***Official Thread for 2020 BSMD applicants***

@kush22 I conquer too as long as bank is not breaking for OOS UG cost.

This group has been so helpful and thanks to everyone who chimes in with your perspective! My DC has been accepted into the following programs, and would like your advice on which way to go:

1. NJMS -Newark location feeder
  2. VCU
  3. UMKC
  4. University of Minnesota (resident only).
    Any advice would be appreciated!

Thank you Vicky2019!

@kush22

Sorry to hear about you bsmd situation.

Michigan will be a great choice and offers tremendous opportunities to connect with micigan medicine and start research even as a freshman. The flip side is the amount of distractions. There are many shiny pennies on state street. Staying focused is important. There are tons of opportunities but you have to get them.

Second factor is cost. OOS is expensive… so if money is a factor, this may not be an easy choice and you could look at pitt.

55percent of premeds matriculate into med schools. They are most transparent with data and do not use DO to fluff their numbers. This is first time applicants only without counting gap year etc… only so a very clean stat. Plus they have no committe letter so there is no weed out of applicants. Career dev and advising office will do a good job of guiding you. There is no seperate premed advising.

LSA science professors are quite stingy with grades but very fair. Doing just minimum is a sure low B but putting in effort will get you an A. Google michigan grade guide. Using FIA, some students got the grades given for each class and have developed a cool app to show the grade distribution. I am speaking from experience. We are 2 generation wolverines. My DD will not be going there as she is deciding between HPME and SMED. My DS is a dual degree student on a non premed path.

Social life is great. Dorms are good. Ann arbor is Ann arbor. Solid school.

@asiantripletmom - Congratulations! to your DC on multiple BA/MD acceptances.

I truly heard about U of Minnesota’s BA/MD for the first time today! I looked up on internet and found that it is a relatively new program created especially to encourage gifted in-state students to remain in state and not go out to other state’s to study BA-BS/MD

With this background, my pick would be to go with University of Minnesota’s ba/md program.

University of Minnesota
ug usnwr: 70
University of Minnesota is ranked No. 40 (tie) in Best Medical Schools: Research and No. 15 in Best Medical Schools: Primary Care. No other program on your DC’s list has Rank#15 on primary care! This is a T20 med school :slight_smile:

I didn’t notice any particular GPA or MCAT score requirement. The only requirement is that students prepare and sit for the MCAT exam!

Students who participate in the BA/MD JAS Program are limited to one of these majors - Biology, Society, and Environment or Physiology. Is this a drawback for your DC?

This program is obviously not famous by design - since it is limited only to in-state students…

Now I am wondering, what your concern was with each of your options, when you came to this forum? Does your DC have a preference?

Can you share your DC’s stats/results in the “BS-MD 2020 result forum” so we understand your perspective.

If you don’t mind my asking, I noticed your profile says “triplet mom”. I am very curious to know if you are a mom of triplets? If yes, are they all High school seniors this year? Is more than one child trying for BS-MS/MD programs this year?

@asiantripletmom U of Minnesota.

1. University of Minnesota
  2. NJMS
  3. VCU UMKC is a 6 yr program, very stressful for students.

UVA is the best choice among the three.

Did anybody hear any news from UPitt GAP program? The decision is so UNFAIR for the students who have been working on the applications for months or even years.

@ Vicky2019 @goldenrock @ grtd2010 Thank you all very much for your advice! DC was very impressed by all the programs that she interviewed. Each program has its strength. It has been a difficult decision to give up any one of them. Her stats are comparable to many outstanding kids here on this board. I feel so sorry for a few that did not work out despite stellar stats. There are many programs that have early assurance admissions such as Georgetown, Tufts, etc. Perhaps your children can look into those before the traditional route? Yes, I am a mom of triplets. Two applied and both have received acceptances. We have been very lucky in this cycle and we are extremely grateful! Special thanks to all the parents and kids on this board!

Do we know what percentage get the committee letters (or what percentage eliminated before making it to the 90% matriculants)?

We are also interested in knowing fact about Rice too.
How many students join Rice as premed?How many actually apply to med school?
How many get committee letters?
How many get acceptance to med school?

I am almost sure that will be the case. If not please share it here, and it will also make it easy for your Penn State decision :-).

@kush22

If it is not too late and not much difference in cost why not reconsider either UNC or Emory? Much warmer weather, both have great med schools and I am sure your C will do great at either of them and may be able to take advantage of EAP kind of things there.
The a acceptance rates at UNC for OOS could be even in single digits. Duke med school is not too far for pursuing any unique medical ECs.

@mom2boys1999 @GoldenRock Hi, sorry for the late response. Yes, we are in-state, and she got a full ride at both schools. She toured UF and UCF and prefers UF’s environment over UCF’s. If UF, she wants to go the Engineering premed route. However, UCF’s BS/MD program is probably still a better option if her goal is Medical School. Here are her stats,

ACT: 35
SAT: 1500+
SAT Chem: 800, SAT Math 2: 800, SAT Physics: 760
GPA: 3.92(UW), 4.87 (W)
She had a very rigorous curriculum (packed with Math and Science Classes AP/IB)

Yes UF does have a 7 yr BS/MD; however, you do not know if you are accepted until sophomore year, and it is a tough process (with a low acceptance rate). So, I do not suggest accepting UF if that is the only reason why. My D absolutely loved their curriculum and has a lot of friends going there.

The poster’s C went to a very competitive public magnet HS in NJ which does not offer many AP courses. It explains a 3.9+ UW GPA and 5 APs only. Probably can do well at BU UG based on rigor of high school.

[/quote]

Perhaps should have taken APs outside of the High School setting. I tend to see 11 APs being references very commonly.

[/quote]

The 11 or 12 APs being mentioned often by the many wonderful students here, includes the senior year (example C had all courses in senior as APs except gym and Anatomy & physiology - had to sacrifice another AP for this subject).

5 APs with all 5s in them by the end of junior year is sufficient and impressive enough for these programs. That need not be the explanation. However, how many of those 5 are BCPM matters.

It is better if the school offers the APs/IB and they go on transcript than taking it outside and reporting on the application (should have been a consideration along with the amount of competition, when enrolling in that school). If your C did not at least register on own for 5 or 6 APs in senior year, and it hasn’t been mentioned on the applications, it would have put in a disadvantaged position both for BS/MD and merit based scholarships in traditional route.

UF has a great Engineering School and is a much better option than UCF. UF COM is ranked higher than UCF’s SOM. If full ride in both, why not UF ?

Perhaps should have taken APs outside of the High School setting. I tend to see 11 APs being references very commonly.

[/quote]

The 11 or 12 APs being mentioned often by the many wonderful students here, includes the senior year (example C had all courses in senior as APs except gym and Anatomy & physiology - had to sacrifice another AP for this subject).

5 APs with all 5s in them by the end of junior year is sufficient and impressive enough for these programs. That need not be the explanation. However, how many of those 5 are BCPM matters.

It is better if the school offers the APs/IB and they go on transcript than taking it outside and reporting on the application (should have been a consideration along with the amount of competition, when enrolling in that school). If your C did not at least register on own for 5 or 6 APs in senior year, and it hasn't been mentioned on the applications, it would have put in a disadvantaged position both for BS/MD and merit based scholarships in traditional route.

[/quote]

How many APs a school offers vs a competitive public magnet high school admission ? One can register to take test on their own for as many APs as one wants from their home school district starting from Freshman. Pay the fees, study on own and take the AP tests. Some have done it to save tuition in future if they go to at places like NYU.
This is just all speculation/hearsay. Any published data or study to back it up ? I guess giltch/no data.

Thank you!