***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Also, a question to all: if we didn’t make any BSMD and try the regular route, should we go to Texas for UG and later apply as IS for Texas medical schools? We are in CA, there is the option for UCs for UG, but I heard a lot of competitions …

What about Drew/NJMS? Would they submit results at a different time? Has anyone gotten a result from them?
Also, what about AMC results? Specifically for those in UC for RPI or Union/AMC

Need some help to decide - Son has 2 options now after NJMS rejection - Union / AMC vs Drexel/Drexel. We are NJ resident and Cost of Attendance to both are pretty much same after some small scholarship. Not many solid UG options besides local NJ schools.

Do we just not get an email if we are rejected?

Also, @Sps3273 did you get an NJMS rejection email? Also, did u get into Union/AMC in the first round or after being under consideration?

Does your S has Rutgers-New Brunswick UG as an option ? It may a better option for a regular route MD than other options mentioned here.

1 Like

@grtd2010 He does have Rutgers-NB but not an Honors College SAS, so RWJ 4+4 is not an option for him.

Call Drew office to find out what is the outcome.

@asdfghslk He received an email from NJIT.

Call the feeder school to NJMS to find out what is the outcome.

Not all UCs are bad. If you can figure out how to become IS in TX, go for it. I am not going to tell you how to become one.

But regular 4 year UG at Rutgers-NB is still an option for your S. Does Honors or no Honors matter here ? Apply to regular route MD after taking MCAT in IMO.

What’s EMR?

In Texas, buy a house or condo for your C, he/she will likely get a texas residency. Got emails from real-estate agents from UT-Austin area when D was admitted there.

Hello everyone! I am super excited to be done with the whirlwind process of BS/MD applications. I’m also super grateful to have been offered admission into every program I interviewed for:

Northwestern HPME
BU SMED w/ presidential scholarship
Temple HSP w/ full tuition
Union/AMC LIM w/ presidential scholarship
TCNJ/NJMS
NJIT/NJMS w/ full ride
Stevens/NJMS w/ 35k/year

I was also offered interviews at Oklahoma and Hofstra, which I decided to decline. I’ll be sure to post my stats in the results thread after making my decision. Thank you to everyone on this thread for your advice and insights!

Stoneybrook (any scholarships ?) over AMC.

Congratulations, BU SMED( with presidential scholarship) over NU HPME IMO.

Here are 10/10 rated by student interviewee.

Vanderbilt - 10/10
Overall Impression: By far my favorite interview day. Admissions staff was extremely nice, knew my file. Lunch was OK. 2 interviewers.
Curriculum: Has a 1 year preclinical, with a special research year in place of a traditional MS3. However, the research year can be used to do anything from research to a subinternship. Extremely personalized curriculum (professional, research, and ‘college mentor), with weekly college meetings, a portfolio coach, and a special research meeting to ensure you find a publishable lab. Pass/Fail Clinical as well.
Wellness: Students were EXTREMELY happy, small class size (90 students), with low stress, and utilizes the college system. Vanderbilt also has a great focus on student wellness (students go on a retreat within the first couple months). Probably the most chill students besides Yale. Nashville is also just amazing, with a lot to do and a cheap(er) COL.
Quality of Campus: Building is new-er, and renovations are being done on a second one at the time of my interview. Hospital is right next door. Current medical building is very nice looking.

Mayo - 10/10
Overall Impression: Friendly atmosphere that comes with a smaller city (if you can even call it a city). Lunch is provided via a coupon to get whatever you want from the hospital cafeteria (which was very nice). Was caught of guard by one of my two interviewers, who asked me extremely tough (but good) Qs when everyone said the interview would be laidback.
Curriculum: 1.5 year preclinical, with special selective time woven in. This selective time can be used from anything to exploring rural medicine to robotics. However, there is no dedicated vacation time (such as the summer), just selective time that can be used for breaks instead of credits. Be aware of mandatory attendance. No white coat, only suits.
Wellness: All the students loved it. Only complaints I was able to find were small scheduling issues such as anatomy going over. The dress code is apparently only really followed the first few weeks + patient visits. Students have access to an AMAZING gym.
Quality of Campus: Hosptial is EXTREMELY nice, was like a hotel lobby with a guy playing piano type deal. Whole downtown is connected via underground tunnels they call the “subway” to help with the searing cold of winter. Actual medical building felt a tad claustrophobic, classrooms lacked windows and light. Hospital makes up though.

Perelman - 10/10
Overall Impressions: My other top 3 school after interview day. Admissions faculty was nice and helpful with trying to find my way through the maze that is the UPenn medical center. Comparatively felt a LOT like JHU. Also got to see parts of their curriculum during the I day, such as ultrasound and interviewing an actor patient. Had sandwiches for lunch. Student and faculty interview.
Curriculum: 1.5 year preclinical. UPenn has a LOT of resources, with at least 4 free clinics, and a variety of research opportunities. Very good pediatrics (if one is interested in that).
Wellness: Students are VERY nice, and the areas around UPenn can be very cheap COL wise (compared to NYC or other big cities). Utilizes a houses system, although students say it is not utilized much. Class size is a bit larger (150), but they use small group meetings of 7-9 to make students feel closer. Lot of students bike to the buildings.
Quality of Campus: Building was absolutely beautiful, with a lot of glass and sunlight.

JHU - 10/10
Overall Impressions: One of my top 3 schools following interview day. Only thing I didn’t like was the admissions faculty. Coming from a state school, I already felt out of the social circle compared to ivy leagues. Within the first fewe minutes the admissions dean ahd asked where we went, and started clicking with a Yale interviewee over which house they went to, which definitely made me feel pushed out of the group. Don’t worry about the whole “fishbowl” thing, just don’t say anything egregious while waiting for interviews. Had sandwiches for lunch. Student and faculty interview.
Curriculum: 1.5 preclinical. Has a very structured class heirarchy that utilizes colleges (30 students), macromolecules (15 students) and molecules (5 students) with mentors, throughout the 4 years. Smaller class of 120, but feels even smaller through this.
Wellness: Most students say crime isn’t a terrible issue in the area, and the school offers a free lyft service within a certain range to help with that. Cheaper COL than big cities, but keep in mind the stigma against Baltimore.
Quality of Campus: Absolutely beautiful buildings. Lots of sunlight and glass. Got to tour the original building (where the idea of “rounds” was supposedly made up). A lot of medical history.

Stonybrook provostial scholarship - full tuition

Stonybrook vs NJMS- which is a better option?

Have full tuition at Stonybrook

Great you have a full-tuition scholarship at Stoneybrook.