***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Thanks for your feedback. Appreciate your positive feedback :slight_smile: There is always room for improvement.

I am not a student and rest of my family are idealists. I have to be the practical one. So, some bad habits…however, I do spend a lot of time volunteering to make up for being practical :slight_smile:

Yes, but should be at end of decision making process, not at beginning. Welcome to kingdom of parents whose 2 or more kids are in colleges at same time.

I too am a parent of multiple kids soon to be in college!

The matriculation requirements for LKSOM can change. For Temple PPHS ( D has completed all requirements except for a formal application to LKSOM via AMCAS ), it is more likely greater than MCAT score 509 mentioned here.

Agreed. Thank you

You may have to take into account medical school expenses too even though D/S can take out loans for medical school.

if one cares for med school match list

Below are latest 2020 match lists

Nu

https://www.feinberg.northwestern.edu/md-education/current-students/career-development/residency-application-process/match-results/

Brown

https://medical.brown.edu/about/facts-and-figures/match-lists/2020-match-list

RE: W&J

I would ask all to exercise caution on W&J.

In my view, the quality of undergrad at W&J is not on par with what a high quality BS/MD student should get.

The mid-range SAT scores is 1090 - 1210. For smart BS/MD level kids, getting an "A"would be a piece of cake with little or no stress. there will be hardly any peer pressure to excel. In my view, it does NOT prepare students for Med school.

Just my two cents on W&J.

Congrats to everyone who got into CASE & Drexel

I got into both BU BSMD and DREXEL BSMD; anybody get the same? Just waiting for Brown PLME

@DroneFly

CS is a good plan B option. However, it will not be an easy choice.

To give you an example:

At NU, the overlap between HPME pre-med requirements (17 credits) and CS is probably 1 physics credit.
Effectively you have to do 36+ 17 - 1 = 52 credits with 3 years or with permission 4 years.
Typically, students do 12 credits across 3 quarters (1 NU year). If you follow that routine, in 4 years you will cover 48 credits. This means you need do atleast 1 summer quarter to cover your 4 credits.
All this while maintaining an overall GPA of 3.65 (A-). And NU has an average of 3 mid-terms for each subject in its 10 week quarter.

At NU-HPME, they will effectively discourage you to taking CS as your undergrad major.
In fact, most biomedical engineering students switch to Weinberg just to maintain their GPA and workload.

Now, NU example may NOT be applicable to other schools but whichever school you plan to join, make sure you understand what exactly you are getting into.

Folks with two kids in college.

As you may already know, FAFSA’s EFC calculation factors the impact of a child already in college.
Most PRIVATE colleges offer need based aid.

Hopefully, the EFC calculation is in your favor and colleges give you ample aid.

If you are worried, most colleges have an aid calculator - play with that and you will get a ball-park of the cost. Hopefully the actual aid is more than the one the calculator indicates.

I haven’t followed the whole proceedings here, lately have been so tied up at work. So may be missing out somethings and going off track.

But this is my take. If anyone wants to be considered for BU undergrad even as they applied for SMED, they need to inform the admissions office within reasonable time frame. Say February 1st or 2nd week at the latest. Hopefully you will get a reasonable hunch as to will be called for SMED interview or not.

• If you get SMED interview call by then, then go for it. You have 40-50% chance of making it. Even if you don't get selected, it's a good experience. You won't be considered for undergrad there and will be sent a blanket cover email that you aren't selected to BU (may actually mean SMED)
  • if you don't get interview call by the above time frame, and still open to be considered for BU undergrad, you better call up admissions and let them know to transfer your application. If you cross the mid February mark, either they may say it is too late or even if they transfer, you may be at a disadvantage since they may have already made up their minds on at least a subset of applicants who will be given presidential scholarships. If you are a NMF finalist though it doesn't matter, since as long as you notify NMF that BU is your first choice by March 1st, you are assured of 25k/year award by BU (but not as prestigious as presidential, though the amounts are same for both).

Hope this clarifies for future applicants.

Don’t think Case is out yet.

can someone analyze drexel bs/md program v/s BU SMED program and give me some feedback on this?
We need to pick one for now and still waiting for AMC and Brown PLME results…
thanks in advance

Sure it is. You can also get into computational biology, Bio Infirmatics, big data etc, which align very well with both the streams (med as well as CS). But also beware, one may get sucked into CS and have change of minds about medicine altogether, especially considering the overall graduation time and having to spend a lot on med school, besides all the competition to get in.

My suggestion to C was to enroll in this reputed quantitatie finance program for undergrad which was offering a very decent scholarship also, while simultaneously pursuing pre-med plans and above was the rationale given by C.

Did anyone have their University of Oklahoma MHSP Interview today? If so, what was it like? Do you have any suggestions or advice on how to prepare?

Yes. It was great. @helix8

Don’t go by residency match lists or what some local website says about their rankings as the only criteria.
Times higher, a world wide renowned outfit, gives a more realistic on the ground picture and considers both the med schools more or less on par. I bet most of the Brown students choose to go to primary fields for residencies intentionally but end up getting into coveted fellowships following that.

My DS completed today, standard interview, based on app, essay and environs. V r from Oklahoma too so some were based on that. 20/25 min and Dr. Tracy was nice. Be relaxed, no surprises. Good luck.