For kids interested in pursuing option-1 mentioned by @rk2017 #4636 - early assurance programs could be a criteria for selecting their UG. The below colleges range from T10 -T20- T30 -T40 etcā€¦ so, provide a good variety.

My nephew is completing his UG in a top liberal arts school and starting his medical school in 2020 Fall via Early assurance program offered by U of Rochester

I found the following list by googling in the internet:

Albany Medical College Early Assurance Program
Boston University Early Medical School Selection Program
Brody School of Medicine Early Assurance Program
Dartmouth University Geisel School of Medicine Early Assurance Program
Drexel University College of Medicine Early Assurance Program
Georgetown University School of Medicine Early Assurance Program
Hofstra/Northwell Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine, Zucker Pipeline Program
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, Flex Med Program
Michigan State University College of Human Medicine Early Assurance Program
Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine Early Assurance Program
Penn State College of Medicine Early Assurance Program
SUNY Upstate Medical University Early Assurance Program
Temple University Lewis Katz School of Medicine Early Assurance Program
Tufts University School of Medicine Early Assurance Program
University of Chicago Pritzker school of Medicine Early Assurance Program
University of Florida Medical Honors Program
University of Rochester School of Medicine Early Assurance Program
Wake Forest School of Medicine Early Assurance Program

Hi, D noticed that on her Drexel portal, there is no longer a section on the main page that says ba-bs/md early assurance status, even though this morning there was. Could those that applied to Drexel please check and confirm? Thanks