***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Mount Sinai has a flexmed early admission program open to sophomores from anywhere in USA.

whats harder classes? AP classes? Many programs will ask for a counselor report which will show the rigor of the courses offered by your school. Also there are many kids who did the highest courses offered by school and maintained 4.0 UW GPA. so it wont be fair to them if these programs take kids with lower gpa. i think gpa is one part of this puzzle and like others said you can try to have other activities/essays which will stand out compared to others and that might help.

Vs UIC GPPA is BS/MD program only open to IL residents

any one heard from rpi/amc?

No MCAT should not be a criterion IMO. As far as Union/AMC LIM option, it may not be worth the money. One can do MD/MBA dual degree almost in any big school. Inspite of proximity, Rutgers-NB is much better option than Drexel UG.

Improve your SAT I score and take SAT II in science(Biology/Chemistry) and/or Math.

Hi,

Was wondering about pro/con regarding NJIT and TCNJ. I would appreciate on strength and weakness of each undergraduate program.

TCNJ is in a secluded area near Trenton where as NJIT is in an urban area near Newark. NJIT is mainly an engineering school where as TCNJ is known as a small college (liberal arts/science/business).

Congratulations for all admissions you or your child gets, and it’s the time to determine which program to go. I just want to provide a little information, which many people in this forum may already know. Drexel closed many residency programs lately. It may not interfere with medical school’s education, but it may say something.

They have replaced some with Tower Health System partnership.

Drexel affiliated hospital Hanehman in Philly went bankrupt. This caused a sudden problem for all the residencies and internships of Drexel SOM which scrambled to assign them elsewhere. Something to bear in mind before attending this expensive university.

From what I understand, the schools in every state are ranked. So the course difficulty level at each school can be easily assessed by the medical school. GPA is just one dimension. Schools that evaluate holistically might consider a wider range of GPA I suppose, but others like UPitt have a cut off for even application ( at least 4.0) given the volume of high quality applicants. It all depends on the university one is applying to and can be very confusing.

@medislife1 received an offer from Hofstra. So far only one reported.

RPI/AMC made offers a while ago. Usually if the college does not have waiting list then they tend to make double the number of offers to the seats expecting some attrition in acceptances.

For example if BU has 25 seats it would make 40-45 offers and hopes that at least 25 would accept them based on their historical yield ratio/trends.

Folks

RE: Drexel
Here is an FAQ document that Drexel had published at the time of Hahnemann Bankruptcy. Answer many questions we have:

https://drexel.edu/now/archive/2019/July/How-Hahnemann-Closing-Impacts-Drexel/

Stonybrook SOM is ranked 58 with a better campus than NJMS at 70. It is equally cheap as NJMS if you are from NY.

thank you! we havent heard back, probably a rejection then.

Thank You ! That article led me to one of the latest updates, it seems medical schoolis moving to a new facilityin 2023 - https://drexel.edu/now/archive/2019/December/FAQ-An-Update-on-the-St-Christophers-Hospital-Acquisition/

My DC got admission into the folowing BS MD programs and would like your input to help us make a decision:

• Penn State/Jeff 7 yr
  • VCU GMED 8 yr --$24,000/yr scholarship
  • UConn SPiM 8 yr -- $25,000/yr
  • Stony Brook (Waitlisted, assuming adimission is offered) -- Full Tuition

OOS for all the programs. If finance is not a concern would the recommendation change?

Which state are you from Srisow?