***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Drexel admissions are in! In admission status, the decisions are underneath

That sounds correct for automatic consideration but one has to initiate changing the program to be considered for UG.

Based on our understanding, BU seems to consider SMED and UG as separate programs and an application can be considered for only one program. Therefore, SMED application is not automatically considered for the any UG program. However, we have the option to change the program to UG from SMED anytime. As they do not officially confirm if they are done sending out all the interview invites, it is tricky to figure out the timing on when to initiate this. Late February might be a good time.

@Vicky2019

Thanks for posting the compiled list for EAP.

1. USF offers
  2. Mt. Sinai allows from any UG school. Obviously more applicants and more competitive.

@gs2020

That is exactly the point. Since many posts are not clear, it is useful if some one who has gone thru this cycle should help to clarify so that future parents / students benefit and not mislead.

In 2016 cycle my D applied for BU SMED and did not get an interview. (forgot whether she got a formal notification from BU that she is not selected for interview - That is what I am seeking from current cycle students - Do BU SMED sends a formal rejection for pre-interview or not)

But she formally notified she is interested in BU UG and she got accepted.

This aspect I have posted in every year discussion thread. Same thing for CWRU. Both are nice and invariably accept competitive BS/MD students for their UG (CWRU also gives merit aid).

The likely schools which protect yield are NU and WashU (if they asked to apply for their BS/MD program but not offered interview).

My D got into Drexel

Wow! two acceptances this week from BU and Drexel. Congratulations!

With these, how many acceptances does your D have so far?

Congratulations! to your D on Drexel acceptance

This forum has helped a few kids who were not offered BS/MD interview to formally notify BU and tell them that she/he is interested in UG as well.

Since a kid who underwent interview is hoping she/he is likely to get a BS/MD seat, they would normally not formally notify the Undergrad admissions that they would be interested in UG seat.

I wonder if a kid who was offered BU SMED interview also can notify to Undergrad admissions to consider them for UG in case they were not selected for admission? Not sure, if anyone in this forum has tried this?

The reason I am saying this is students applying to BS/MD end up applying to 15+ schools and the quality of applications/essays is impacted. If most BS/MD schools can double up as UG schools, they can streamline their list!!!

Thank you @Vicky2019 !!!

@suku1zar Congratulations to you and your d!

Also, we were wondering how feasible is achieving the MCAT requirement for Drexel’s program, which is below

“Receive in a single examination, minimum MCAT scores of 128 in the following sections: Chemical and Physical
Foundations of Biological Systems; Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems; and the Psychological, Social, and Behavioral Foundations of Behavior sections. The subset score requirement for the Critical Analysis and Reasoning section is 127. Or, receive a minimum total score of 513 with no subsection score less than 127.”

513 is 88th percentile.

The minimum score computes as 128+128+128+127( CARS) = 511 (83%). The individual sections are in order as above CP(85%), BB(84%) PsySOc(88%), CARS(82%) which should not be too difficult if one prepares and practices well. The average matriculant’s MCAT score is near 512 for US medical schools. D has taken MCAT in Jan 2020 has done very well.

Is MD-PHD better than just MD ?

I have one question. If we go the traditional route the acceptance rate is 3 to 4 %.
In that case if we don’t get in med school then the undergrad Major will play a big role in getting a job outside as a back up plan.

Is Computer Science a better major then to cover the risk. ? We can still do all the Pre-med courses with this major and at the end of 4 years Trad route does not work we can get a decent job as a software developer.

Thoughts ?

It is more a question of one’s interest. Unlike colleges, there is no inter-med transfer.

Certainly one of best alternative, as long as you have interest in that field. Drawback for CS degree is GPA that med schools are looking for, should one decide to pursue med school. Achieving high GPA in CS is not that simple, especially higher level classes. CS will cover the risk for bread, but opens the risk for dream that may prolonged if not come true. It boils down to how much risk baring and passion one has for alternatives.

Let me share my experience. I have no idea if this is a popular opinion -

My cousin is in biomedical research. He did MS-PhD with full scholarship. He is really well placed in a top Pharma company. He informed me about his colleagues who joined his firm (top Pharma) after studying MD-PhD. They both joined the same role.

1. I don't know what the difference in salary is if you choose one path over other.
  2. On the face, the person who studied MD-PhD spent 2-3 years more than the person with MS-PhD studying. This would be more years if they took gap years before MD.
  3. I don't know if all MD-PhD programs provide full scholarship. I know some colleges provide scholarship. Without scholarship, this could be extremely costly, especially since they won't be able to pay back the loans until they actually start earning a decent salary!

My son got In drexel BS/MD program also besides BU SMED program
Great news for us since another option and still waiting from AMC result

I am a computer engineer and there fore support any kid going for computer science as their major in UG or PG or PhD. Software engineering/programmers are very highly paid. There is a demand for these positions and we are looking for well qualified candidates.

In my DS highschool which is very competitive, his senior (by 5 years) went to Princeton and graduated last year with computer science major. It is rumored that his starting salary was 150-200K with benefits after just his UG! Unbelievable!

I won’t say this is normal but this particular senior was top of his class in princeton.

All MD-PhD program are fully funded by grants from NIH. Yes, you spend 3-4 years to do PhD ( mainly research) beyond MD. It is preferred by those who wants to go to academic medicine. One get to practice medicine if licensed with MD-PhD not with a Ph.D in Biomedical Engineering. It is an apple and orange comparison. A person pursuing Ph.D has no interest in practice of medicine.

You can do CS major or minor if you are worried about not making in traditional path. Some CS programs have higher level math requirements and due to that GPA may take a hit and some schools are known for grade deflation. Traditional path need careful planning.