***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

If you work hard, you can easily get a UG GPA 3.6. You should be able to get 80% MCAT score (~511) easily if you prepare well. These are very close to the average GPA and the average MCAT score of matriculants to US medical schools.

@Vicky2019
Thanks.

@srk2017, @SpeedSkater @Vicky2019 @NoviceDad
Thank you so much for all kind replies to my question. Different opinions are from different angles to see and analyze things. Every opinion is highly appreciated! Kids whose parents participated in active discussion in this forum are extremely lucky to have these parents to grow up with. I hope whatever my son’s choice is truly from him, then he won’t go wrong, doesn’t matter which option he pick.

Thanks @srk2017.

Cornell is a know grade deflator school. This will create an extra stress on your D to get A’s.

Hello All - My son got admitted into the Case PpSP and Brown PLME, both are 8 year courses. In Case he has a 50% scholarship for the UG part, in Brown of course nothing. Need some input and info on what to choose. Thank you.

Case PPSP(USN rank 24) with 50% scholarship over Brown PLME (USN rank 38) with full pay.

Main attraction for PLME is the free wheeling liberal arts education. I would personally go to Case and be a star there. Case has one of the highest Orthopedics march % in the country. Half of brown MD students are from BSMD or their UG (and it’s called inbreeding on SDN).

I have access to MSAR and looked up the stats, both incoming classes have similar stats. Case class is 200+, probably due to 30+ Cleveland Clinic students.

@grtd2010 , @rk2017

Thank you for your feedback! I am not too concerned about the GPA or MCAT requirements. I think I will do fine on both those things. Do you have any input on Georgetown and being pre-med there? And whether I should go to Georgetown instead of Hofstra?

@swuzy01
If you go by USN ranking Gorgetown SOM is ranked 44 compared to Hofstra ranked 70. Did you talk to students at both universities ? Where would you like to spend 4 or more years ?

Isn’t Hofstra relatively newer school?

@srk2017
Yes, relatively new SOM.
Established in 2008, the Donald and Barbara Zucker School of Medicine at Hofstra/Northwell on Long Island, New York, was founded by two equal partners: Hofstra University and Northwell Health. It was the first allopathic medical school established in Nassau County, Long Island, and the first new medical school in the New York metropolitan area in more than 35 years.

@bsmdoregularug

Many folks have responded to your query.
I would agree with most of what they have indicated.

I am not sure 350K is worth the bragging rights of going to Cornell.
But if it is his dream school, it may be worth to explain to him that his dream could become a nightmare. Gap year post Cornell is a given - just to give yourself a fighting chance at med school applications.

You may have already explored this link but it is worth a look:
http://talk.qa.collegeconfidential.com/cornell-university/1180462-10-tips-for-succeeding-as-a-premed-at-cornell.html

Sticker price for PLME is around $660,000. Case PPSP, with the UG and PPSP scholarships, is a better value for the money, while also being a T25 med college with clerkship option at Cleveland Clinic and other major hospitals nearby. If your son does end up at PPSP, please let me know. My C will most probably accept PPSP.

@swuzy01

From undergrad experience perspective, Georgetown will definitely be better than Hofstra.
However from a medical school perspective, Hofstra’s link with the Northwell system (and its 23 hospitals) gives you tremendous options. One Third of Hofstra’s med graduates match within the Northwell system.

Georgetown pre-med means you have to go the traditional undergrad route.
Are you ok with gap year(s)?

I worked near Hofstra until 2002 and my S born was at LIJ hospital.

@priapat

Both are good options.
Is any school his dream school?
Does he like one over the other?

My DS got admitted to BSMD from BU /UMKC and waiting for decision from TCNJ. WuSTL-USPM. Got UG from UPenn, Vandy,WashU,Emory. He is leaning towards BU SMED. Appreciate any feedback with the choice.

@smartfish Go with BU. If you are NJ resident and get TCNJ/NJMS think again especially if money is in the equation.

@priapat Go with CWRU if student is clear about medicine. If not Brown.