***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@helix8 ah I think I was wrong abt the NMF thing, but in the email I received the director strongly recommended that I take the first date, and in previous years it has been said that FAU’s first batch of interviewees are usually it’s strongest applicants. I was even offered an alternate date but strongly recommended against taking it, so I’m fairly certain that there is a correlation between earlier interview date and acceptance. Also, the person who talked to us during interview day said 40 are invited to interview, 10 for each day.

Again, this is just based on trends and what I heard from the directors during the interview, but for all we know I may be wrong. Let me know if it works out for you, good luck!

There is May 1 deadline date for most BS/MD and UG offers to be accepted for a reason. All offers should be evaluated and then one should decide the ONE to accept. But if one has already decided which school to attend, they should inform earlier as a courtesy to others.

@PathophysiologyFTW @ghytu12 @helix8 @“bsmd mom”

FAU:
Congratulations to you @PathophysiologyFTW

From My discussions with Ms Monica at FAU:

• COM will interview only 30 and select only 12 (lower than the 16 they did last year)
  • 6 each from each campus - main and Honors campus

Also, there weren’t 10 students on each interview day.

But, it is interesting to note a program director recommending to take a particular interview date.

@NoviceDad there were 9 kids on my day but wow I didn’t expect there to be so few being interviewed.

By logic, if you were admitted to medical school (HPME), you must have been admitted to NU. So your guess about tomorrow seems on target.

Thats crazy - being interviewed for HPME but waitlisted for UG. Did you apply to McCormick - Engineering?

NU might not be convinced that one will attend NU alone after not being selected for SOM ( after HPME interview). Why waste a slot on some one keen on BS/MD ?

Disagree with that. I think NU gives admission purely on the basis of merit. I know that from my DS’s situation. Received admission offer today to NU but was not even offered HPME interview.

Congratulations on NU admission, please join NU, a Top 10 UG. One can always pursue medical school via regular route.

@Nvidia20

No one for sure can state. All of us are stating what we came to know in close circle.

Here is my statement based on what I am reading from various posts in the last 5 year and including my D experience 4 cycles back.

NU and WahsU are yield protectors, especially about BS/MD students (Not referring the entire UG applicant population). If they reject for BS/MD AND if they feel the candidate is a potential candidate for other BS/MD programs, UG admission is a reject.

It is not the same for CWRU, BU or Uof Rochester or Rice or other colleges. That is again my observation and not saying it is correct or true or have any statistical data to back up.

My other C spend 7 years in the HPME program. So I fully agree that its a great school. Early assurance program is also another option that NU provides . So its high on the list.

Good Luck to you on NJMS. It is not a bad choice for BS/MD for a NJ resident if selected. It is cheaper than most private medical schools as it is supported by state funds.

I discussed earlier and received bunch of responses but I have an extended question on the major. We’re totally new to the colleges here and this is the first time experience. My D is only interested in Public Health or Psychology as the 2nd option for the major. How easy it’s to change from one major to the other in these BS/MD programs? I know someone mentioned earlier that few colleges have restricted curriculum but if the college has flexibility how easy it is? Usually Public Health comes under College of Sciences and if Psychology comes under different college, can they still change? How do we really research this kind of information before selecting the college?

Did any one hear SUNY UPSTATE results from March 2nd interview?

why would they think that let’s say I have not been accepted to any of the BSMD program at all so far and one left and since NU is on top 10 list and they have the Scholars program I would have attend if that’s the only one I got into for top 10. So how they convinced like that and if they think we are not even strong enough for NU why even invited for an interview for HPME and just putting our hope all togehter for UG as everywhere else is different for UG as have to go through UG first and then forwards application to the BSMD route.

Yes I agree definetly going if I get in there but interivew for NJMS did not went well and HPME went very well so was hoping for luck for that one and would have gotten if was selected.

Hoping my luck will come through the last NJMS BSMD program, otherwise will go through traditional route. If not BSMD praying GOD and Hoping to get some and hope to get lucky for any 4 year decisions outcome tomorrow. And really thank you for replying all my texts and wishing me luck. Did you get into your BSMD program already and wish you all the best luck for your outcomes.

If that turns out to be true for younger one, you will be unique parent on this forum. :smile: NUPSP is not that easy, even though one competes against only NU UGs. We are having planning, go for NUPSP coming December, If failed to get in by March end (spring break, pretty around this time next year), prepare for MCAT and move on. Now the current affairs have thrown that planning upside down as lots of ECs can’t be accomplished by NUPSP application time (next December).

@ubsmd2020 it’s probably based on their past experience, my guess is that most of past HPME applicants joined another BS/MD program and chose not attend NW undergraduate only, so they will either reject or waitlist those who are not accepted by HPME program. I think you have the option to indicate whether you are still interested in the NW undergraduate admission if not accepted by HPME program, but I don’t remember which step you can do that.

Just got in to HPME! Calls going out today and emails later.

@walter2020 congratulations! If I remember correctly you were accepted to UG y’day.