***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

Hi everybody, I’m a senior from New York. I recently got into SBU’s BS/MD. I know it’s a wonderful program, but I’m having trouble choosing between SBU and Cornell engineering. You guys are very knowledgeable about all the BS/MD programs, can you tell me some pros and cons about Stony Brook’s program?

What do you want to be an Engineer or Doctor or both (Biomedical Engineering + MD ??) ? Let that be your guide. Cornell is a tough school and a known grade deflator school for pre-meds. What would you major at Cornell Engineering ?

I was accepted to both programs as a Biomedical Engineering major. I am not 100% set on being a doctor, so Cornell is attractive because I have room to explore, however, it will essentially close the door on medicine for me (doing pre-med and engineering is too difficult at Cornell). I enjoy engineering, but I do not think I’m set on doing that as my entire career. I really love a lot of aspects of being a doctor, but I wanted to know as much as I can about SBU’s program before committing.

Every medical school has research but amount money and type of research varies vastly hence separate research rankings.

It’s a caste system. Look at T20 match list, dominated by high castes (T20s) with some reservations for low castes if you want to use caste system (from India) analogy.

Thanks @Vicky2019 for your input.

Thanks for your input. One needs to find someone from a higher caste willing to marry.

@SriSow

I would boil it down between Stonybrook and Penn/Jeff.

Stonybrook probably may be the cheapest considering full tuition scholarship. It is 8 years tough and in Long Island where travel logistics could be more involved. But it is at one location.
Penn/Jeff is 7 years and students can complete Penn undergrad in 2.5 years considering the various AP/IB credits you can get.

Both Stonybrook and Jeff are strong medical schools.

@srk2017

Humble suggestion - do not bring caste or caste system into these conversations.

There are much better analogies than a complex topic like caste.

Our S got into Stony Brook and PSU/SKMC as well. We picked PSU/SKMC.

Our S got full OOS scholarship and NMF scholarship at Stony Brook. PSU/SKMC has no scholarship.

Inspite of the scholarship, the cost difference is only about 40K for the two programs - Stony Brook 8 yr and PSU/SKMC 7 yr

Thank you to everyone on the forum for providing some great information. I have been looking at this forum since the time of applying and it has been very helpful.

I have gotten acceptances into 2 BS/MD programs and needed some guidance.

VCU GMED
Upstate (Adelphi UG)- Made this a 7 year (3+4) due to existing college credit

Out of state for both

Thank you

My picks would be Columbia or Penn if you are not 100% sure about medicine as your profession.

My close friend’s son picked Columbia after HS 4 years back. He wanted to become a Doctor but was not 100% sure. He will be graduating from UG this year. His career preference changed. He is joining one of top management consultancy firms this summer!

If you are sure that you want to become a Doctor, I would pick Stony Brook among the three! BA/MD is cost-effective and you will have guaranteed seat in the medical college.

My rough calculation for the two schools -
Stony Brook room, board etc. ended up costing 20K/yr. So, 80K for 4 years
i wanted to clarify that Stony Brook medical college is more expensive than Jefferson by 30+ K for 4 years at medical school.

Whereas Penn State UG+ Medical school tution/fees/room/meals is less.

@Vicky2019

You must be PA resident for Penn/Jeff and Stonybrook cost difference to be within 40K.

For OOS, Stonybrook works to be much cheaper than Penn/Jeff (even after factoring difference of 1 year).

Yes, The poster is OOS for PSU.

For PSU, OOS tuition is almost double (18,454 in-state, oos 34,858). SKMC tuition is ~55-57k/per year similar to Temple LKSOM. Not paying PSU OOS tuition is a savings of ~105k (3 years) with full-tuition scholarship at Stoneybrook. There should be other rationale beside financial cost to choose PSU over Stoneybrook. SOMs are ranked very close to each other by USN.

@srk2017 I got the Chancellor’s Scholarship at Vanderbilt

You are in a good company here with @srk2017 son at Vanderbilt.

Did you get any scholarship form either of them ? What is the CPA for both ?

The poster is OOS for PSU. For SKMC, the diffrence between in-state vs OOS will be only 10-12k. The savings for SBU with scholarship should be ~110k.

One has to take MCAT by Jan of Junior year before interview with LKSOM for (3+4) where as one can take MCAT until mid May for (4+4). Some Temple PPHS have taken MCAT in Jan of Junior year where as most take during March-May of Junior year. It is advised to take MCAT after taking a Biochemistry class.

Does anyone have any specifics on the Drexel program?