***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Isn’t Stonybrook 8 yrs? Are you OK with it?

Is it possible to get rejected by one feeder but accepted by another for the NJMS program at this stage?

7 year or 8 year was never a concern for me; as much as the guarantee of medical school in a good medical school with research and clinical options.

Therefore the question between RPI-AMC and Stonybrook which is better school. I looked up matching for both schools and most recent for Stonybrook ranged from plastics-Heme Onc- orthopedics- internal medicine-derm- anesthesiology at Yale, Columbia, stony Brook, Weil, Harvard etc.

Alternate is to go to traditional undergrad

Emergency medical responder. It’s like the step before a EMT.

Did you get accepted by NJMS ? Congratulations

Thank you @Vicky2019 with your info on SBU. My child does not have enough information to decide between UIC vs SBU. We are still researching both schools.

A selection list is made by NJMS, then sent to feeder schools. So which are your other feeders schools beside NJIT. Have they not communicated with you yet ?

As a NJ resident near Princeton area, TCNJ/NJMS if applicable is not bad. May be it is not the case, your are talking about regular path MD at NJMS.

Both are good medical schools with research options. Do not put much emphasis on match list at present. With USLME 1 as P/F for your class, things may be different.

Has Hofstra released its decisions? I know they said they would be released around April 1st but I haven’t received an email?

@bsmdgrateful Is that UIC GPPA? if yes, I will take that over SBU.

@walter2020

Congratulations!!!
I am sure you will make the right decision.

Among the options, I would go for HPME.

@PPofEngrDr Thank you for the advice. Can you explain your thoughts on why GPPA over SBU?

@bsmdgrateful Very simple, GPPA is local program in windy city where opportunities are enormous. Even if SBU is slightly better, would take local UG-SOM route that goes long way for still leftover teenage years.

Hi I am currently a junior in highschool and I would like to see where I’d stand in applying to BS MD programs.

I want to potentially apply to UIC GPPA, Penn State, Rice/Baylor, Uconn, ucinn, rutgers, brown, northwestern, drexel, slu med scholars, wustl scholars program in med, utoledo, rpi amc.

Midwest
(no ranking at my school)
SAT: 1470 (I took it in the summer before junior year so I am hoping to get a 1550 this summer)
GPA: 4.0 unweighted and 4.52 weighted

APs:
sophmore yr: Chemistry, Euro History
junior yr: Biology, Calc BC, US History, , English Lang and Comp
Scores:
4 on AP Chem

ECs
Badminton (Varsity) - can you even get scholarships for badminton??
Volleyball (quit after sophmore year)
Mu Alpha Theta
Science Honor Society (will be VP)
100 tutoring hours
60 hours of hospital volunteering
Future Doctors of America VP
I will be starting HOSA at my school
Key Club
Indian Student Association (Captaining and on Exec Board)
Science Olympiad (Varsity and Co-Captain)
Math Team (Varsity)
-i got accepted to 3 research internships but all of them cancelled and I am still waiting on hearing back from 2
etc…

Awards:
From volunteering and math team and scioly

-for the essays I am pretty good at writing and I think I can manage a strong essay and as for rec letters I don’t have too close connections with really any teacher so that is definitely a weakness

@PPofEngrDr I thought there would be more opportunities in NY since it’s close to NYC. And SBU is also affiliated with Mount Sinai.

@grtd2020 what I mean is - how can they say Students who have taken harder classes and end up in 3.7 GPA are not eligible compared to students who have taken easy classes and got 4gpa. I felt its bit unfair

Agreed, Rutgers UG and traditional route would be an ideal option for him if he choose to take route. If he goes with 8 year program, would you guys advice on Union vs Drexel ? We see drexel has advantage as closer to home ( NJ) vs AMC gives 3 degrees and No MCAT.

@bsmdgrateful UIC is technically Chicago, plenty of local hospitals, research and other opporutnities. Stony Brook is in Long Island, not in NY city. What is financial impact between those 2 options?

Someone has to show that X’s GPA is inferior to Y’s GPA among thousands of applicants. Can you imagine someone doing this for all applicants ? They more likely depend on SAT I and SAT II scores for this because of uniformity.