***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Having run this race for 4 years now and now with decisions in front, I am torn between some great UG options vs. 3 BS/MD options with good scholarships. I am very fatigued right now by the process; however desire for medicine burns strong. I am currently leaning towards one BS/MD which will be a 2-3 hour distance from home. When I set out on this journey, I wanted something in state, so I can be close to family. I am so tossed and weighed down by the burden of decision making.
Any guidance is truly appreciated - both from peers and senior members. Thank you all for this dialog, encouragement, support, and knowledge sharing.

uworld works very well, if you buy a short period of time then it will not be that expensive, but it works very well and i love it

All 4 choices you have are from public universities and you have the almost the same merit aid for allā€¦Since you are OOS, the fees for VCU, UConn or Stony Brook should be almost the sameā€¦Slight difference should not matter here!

UCONN SPIM WITH $25K/Yr seems the best option to me. Finance definitely sweetens the deal but I would go with UConn even without the finance!

Please call the UG colleges to find out the decision. Usually med schools share the result with UG and UG shares with us!

You do have two good BA-BS/MD options! Congratulations.

@amenmom - RPI put most of kids in the ā€œUnder Considerationā€ state which is better than ā€œwait listā€ state per my understanding. They usually offer seats to many of the kids from here. If your child is ā€œUnder Considerationā€, you should email/call them to show interest.

Most of the above colleges - WashU, BU, Rutgers have released not only their BS/MD but also their UG results for 2020.
The exception is UPitt which postponed their BS/MD interview to September.
Rutgers had two interviews before selection - one at UG level and another at Med school.

For each of these schools, you should be able to see your result in the Undergrad Application portal. When students apply to colleges, the UG sends them a PIN to login. Usually by this time, students have logged in multiple times to check their statusesā€¦

thanks! we are under consideration. will follow up.

I too would pick UIC GPPA just like @PPofEngrDr. In particular, the Med school seems pretty solid for both Primary care and Research.

D got into LKSOM in March 2020 as Temple PPHS BS/MD. If you do not want another cycle of medical apps via traditional route, go for BS/MD. Otherwise, take Vanderbilt UG with full-tuition scholarship.

what are your 3 BS/MD options and the 2 Ivys? We are in the same boat with VCU, NJMS, GWU and Duke. With my DS liking Duke>GWU>VCU>NJMS.

If you have not been communicated about NJMS BS/MD directly yet, you should call the feeder schools to find out the outcome.

[quote=ā€œgrtd2010, post:5540, topic:2054445ā€]

@ata2020
In general, an interview with SOM is a necessary condition for an admission to medical schools.
NJMS no interview, no bs/md.
USPM, Did you interview there ?
BU BS/MD, no interview, no bs/md.
UPitts BS/MD interview is scheduled in Sep 2020 and those selected for interview have already been notified.

Any accredited US medical school will prepare you for a MD degree since they all follow the same curriculum. Any MD school with scholarship for UG should be a great option such as Stoney Brook. If you have NJMS BS/MD option, it is closer to your home, take it.

You have been wait listed at a few Ivies. Which ones ? Cornell is a known grade deflator school. Princeton is closer to your home if you are wait-listed there. Are you prestige obsessed ? They do not pay you as an MD based on your UG or rank of medical school attended. All these are for bragging rights. NYU is an expensive school not in category of Ivies for UG.

Thank you to many experts on the forum that provide invaluable information. I wish I knew about this forum a few years ago. I came to know about this forum only a few months ago.

My C received following acceptances and I really appreciate the advice and guidance from the experts on this forum.

UMKC 6 year program.
Temple PPHS (with full tuition)

We are out of state for both.

Thank you

Take Temple PPHS with full tuition scholarship. D got a provisional acceptance to LKSOM last month as a Temple PPHS.

Thatā€™s minimalist view. Wanting to go to a reputed school where they may get to interact with renowned faculty and researchers is not prestige obsession. Not everything is about money. One thing to remember is more and more doctors are becoming employees like any other professions i.e. not many mom and pop or small group practices. So going to good medical school (or residency or fellowship) may help you land a good first job. This is based on my experience and what I have been observing last 15 years with physician recruiting.

Thank you @grtd2010 . Congratulations to your daughter for receiving the acceptance to LKSOM . Did she do 3+4 or 4+4 . My C really wanted to do 3+4. We really liked Temple.

Temple has (4+4) as a default but one can choose (3+4) based on first semester grade. She did not opt for (3+4).

Stony Brook, RPI-Albany, Hofstra
Columbia, Penn
NYU, UPitt

You assumption about great research and faculty only at highly ranked medical schools is NOT true. Most medical schools depend on research dollars from NIH. They have good research programs. Research is the backbone of most universities and faculty gets evaluated based on research dollars they bring in. It is not about money but a prestige obsession. As far as residency and fellowships are concerned, they are open to all medical school students and are not reserved for highly ranked medical schools. Every one competes for them and may the best win. Remember USMLE step 1 score being used as a screen for highly sought after residencies. There will probably be a similar measure. It is not like a caste system.